Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a fan of white letter tires so I had the dealer turn them around. Well, ever since I can feel & see a vibration in the seats.

Dealer balanced them 3 times to no avail & claims it's normal to feel some vibration. I know what an unbalanced tire feels like not to mention it was smooth as glass before they turned them. I feel & see it most at 65, which is usually the magic #.

Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
what brand of tires? the stock Badyears? if so, go to a goodyear shop. explain the issue, and what the dealership has tried. i had a problem when i first got mine and goodyear replaced the tire. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DRKSDE said:
I'm not a fan of white letter tires so I had the dealer turn them around. Well, ever since I can feel & see a vibration in the seats.

Dealer balanced them 3 times to no avail & claims it's normal to feel some vibration. I know what an unbalanced tire feels like not to mention it was smooth as glass before they turned them. I feel & see it most at 65, which is usually the magic #.

Anybody else experience this?
Where are you located? If your in so cal I might be able to help. I'm leaving for the weekend but will be back by monday pm if your in so cal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bhudda454 said:
what brand of tires? the stock Badyears? if so, go to a goodyear shop. explain the issue, and what the dealership has tried. i had a problem when i first got mine and goodyear replaced the tire. hope this helps.
Yes the stocker Goodyears but it wasn't a problem until the turned them.

I'm going to another Nissan dealer for a second opinion but I wanted to check with my forum buds first.

Thanks for your input,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Titanequipped said:
Where are you located? If your in so cal I might be able to help. I'm leaving for the weekend but will be back by monday pm if your in so cal.
Ha I'm in SC but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
NP I'm in the business, so I was going to have you go somewhere and meet you, or have you go down to my warehouse and balance on one of those really expensive balancers.....:D

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
im no smarty but after driving on them for a while would put some partern of wear, now that you flipped yours tires your going against that pattern.. maybe just try driving off the patern till the new one comes out.. hope my uneducated guess helped..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
well... did they just turn the rims around or did they actually turn the tires around... sorry couldn't resist that...:D

did you try rotating the tires to see if it is better?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
killcatzforfun said:
im no smarty but after driving on them for a while would put some partern of wear, now that you flipped yours tires your going against that pattern.. maybe just try driving off the patern till the new one comes out.. hope my uneducated guess helped..
They were flipped @ 480 miles...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cneary812 said:
well... did they just turn the rims around or did they actually turn the tires around... sorry couldn't resist that...:D

did you try rotating the tires to see if it is better?
Ha real funny.

No I didn't, the odd thing is the fronts seem fine; smooth as glass actually. I just don't understand how the same balancer can be off on the backs but perfect on the front. Like I sd the tires only had 480 miles on them & the ride was smooth as glass b/4 the dealer balanced them.

I actually went to an independent tire shop Friday and had the rears balanced on a Hunter machine. I watched the guy & he sd they were both "out". On the way home it was better but at highway speeds I still have vibration.

I just don't get it. One thing I did notice is that the factory balance uses stick on weights on the inner wheel & both the dealer & independent shop used lead weights on the lip; could this be the difference?

When I get time I'm going to another Nissan dealer & demand that they "Get it Right" or warranty me a new set of tires!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DRKSDE said:

When I get time I'm going to another Nissan dealer & demand that they "Get it Right" or warranty me a new set of tires!
Even so you'll still be stuck with goodyears and this will happen again. I did a simple front to back rotate and got a vibration that didn't exist before. Balancing may or may not solve my problem because they are goodyears - and I've NEVER had a set of goodyears wear out before going out of round. I'm not sure what their problem is, but they can't make non-square tires...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clancy said:
Even so you'll still be stuck with goodyears and this will happen again. I did a simple front to back rotate and got a vibration that didn't exist before. Balancing may or may not solve my problem because they are goodyears - and I've NEVER had a set of goodyears wear out before going out of round. I'm not sure what their problem is, but they can't make non-square tires...
Maybe you dealer has idiot techs too.

Most imperfections can be balanced out so there is no excuse for our issues. Maybe vibration isn't the best way to explain my symptom; it's more like a shimmy or wiggle (side-to-side) feeling in the seat but nothing in the steering wheel.

I've dealt with balancing issues on many diff vehicles from the time I was 16 & not once was it the wheels; always the balancer or the tech.

·
Registered
52 Posts
find a shop that balance tires on the truck w/o taking them might work.i have goodyear tires rotated 2 time's have not noticed a problem

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As to balancing wheels, the better balance would be to use pound on wts. both inside and out. Seeing that you don't usually want to see wts., a tape wt. is good as long as there at least 4" apart. I prefer at least 5" apart. With that said, make sure they use a direct tape wt. placement feature on the balancer. Any good tire shop should have this. As to know which tires are causing a vibration, is it coming from the floorboard, seat or steering wheel? Let me know and I'll be able to assist you further.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Titanequipped said:
As to balancing wheels, the better balance would be to use pound on wts. both inside and out. Seeing that you don't usually want to see wts., a tape wt. is good as long as there at least 4" apart. I prefer at least 5" apart. With that said, make sure they use a direct tape wt. placement feature on the balancer. Any good tire shop should have this. As to know which tires are causing a vibration, is it coming from the floorboard, seat or steering wheel? Let me know and I'll be able to assist you further.
Thanks for helping me out man as I'm really getting frustrated; also not giving me a good feeling as a first time Nissan owner :flame:.

I can feel the vibration in my seat & I can see the psngr seat wobble anywhere from 45-60.

Here's the latest:

I refuse to go back to the incompetent dealer that screwed up the balance & damaged my truck, that's another thread, so I visited 2 other tire shops:

> The first did only a static balance with clip on weights on the inside lip; better but still not like before & vibration was most noticeable when towing.

> The second shop, a national chain, spun the tires, removed all the weights & spun again performing a Dynamic balance with clip ons on the inner lip & stick ons on the inner hub; again better but still vibration.

I do have another Nissan dealer but they will only schedule an appt during the week and I just don't have the time right now.

I have read other complaints abt the stocker Goodyears but I know an unbalanced tire when I feel it. What puzzles me though is the front tires seem fine as I feel nothing in the steering wheel and the dealer that screwed it up to begin with did the balance???

So what do you rec?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
DRKSDE said:
I can feel the vibration in my seat & I can see the psngr seat wobble anywhere from 45-60.

that scares me that your testing the passenger seat at 45 to 60.. i hope u did slap her in cruise control and slide over... lol...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well if you feel it in the seat, it's more than likely in the rear tires. I don't care if they're goodyears, they should be able to balance on stock wheels. How do your tires look, ie do they have high and low spots, if that's the case, you can't balance that out. Make sure everything is torqued down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did this ever get resolved.....I am having similar problems with my '07, dealer has balanced the wheels and I am still getting a vibration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts