Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been wondering this a long time. I have 2008 Titan and it's the size I am accustomed to (and for many years/decades prior) what a 1/2 ton should be. And for a long time, been looking to replace my Titan with something, not necessarily Nissan, and have noticed that trucks are just a lot friggin bigger. Why? Why did they do that and when did they do that? Was it 2015? I mean pretty much all manufacturers. They are taller, wider. My brother has an F150 that is several years old and riding in that is like being in a tank. It is the opposite of nimble to me. I do NOT like this modern 'bigness.' Did they do it just to justify their jacked up prices? (Why I have yet to pull the trigger on a new truck!)

I realize that a lot of trucks, including mine, have crew cabs. I mean in addition to that, they are taller and wider. Mostly the taller bugs me. Getting into a truck at my advancing age is an issue and certainly hopping up into the bed is an issue! Even loading the bed with firewood, etc.

EDIT: BTW, I found this -- you are not imagining things, trucks are bigger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel the same way you do. About having a slightly more compact truck. It is much better in my opinion. But I think trucks have always been bulky. Nissan was bucking the trend when they decided to build a full size truck that is on the smaller size. I guess that's why some people call the titan a midsize truck. I can assure you tho mine does not perform like a "small" truck. The reason trucks are heavier these days than in the 90s is because they have more crew cabs now. In the 90s most trucks were single cab or king cab.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I feel my 2021 looks smaller than my 2018. Walking up to it in a parking lot, it just looks smaller. Maybe its just me.

Reactions: 4sarge

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
trucks are outrageously huge. i have had a truck since high school. not always a full size but that's what i grew up driving, an 85 f150 extended cab and then an 88 chevy 1500 single cab and trucks now days are so large you cannot park in normal spots at the supermarket or the person next to you is going to hit your door getting into their car or truck.

i notice it especially when walking up to the truck in the parking lot. you have like 10-12" on each side of the truck till you are on the lines. so your door has hardly any room to open, especially if the vehicle next to you is another huge truck/suv

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably happened around the same time they became family haulers and luxury vehicles. Rode in my FIL's new Tahoe a few days back and the sight lines over the hood are worse than some semi trucks. If you want a truck that can haul 50 people inside, 100k ton towing with 20k in the bed, and do so in heated and cooled leather message seats.............well the engine, transmission, and fuel tank have to go somewhere. I think the size increase is mostly meant to make them look more masculine and also to partly justify the price increases.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Every time i look at my 21 Pro4 it just looks small to me compared to my 17 Silverado I had. But the more I look at it and compare its size to all the other half ton options, I dig that its a tad bit smaller. I wanted a ZR2 but there is no room in the back especially for 3 growing kids. I didnt want another Ram, Chevy or F150 because I've owned all those before and I really didnt want another full size truck. Thats where the Titan stood out. More power than all the others and in a slightly smaller package. Thats a win win for me

People have labeled the XD a 5/8 ton. I consider my Titan a 3/8 ton :)

·
Premium Member
20,942 Posts
Ford increased the height of the 2017 Superduty series of trucks. So much so, that fifth wheel owners complained that their trailers no longer "fit". Ford finally got around to lowering the height a bit in 2020.

My RV trailer is a bumper pull, so the height of my 2017 hasn't bothered me. I'm not saying I look down on you "smaller" trucks, but when I pull up to an intersection, you're looking up at me. :)

Reactions: aaronedmonton

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I haven't noticed it so much with the full size trucks, but what happened to a Ford Ranger sized pickup? I can't believe nobody sells something that size, and I'm not talking about the new Colorado's or Taco's or new Rangers. Something like an S-10 sized machine. I would think there is a demand for that product.

I just wish they'd make a plain jane truck again. Simple.

Reactions: busemans

·
Premium Member
20,942 Posts
I haven't noticed it so much with the full size trucks, but what happened to a Ford Ranger sized pickup? I can't believe nobody sells something that size, and I'm not talking about the new Colorado's or Taco's or new Rangers. Something like an S-10 sized machine. I would think there is a demand for that product.

Agreed. Bedsides for the new Ranger and Colorado are tall! I no longer try to put anything into the bed of my F-350 from the sides. Everything goes through the lowered tailgate.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ford increased the height of the 2017 Superduty series of trucks. So much so, that fifth wheel owners complained that their trailers no longer "fit". Ford finally got around to lowering the height a bit in 2020.

My RV trailer is a bumper pull, so the height of my 2017 hasn't bothered me. I'm not saying I look down on you "smaller" trucks, but when I pull up to an intersection, you're looking up at me. :)

·
Premium Member
20,942 Posts
How much clearance to the garage frame?

·
Registered
2019 Titan SV 4x4
20 Posts

I'm interested to see if Ford is going to actually going to introduce the Maverick in the next year. It would be really cool to see a legitimate small truck made by one of the big companies. If one does it and it's successful, you know the rest will follow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested to see if Ford is going to actually going to introduce the Maverick in the next year. It would be really cool to see a legitimate small truck made by one of the big companies. If one does it and it's successful, you know the rest will follow.
Today, I came across a VW car/truck. I think it is called Tarok. It was going to be produced in Brazil, as I recall, but covid messed that up. It's real cool looking. Reminds me of something useful for people who want something like an the old El Camino of my day. A car with a truck bed. When e-cars get more mainstream, I'd bet money somebody is going to produce a real small compact truck for cheap.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
i see those odd south American vehicles pretty often here in south texas. sometimes they are super cool and sometimes they are horrible looking. some of the trucks they get would be nice though

·
Registered
2018 Titan XD
4 Posts
I hate driving my Titan XD on confined city streets, if we go into Austin (the nearest city) we take my wife's Tacoma which can still be tough to park.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just traded in 17' SL for 21' Pro 4X. For whatever reason it didn't come with side steps. I definitely think 4x is higher than SL. Little awkward to get into as I wait for the steps. Just seems taller when walking by it in garage too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts