Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05' and I use tow mode when towing my 2000lb tailer and usually leave OD on, but when SHOULD I be using it?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
With a trailer only weighing about 2000 lbs, I wouldn't worry too much about running in 5th. If you hit a steep hill, you might want to drop down to 4th, but otherwise it's 5th.
When you get around 5000 lbs, then towing in 4th gear might be the way to go.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
loufish said:
With a trailer only weighing about 2000 lbs, I wouldn't worry too much about running in 5th. If you hit a steep hill, you might want to drop down to 4th, but otherwise it's 5th.
When you get around 5000 lbs, then towing in 4th gear might be the way to go.
I agree 100%, 2000lbs. is nothing for the Titan. But like loufish stated, when you get up around the 5K mark it would be wise to take it out of OD and into a lower gear.

·
Super Moderator
159,625 Posts
And watch your tranny temp gauge as another indicator. I doubt you'll see it climb with that light a trailer behind you, but if you do, drop it on down a gear. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree with the others... 2k lb trailer is nothing... The auto downshift thing kind of annoys me sometimes so I often just leave it in 4 until I'm on the freeway. I don't think I've ever read it anywhere but I believe the auto shift down only works in D.... when I tow my TT I use the tranny more like a stick than an auto or the tow mode helps too for when I have my hands full.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts