Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, whats wrong? I cant afford to have two broken trucks.

And I ment drive shaft not axle. sorry.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will go get it, and it is something I can do my self?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I will go get it, and it is something I can do my self?
That depends.
Are you mechanically incllined?
The drive shaft is easily removed with 4 bolts at the rear and then it slides off of the tailshaft on the trans.
The seal is probably something you pry out with a hook tool.
Setting the new seal in can often be done with a large socket used as a drift.
Then, reinstall the driveshaft.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yea, pretty simple. just remove the u-joint at the read end and slide the driveline out. You can then pry the seal out and install a new one.

Tips:
Pack the back side of the seal with some grease to keep the spring from popping out while you install it.
Have some rags handy as some trans fluid will probably come out when you slide the driveline out, you wont need all of it but have a quart of trans fluid so you can replace any that leaks out.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say im good with my tools, I have done everything my self so far.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive googled with nothing all rear axle seals, any pictures or a how to????? I just want to see what im getting in to first.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
PM coming your way bro.....:) And IMO if you are handy with the tools it is something that you could do yourself.
this guy... he cant even turn a wrench... pays people to work on his truck lol

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Nothing to be afraid of.

Try googling tailshaft seal replacement.
It is going to be the same on dang near any machine with front engine, rear wheel drive.

Reactions: 07 TITAN

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You tube is the best!!!!!!!! I cant do this!!!!! Tommrow it will be all sealed up.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bad I ment I CAN DO THIS!!!! But will the whole axle slide out? There is two parts, one goes throught a carrier thing.

So just take the 4 bolts off and slide it through the back??

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anybody^^^^^^^^^^^ I have the parts and will do it when the wife gets home form Easter shoping. I just want to know it the center support will be a problem? Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
Center support should be no problem at all, but you will still have to remove the u-joint/flange at the rear end and just drop the whole thing as one piece, center support and all.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oh, and one more thing, if you end up splitting the two drivelines apart, make sure you mark where they were in relationship to each other, you want it to put it back together exactly how it came apart.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and one more thing, if you end up splitting the two drivelines apart, make sure you mark where they were in relationship to each other, you want it to put it back together exactly how it came apart.
Thanks will mark everything. Nissan wanted $399.98 for the job. I laughed and said just give me the seal. OTD was $76.26 and thats with a air dam for my front bumper.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it done in about 3.5 hours. The hardest part was the jacking, I hate scissor jacks. Ate some Arbys and let my son help out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts