Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see who has not had to change battery yet....I still have the OEM battery....

·
Registered
333 Posts
I still have mine. The top of the battery is wet and I probably should replace it soon. I just haven't decided if I should go to Autozone or Nissan.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had mine until two weeks ago. I drove to work, stopped to get a paper and it was DEAD. Jumped it and drove for ten minutes looking for a shop to check the battery, none were open, went to work and it died when I pulled into the parking lot at work. Had to coast into a spot. Put in a new battery and all was good. 59,000 miles when it died with no warning. I told my wife back in May before we started camping I should go ahead and get a battery in case it quit at the lake, but never did. New 72 month battery from NAPA was $71.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Original Battery
Original Brakes
Original Diff ...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I still have the original battery as well.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Most auto batteries are good for 5 to 6 years. At least that has been my experience. Other than leaving the lights on a lot or having the key turned and listening to the radio without the engine running, there really should be no reason for '04 owners to think about changing their battery until '09

·
Registered
561 Posts
Still have the original one as well...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
PRJ said:
there really should be no reason for '04 owners to think about changing their battery until '09
Still have mine as well, purchased her in Jan '04.........but there's no way the battery will last until 09. No way........but I've done the usual, leave-radio-on-at-a-tailgate-party thing a couple times

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have the original battery, doesn't look to good and its been drained dead by the radio at the party a couple of times, but still works strong/holds a charge. Its also getting some drain by my punch amp that peaks at 2100 watts draw...if I turn on the lights in the overhead, it dims when the bass hits.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
PRJ said:
Most auto batteries are good for 5 to 6 years. At least that has been my experience. Other than leaving the lights on a lot or having the key turned and listening to the radio without the engine running, there really should be no reason for '04 owners to think about changing their battery until '09
The problem is alot of Titan owners have had the Batts die...and when they die they die NOW. There is no warning.

·
Registered
561 Posts
BuckyBadger said:
The problem is alot of Titan owners have had the Batts die...and when they die they die NOW. There is no warning.
True. I've read a couple of threads lately with members saying that it happened, and I'm seriously thinking about switching before I become one of them...

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
I still have the OEM battery and have been thinking about buying a new one after several posts here!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
my oem battery died at 106k!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Still have original (larger tow pkg battery). I put distilled water in a few of the cells just a few weeks ago. It didn't take much water to fill it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
DawgBone said:
True. I've read a couple of threads lately with members saying that it happened, and I'm seriously thinking about switching before I become one of them...
Yep that did it for me, without warning I don’t care to be stranded.
02/04 build w/44,k & still working but it's gone... the battery that is.

Maintained the original with periodic distilled water, clean terminals etc..
Still faintly perceptive, the starter motor became slower & top would become wet while terminals would quickly build with corrosion.
So last week in with new… huge starter motor speed change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine at the dealer last November for a leaking transmission line. When I picked it up the service advisor said that I was in need of a new battery. The test they ran showed sub par results. I still have not changed it...62,000 miles and still going.

I have been thinking of buying an Optima.

BTW, the dealer wanted $140.00 for a new battery. lol

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Judster said:
I had mine at the dealer last November for a leaking transmission line. When I picked it up the service advisor said that I was in need of a new battery. The test they ran showed sub par results. I still have not changed it...62,000 miles and still going.

I have been thinking of buying an Optima.

BTW, the dealer wanted $140.00 for a new battery. lol
I couldnt find an Optima to match the cranking amps of the stock, I guess you could go larger but it needs to fit the cradle under the hood.

·
Registered
364 Posts
DawgBone said:
Careful, you might be increasing your probablility of failure by buying a new battery. There are, in general, two failure modes for the batteries. The most obvious is age (sulfation). A 2004 battery should have another couple years left, as stated above.^

The other failure mode is from a manufacturing defect. Buying a new battery is like rolling the dice again in terms of buying a defect. If you have not had a sudden catastrophic failure in the last 3 years, your battery is probably defect-free. You have a proven performer. Hang on to it until it wears out. For the next few years it will be less likely to fail than a brand new one off the shelf.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts