Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
still have the original OEM battery but only have 27K on my 04 so I don't expect it to go out anytime soon, although I have thought about changing it - I changed from an OEM to a Die Hard years ago on my Tundra and the difference was amazing....it seemed to start better and seemed to run better too...not sure why, just surprised me

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
OEM 28K miles.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Still have mine...but I am going tio change it soon...don't want to be caught in the middle of winter with my pants down and no heat!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
There are a couple of things that will kill a battery: improper maintenance and frequent deep discharges. The first, easy...

The second: When you charge a battery, you build up a 'scale', or 'coating' on the plates; if the battery is charged at a high rate, this coating gets pretty thick, and it gets spotty in places. When the battery is discharged, this scale falls to the bottom of the battery. There is a certain amount of space at the bottom of the battery to receive this scale. Batteries are sized for the normal starting and charging rates, so the plates are designed to be a certain distance apart, and the space at the battery is designed to be a certain depth. This is why deep-discharge batteries tend to be taller and thicker: there's more space between the plates, and lots more space at the bottom of the battery to catch the lead sulfate scale. Higher quality starting batteries will usually have a compromise in plate spacing and depth, slanted toward a deep-discharge type. If you remember the old Chrysler "Group 20" starting batteries, those things were tiny in comparison with their recommended replacements of "Group 24" batteries. Smaller = cheaper.

So when you regularly discharge a battery deeply and charge it hard, you severely shorten its life. The scale builds up fast, and eventually shorts out the plates (because it's conductive).

Me? I'm terminally cheap, so I switch off all accessories like the lights and such about 5 seconds before I switch the engine off, to give the system a moment to top off the charge on the battery.

I have 60,000 miles on this OE battery; truck was bought 1-04. My wife's Pathfinder finally had to have her OE battery replaced four months ago; her car has 132,000 miles on it and it's a '96.

Also, one thing to keep in mind: our trucks, being so highly 'electronified', have a certain minimum battery voltage that they will tolerate in order to run all the engine electronics. If the battery voltage falls below that minimum level, or can be pulled to beneath that minimum, the truck will turn over but not start. So you'll get cases where you have NOTHING = battery voltage has fallen far below the minimum; or you have cranking but a no-start condition = battery voltage can be pulled below the minimum by the starter turning the engine over.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
original battery here too with 46k miles. Although it covered my positive cable "thingy" with acid and its starting to not "sound as strong" on startup so i may need a new one soon.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I still have my OE battery. I have over 40000 miles and have had my Titan since April '04. It has been discharged a couple of times, but it always bounces right back and starts strong.

·
Registered
579 Posts
One month short of 3 years with about 52,000 km - still original battery and still going strong

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Wow !!!!
A lot more than i thought from some of the posts i have read... Thanks for the input guys...I guess i will let mine ride until i have to replace it....Good thing i have AAA for backup if needed....

·
Registered
257 Posts
got my oem big tow battery still running in the 04, still looks brand new too, with about 8,300 mi on it.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
52,000 miles and mine is going strong, (Big Tow HD battery).

I might order the Odyssey dry cell battery that hooligan posted about recently. Supposed to be better than the Optima. Expensive but long life, and totally sealed. Starter and deep cycle in one. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/943919-post3.html

21 - 40 of 191 Posts