Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2006 nissan titan with 94,000 miles and i noticed a whinning sound under the hood on the driver side somewhere on the engine. when i idle up the engine i dont hear it but when it idles back down in park you can hear it whinning like a bad power steering pump but kinda on the quiet side. its not the belt, power steering pump, pully etc. im thinking its the injectors but not sure. any help????????

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
Must be either the turbo or supercharger.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless they come stock with turbo or a supercharger that's not the answer, but I wish it was!!!!!

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I don't think injectors would make that kind of noise. Can you locate what side it comes from?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Did you replace your belt? Possibly get an audio sample for us to hear?

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
i have a 2006 nissan titan with 94,000 miles and i noticed a whinning sound under the hood on the driver side somewhere on the engine. when i idle up the engine i dont hear it but when it idles back down in park you can hear it whinning like a bad power steering pump but kinda on the quiet side. its not the belt, power steering pump, pully etc. im thinking its the injectors but not sure. any help????????
Someone mentioned an alternator does this when it starts going bad, it starts whistling.. Maybe check that??

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had the same issue a few days ago. I thought it might be an exhaust leak at the manifolds. After more troubleshooting i determined that could not be the exhaust leaking because it would come and go without warning. I finally deduced that it might be my oil and the oil filter might be getting clogged causing the sound. What led me to this was that i noticed my oil pressure gauge was leaning on the low side and would fluctuate drastically when accelerating. i also noticed a significant loss of horsepower on the highway. My last oil change I had used some cheap 5W30 oil and a basic oil filter from Advanced auto parts that was on sale. I went and bought some Mobil1 fully synthetic high mileage oil and a WIX oil filter with a safety bypass valve built in. After the oil change, the sound was gone, my oil pressure gauge is steady at just above the middle line and my performance on the highway has improved tremendously.
As strange as it seems, it does look like these engines thrive on high quality oils and a high quality oil filter. It cost me almost $48.00 for 7 quarts of oil and the filter, but it was well worth every penny.
No sluggish performance, the balls are back and she purrs like a kitten. I am really glad it was not an exhaust leak, did not want to shell out $1200 to replace the manifolds since my truck is out of warranty....almost 106,000 miles on her now.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checking my pressure gauge will be my next option also it's time for another oil change, but I takes it to the dealer for my oil changes with a discount only paying $11.00 for it. It's coming from the driver side somewhere by the intake and the injectors but I'm gonna take it tomorrow to get that oil change and will go from there. Now I'm pthinking they probably put in a different weight of oil during the winter and changes it during the spring.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i noticed the noise has disappeared, but im still taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i noticed the noise has disappeared, but im still taking it to the dealer.
Before I did my oil change, the noise would come and go without warning

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any new news on this situation. Did you talk to the dearler, did you change the oil. Did the sound go away. Im having the same issue. My truck is slowly falling apart on me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are a few threads on here about that. Apparently it is a Titan Trait and is associated with the Air Box / Filter set up. I'd be curious to know if there is any difference between engines with a CAI and a stock box or if it is due to the fact that our engines suck in 5.6 liters of air with each revolution.

At 2,000 RPM thats 187 liters of air a second. Moving a ton of air there. Hit 5,000 RPM and you are downing 28,000 a minute. At that rate you could fill a swimming pool with air in just about 3 minutes. BIG PUMP!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I never had the time to take it down there but the noise also stopped the next day. I have a plant job and a lawn service so it's so damn hard to bring it but the good thing is that I have two trucks so I don't use the Titan for my business. But this weekend I'm gonna make time to bring it down there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts