Nissan Titan Forum banner

Whistling at 50-54mph

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  4mula1fan 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2018 2wd Titan SV Midnight and really like the truck. It has 36k on it and have noticed a whistle (more of a whine) at 50-54 mph. It appears only when you take your foot off the accelerator and coast at that speed. Can’t tell where it is coming from, but if I had to guess it comes off the rear differential. Anybody else hear this sound

#2 ·
Is it a high pitched whistle? Does it make the sound at lower speeds? CC or King Cab? There are 2 TSBs out for the whistle.... just had my 19 Pro 4X in to take care of the high pitched whistle from the front hood seal being bad.... That was really noticeable at 80mph .... There is also one for the door side pillar seals which is the one I'm referring to for your noise/whistle... These seals are letting air get in which might be a whine/whistle sound in the cab

#5 ·
I took it to the dealer. I got a story about transmission gearing. Bottom line is this, it is a consistent/uniform sound, unlike a bad bearing. It is not a function issue, so I guess monitoring it would be prudent. If it changes before the warranty is up, we make a big issue out of it.

#6 ·
Mine doesn’t whistle, the two trucks I test drove didn’t whistle and nobody else posting here that I recall said they have a whistle. With all that said make more noise now or they will just run down the clock until there in no warranty left, then on your dime they will gladly chase it down until you’re broke at $125 per hour.

Clint

Reactions: slyfur1
#4 ·
hmmmm.... odd.... I'd have that taken care of ASAP... if the rear diff is whining.. sounds like either a seal is going or something else... you lifted? the pinion angle may be off causing the whine/drone thing... might be putting undue stress on it but you never know these days... lol... part of the adventure I suppose

#7 ·
When I replace the pinion seal on my old Frontier and failed to follow the maintenance manual on how tight that huge nut was suppose to be. I developed a whine exactly like you are describing, let off the gas right around 55 or so and it'd whine until 48mph or so, or until I started to reapply gas. Had to have the rear diff gears replaced to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.