Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased an 07 titan with 117k miles on it. The truck runs, drives, and idles perfect, but almost everytime I start it, LOTS of white smoke comes out the back then it goes away after about 10 seconds. I did find an empty bottle of GUNK in the back of the truck but Ive put almost 300 miles on it already so Im not sure if this is normal. I dont believe its a blown headgasket because the smoke goes away completely after 10 seconds.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
You sure the white smoke isnt just condensation from the exhaust?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
White smoke usually means water. If it quickly goes away you may have a small seep in the head gasket that closes as soon as it heats up and burns off the initial accumulated water. I may be totally wrong, but that would be my first guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check for sludge in engine by removing oil cap and looking in. If any sludge at all oil rings are stuck or you got valve stem seals that have hardened and are letting oil bypass when engine is off. Sludge is a 5.6 killer just a little will do major harm.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking its the headgasket. I keep putting coolant in the resevoir and it keeps burning off. Why would the headgasket go bad if it only has 117k miles on it? The dealer said that they are going to replace it though.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Why would the headgasket go bad if it only has 117k miles on it?
I dunno, but I can write a script: The plastic tank on the crappy radiator cracks, coolant leaks, engine overheats, block expands, head gasket gets crushed, radiator gets replaced, original owner notices white smoke, trades truck. New owner notices white smoke, goes to forum and posts WTF is up with this white smoke?

I can make my script even more elaborate: Original owner, noticing white smoke, suspects water in gas, dumps GUNK in gas tank. White smoke persists. . ., etc.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
117k is quite a bit and who knows how the engine was maintained or treated before you owned it. If the dealer is willing to replace it then I say go for it.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the useful information. The dealer has the truck and they are in the process of replacing the headgasket. I really hope this fixes it because the whole reason I bought the truck is to tow my drift car across country to different tracks and the last thing I want is for it to break down on the way to a competition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts