Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make a quick comment about a problem I had been having with my 2006 Titan that I was able to solve with the help of this forum. I got the truck in March of 2011 with about 68,000 miles on it, and pretty much right away I noticed a fairly large puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust nearly every time I started the truck after it had been sitting for an hour or more. Naturally, the smoke reeked of oil and it was at the point where the 5.6 liter would consume about 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles or so. I have just over 75,000 miles on the truck now.

I did a lot of searching on this forum, and being a true pessimist assumed it was one of two things. Either the valve seals were gone, or the ECU failed and someone kept turning it over and over, flooding the cats with unused fuel and then when the problem was solved the internals of the cats burnt up and pieces were sucked into the engine scoring the cylinder walls and causing the oil consumption. Basically, I was about certain I needed a new engine.

Well, I am happy to report it was none of the above. I found a post on here from a couple of years ago where someone had smoke on startup and oil consumption, and swapped out the PCV valves and the issue went away. Well, this past weekend I changed both PCV valves and did an oil change as well and since then (about 10 cold starts) I have not seen the slightest hint of smoke. I am THRILLED this solved my issue, and just wanted to get this out there in case someone else has been struggling with these same issues and was hoping for a cheap and simple fix. Both PCV valves were so gummed up that shaking them produced no sound whatsoever, so they were definitely shot. I changed the spark plugs and air filter at the same time as well, and the Titan is running great now -- and most importantly I have some peace of mind that I am not burning tons of oil!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!

Mine was doing the same thing.
I picked up one PCV valve at O'Raily's (I needed 2!!!)
Anyway, took both out and they were gummy as hell! I put in the new one on one side and cleaned the old ones with carb cleaner and a q-tip. I stuck the clean one in the other side.
I still need a few cold starts to verify this was the issue, either way the PCV valves were gummed up. I will still probably pick up another PCV valve, they are only $10 dollars. I think you could get away with just cleaning them. (JMHO)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Was just reading up on the PCV Valves, and supposedly, your suppose to change them every 50-60k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great info bscott1204! Just changed both of mine and an oil change a few weeks ago! My 2004 Titan was not puffing smoke or using oil, but when I started it cold or hot, the motor would fire and almost immediately the tach would bury itself below 500rpm and almost stall the truck! When I loosed both of my old pcv's you could hear pressure release from inside the valvetrain, yike's! Truck hasn't run this well in awhile!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
White smoke on startup is a very good indication of a bad PCV valve. Someone must be pretty new to automobiles for not checking it first. It's typically the first step in the troubleshooting process. Glad you got her fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!! If you have this same problem with you're truck, I strongly recommend replacing both PCV's ($10-$15 a piece) and both valve covers ($30 a piece from Nissan) before you do anything else! I had a complete valve job done...didn't fix the problem! Then a whole nother motor put in my truck...SAME problem! Roughly $8k later we finally find out it's the valve covers which are a whopping $60 for both from Nissan!!! Apparently the valve covers have baffles on them and got plugged forcing oil into the intake which dripped down to the exhaust causing the truck to "burn" the excess oil off and blow it out when truck was started up! Thank god my truck was under warranty and not a penny came out of my own pocket to find this all out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to make a quick comment about a problem I had been having with my 2006 Titan that I was able to solve with the help of this forum. I got the truck in March of 2011 with about 68,000 miles on it, and pretty much right away I noticed a fairly large puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust nearly every time I started the truck after it had been sitting for an hour or more. Naturally, the smoke reeked of oil and it was at the point where the 5.6 liter would consume about 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles or so. I have just over 75,000 miles on the truck now.

I did a lot of searching on this forum, and being a true pessimist assumed it was one of two things. Either the valve seals were gone, or the ECU failed and someone kept turning it over and over, flooding the cats with unused fuel and then when the problem was solved the internals of the cats burnt up and pieces were sucked into the engine scoring the cylinder walls and causing the oil consumption. Basically, I was about certain I needed a new engine.

Well, I am happy to report it was none of the above. I found a post on here from a couple of years ago where someone had smoke on startup and oil consumption, and swapped out the PCV valves and the issue went away. Well, this past weekend I changed both PCV valves and did an oil change as well and since then (about 10 cold starts) I have not seen the slightest hint of smoke. I am THRILLED this solved my issue, and just wanted to get this out there in case someone else has been struggling with these same issues and was hoping for a cheap and simple fix. Both PCV valves were so gummed up that shaking them produced no sound whatsoever, so they were definitely shot. I changed the spark plugs and air filter at the same time as well, and the Titan is running great now -- and most importantly I have some peace of mind that I am not burning tons of oil!
hello im margaret my truck blowing white smoke and my oli was slug i had the shop change oil but now white smoke at startup they think my motors valves are going out so what should i tell the shop about my truck and what to change outi dont know nothing about cars and trucks any help would be great thank you

·
Premium Member
7,313 Posts

I think you should get to spend the $5K that you would've spent on a new motor, on new mods as a reward. I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
252 Posts
anyone have pics of where and how they pcv valves are changed?? Havent done them before, and i would like to get a head start! i would appreciate it!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
question for bscott1204 and others --- Did changing the PCV valves correct the problem still? or did the problem come back after a couple thousand miles on the drive again??? Can you let me knwo? My 2009 Murano is doing the same thing and I can't get an answer from anyone... thanks, tcombs722

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey -- question for bscott1204 and others --- Did changing the PCV valves correct the problem still? or did the problem come back after a couple thousand miles or more of driving again??? Can you let me know? My 2009 Murano is doing the same thing and I can't get an answer from anyone... thanks, tcombs722

·
Registered
5 Posts
my question to bscott1204 and others... Has this cured the problem? Or did the problem come back? My 2009 Murano started doing this about a year ago - about 92K miles. Drives me crazy but my mechanic says its not to worry about. Just keep the oil changed every 3Kmiles and add Lucas oil treatment at each change. Im going to change the PCV valves on the next oil change. Any answers at to Problem Cured forr Good??? -tcombs722

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
It cured the problem for the OP.And it is a common issue on many vehicles, a known troubleshooting issue. I used to have a Catch Can on my Titan and it clogged up horrible in the Winter. I removed it and later did both of my PCV Valves and all the hoses.

BTW; until my Titan, I had never noticed screw in valves, only push in types.

I now want to scope the inside of my valve covers to see if they are clean. I have a Ridgid micro sewer inspection camera that might help with this (Home Depot has several brands to chooses from nowadays)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts