Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info - Titan Blue! I really appreciate it. I'm changing my PCVs with upcoming oil change... Fingers crossed! and thanks again! ~tcombs722 ~: )

·
Registered
275 Posts
PCV valves do not always fix the problem. Go ahead and change them and maybe you will get lucky but if it doesn't fix it, you will have to change your valve covers as well. There are baffles in the valve covers that get clogged with sludge. Valve covers are very reasonably priced from rockauto. You can also stick a rag down inside your oil fill tube and check for sludge. Likely some there. You have to make sure you stick to a good oil change schedule with Nissan motors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had ZERO issues since changing my PCV's and valve covers. I also started using synthetic oil since. Have put on about 40k miles since making these changes and solving the issue and still no more white smoke issues!!! If anyone is experiencing "white smoke" issues, start with changing your PCV's and valve covers, run a synthetic oil from there on out like Pennzoil Platinum or such. Willing to bet that will solve your problem. Nissan's are known for their "sludge" build up and this is exactly what happened to my motor. Hope this saves someone a lot of hassle and possibly $$$ down the road!!! Wish I had known sooner for sure!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought an 08 with 78k miles and having this problrm thought maybe truck was running rich and guy before me put too much oil. I swapped out to mobil 1 full syn unsure of previous oil. But still having white smoke problem. Is there a DIY written up on changing PCV valves?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info - Titan Blue! I really appreciate it. I'm changing my PCVs with upcoming oil change... Fingers crossed! and thanks again! ~tcombs722 ~: )
08/19/2014: Unfortunately, changing the PCV Valve did not cure my Murano's problems... I still get the white smoke... and burn the oil too.
Any of you with oil burning problems -- have you noticed the car burns ridiculous amounts (4-4.5 qts) on long highway drives?? Just went to No Calif (~400miles) for the 4-5 time this year, and I burned about 4+ quarts of oil between leaving, adding more oil upon arrival, and getting home again. All over the course of a week's time. I'm so frustrated... Called Nissan USA today and will be taking it in to a local dealor-fingers crossed it's covered under the extended CVT Powertrain warranty. tC~: )

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Titan burned a ridiculous amount of oil, changed PCV's and valve covers...no more white smoke and doesn't burn a drop of oil...also switched to Penzoil Platinum oil. Willing to bet this will fix the issues you are having with your Murano as well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had my engine cleaned and nissan charged me 800 changed the valve cover gaskets and its still smokeing on start up when i took the holes off pcv it stop smokeing and yes i changed pcv valves need help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to this post I was able to stop my 08 Titan from blowing white smoke at startup. I started with the PVC valves and seemed better for a day or 2. I ordered new valve covers and gaskets on line for about half the price the local dealer wanted. Took me about 4 hours to do the change, and now no more smoke. it's only been four days but for now its fixed. THANKS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks to this post I was able to stop my 08 Titan from blowing white smoke at startup. I started with the PVC valves and seemed better for a day or 2. I ordered new valve covers and gaskets on line for about half the price the local dealer wanted. Took me about 4 hours to do the change, and now no more smoke. it's only been for days but for now its fixed. THANKS
Great news! Glad those of us who went through hell figuring this out years ago could help fellow Titan owners! Only other thing I would suggest if you don't or haven't already is using a synthetic oil from now on. I haven't had a bit of problem with mine for years now since switching out the PVC's and valve covers. At least with the engine problems. Differentials is another story! Ugh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everybody for their two cents worth.

I bought an 07 infiniti QX56 with low KM recently, smoked like a banchee at most starts, embarrassingly so the colder the weather, I feared the worst but figured a $500 valve cover replacement would be worth the rewards, wow, no smoke, at all, and my fuel economy has gone from awful to terrible. I asked the parts manager, he said sometimes the issue is the spark plug gasket??? or wherever the plugs go in, either way the valve covers took care of the issue, and came with new PCV valves.

I did put new plugs in while I was there.

I am so so happy, love the ride and everything about the truck now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just wondering if your truck had loss of power also?
I'm reaching out in hopes to solve issue with my husbands truck. Trucks current status is; 2005 Nissan Titan 4x4. Has very low power, thin, white smoke which fades in/out. He has done oil change/plugs, filled it with gas as someone had suggested the float may have tilted or? and wasn't picking up gas, if it was less than 1/4 tank.
Last week we sprayed a whole can of carb or injector cleaner, we had high hopes cause it started to sound better but, still, no power, maybe travels @15-20mph, then wants to shut off. I'm almost certain it's not in need of a new motor because the motor sounds great, does not shake but if fully throttled, it makes a dull, ticking sound. Waiting, hopefully, for a solution

Just wanted to make a quick comment about a problem I had been having with my 2006 Titan that I was able to solve with the help of this forum. I got the truck in March of 2011 with about 68,000 miles on it, and pretty much right away I noticed a fairly large puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust nearly every time I started the truck after it had been sitting for an hour or more. Naturally, the smoke reeked of oil and it was at the point where the 5.6 liter would consume about 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles or so. I have just over 75,000 miles on the truck now.

I did a lot of searching on this forum, and being a true pessimist assumed it was one of two things. Either the valve seals were gone, or the ECU failed and someone kept turning it over and over, flooding the cats with unused fuel and then when the problem was solved the internals of the cats burnt up and pieces were sucked into the engine scoring the cylinder walls and causing the oil consumption. Basically, I was about certain I needed a new engine.

Well, I am happy to report it was none of the above. I found a post on here from a couple of years ago where someone had smoke on startup and oil consumption, and swapped out the PCV valves and the issue went away. Well, this past weekend I changed both PCV valves and did an oil change as well and since then (about 10 cold starts) I have not seen the slightest hint of smoke. I am THRILLED this solved my issue, and just wanted to get this out there in case someone else has been struggling with these same issues and was hoping for a cheap and simple fix. Both PCV valves were so gummed up that shaking them produced no sound whatsoever, so they were definitely shot. I changed the spark plugs and air filter at the same time as well, and the Titan is running great now -- and most importantly I have some peace of mind that I am not burning tons of oil!

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to revive an old post ... but I purchased a used 2004 Titan 4x4 about a month ago. This post nailed it so far .... I have the same smoke issue an burning oil. Replaced both PCV valves a few days ago and it seemed to solve the issue ... for about 1-2 days before it started up again. So I am guessing my valve covers are gunked up like everyone else here. The truck has 197k miles on it so it is likely. I just searched O'reilly and Autozone ... no valve covers !? Can someone point me in the right direction so I can get them ordered and get on my way to solving this issue? I have to drive the truck a long way next week 450miles ... so I would like to have this taken care of before I do that. I can do it myself ... not my first rodeo. But this is my first Nissan and all the trucks I've had in the past have been easier to find parts for locally. I live in Texas .... Wichita Falls area if that means anything. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry to revive an old post ... but I purchased a used 2004 Titan 4x4 about a month ago. This post nailed it so far .... I have the same smoke issue an burning oil. Replaced both PCV valves a few days ago and it seemed to solve the issue ... for about 1-2 days before it started up again. So I am guessing my valve covers are gunked up like everyone else here. The truck has 197k miles on it so it is likely. I just searched O'reilly and Autozone ... no valve covers !? Can someone point me in the right direction so I can get them ordered and get on my way to solving this issue? I have to drive the truck a long way next week 450miles ... so I would like to have this taken care of before I do that. I can do it myself ... not my first rodeo. But this is my first Nissan and all the trucks I've had in the past have been easier to find parts for locally. I live in Texas .... Wichita Falls area if that means anything. Thanks everyone
I just had this smoke problem, I changed the valve covers and it fixed the issue. I could only find the covers at the dealership. Not a bad price either. Approximately $40 apiece!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to make a quick comment about a problem I had been having with my 2006 Titan that I was able to solve with the help of this forum. I got the truck in March of 2011 with about 68,000 miles on it, and pretty much right away I noticed a fairly large puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust nearly every time I started the truck after it had been sitting for an hour or more. Naturally, the smoke reeked of oil and it was at the point where the 5.6 liter would consume about 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles or so. I have just over 75,000 miles on the truck now.

I did a lot of searching on this forum, and being a true pessimist assumed it was one of two things. Either the valve seals were gone, or the ECU failed and someone kept turning it over and over, flooding the cats with unused fuel and then when the problem was solved the internals of the cats burnt up and pieces were sucked into the engine scoring the cylinder walls and causing the oil consumption. Basically, I was about certain I needed a new engine.

Well, I am happy to report it was none of the above. I found a post on here from a couple of years ago where someone had smoke on startup and oil consumption, and swapped out the PCV valves and the issue went away. Well, this past weekend I changed both PCV valves and did an oil change as well and since then (about 10 cold starts) I have not seen the slightest hint of smoke. I am THRILLED this solved my issue, and just wanted to get this out there in case someone else has been struggling with these same issues and was hoping for a cheap and simple fix. Both PCV valves were so gummed up that shaking them produced no sound whatsoever, so they were definitely shot. I changed the spark plugs and air filter at the same time as well, and the Titan is running great now -- and most importantly I have some peace of mind that I am not burning tons of oil!
Thank you for posting about this! I have been recently experiencing the same issue out of the blue. I was convinced it was the valve rings. It wasn’t!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts