Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is not using Nissan Type "J" tranny fluid and how many miles do you have on the other stuff? I'm wanting to go with Amsoil in my tranny, but would like to hear first hand from the guys running other than "J" in their trucks.

Other questions to ponder?

Castrol makes Nissan's "J", but does not sell it in the US?
J is only semi-synthetic, where as amsoil is fully syn and the change interval is a lot longer.

Quote from Amsoil site:
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis."misslelau The semi J stuff

Lets hear it guys...Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get an answer on this question, I too am attempting to switch to Mobil ! ATF but the dealer keeps giving me the runaroung about asking the tech line. I called the 1-800-nissan1 and got a lady who didn't know where the transmission was. She said the dealer was the only one who could contact the tech line. I have 100K and need to either do it myself with the gold plated nissan fluid or actually save a little and go with superior performance. I also asked the mobil tech line for help.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Amsoil trans. fluid is compatible with Nissan J-matic. It's not much cheaper than Nissan's J-matic.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is completely compatible with other synthetic and petroleum automatic transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF is a universal, multi-functional fluid that greatly reduces the need for specialized fluid inventories and the possibilities of misapplication. AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:
Nissan Matic D, J & K

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
baseballfanz said:
Amsoil trans. fluid is compatible with Nissan J-matic. It's not much cheaper than Nissan's J-matic.

That depends, Dealer wanted $16 a quart for Nissan-J or 300 for a flush. My amsoil was quite a bit cheaper, like near 1/2 if I remember right.

Seems to shift smoother with the Amsoil, about 5k since I put it in. But I also had the timing advance at the same time so maybe it's all in my head. Then again It might have shifted better just replacing with more J as well...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
That depends, Dealer wanted $16 a quart for Nissan-J or 300 for a flush. My amsoil was quite a bit cheaper, like near 1/2 if I remember right.

Seems to shift smoother with the Amsoil, about 5k since I put it in. But I also had the timing advance at the same time so maybe it's all in my head. Then again It might have shifted better just replacing with more J as well...
Now that is a fair and respectable response! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just changed my rear diff oil for the first time -36,000 miles. It was low a little low. I used the new spec AMSOIL. I then changed my tranny oil for the first time with AMSOIL ATF. I got 12 qts cause the service manual says it needs 11.25qt. Turns out it really only needed 4.8 qts. I don't understand? Could the big tow package oil cooler be hiding 6 qts? What's the deal?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you didn't use a power flush system there's a ton of oil in the torque converter and various other places in the tranny/lines/coolers. It sounds like you just drained and refilled the pan.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have read that Got-Titan is useing it in his supercharged titan with no problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Qx56_Destroyer said:
I think Nissan voids your warranty if you dont use j matic tranny fluid.
On the manual, it did say that the warranty will be voided if other products are used for the tranny. There is a guy here with 100K on his truck, I guess itll be fine there

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ha i just posted in another thread that i think the J matic is crap and breaks down to fast in the heat. I would really like to change to amsoil since they say it is compatible, but havnt heard if nissan gave the ok. Its not legal for them t ohave a monopoly on their trans fluid is someone else meets or exceeds. Any word on this? if it the same color they may never know if you dont tell them either

Anybody know how much oil is needed after a complete flush?? also where the Hell can you purchase Amsoil??!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Well the amsoil is Matic-J technicaly IMO, it's still a Matic-J oil just not nissan brand.

14 Quarts for a flush.

Probably about 4 quarts to change it yourself (most of the oil cannot be removed without a flush)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
if you switch brands or anything i HGHLY recromend flushing the system rather than just draining the pan. The TQ converter itself holds a few qts.
Screw it im putting in the Amsoil stuff im betting its better or the same, Amsoil wouldnt put their name on it if it were worse. ill let you guys know if its any better....

edit. By buddys boss had a traans line come loose on his armada and didnt know it needed special oil. He put in reular GM style trans fluid. Nothing detremental happened...yet, so hes gunna go amsoil as well. He did say its slipping a bit, so thats what im gunna look out for. Maby my AutoEnginuity software can pick up some before and after info

·
Registered
522 Posts
will the dealer do the flush if we supply the amsoil??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
linycctitan said:
better to just bring the oil to a jiffy lube type place and watch them do it. That way there is no record at the stealership in case somthing else happened down the road. It could be a tottally unrelated trans prob and they could say" nope you didnt use our stuff".

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have been running the amsoil in mine for 15,000 miles it is fine. As far as warrenty goes as long as it is compatable they have to warrenty your transmission. They can't tell you you have to use theirs. They can tell you what has to go in that transmission and if no one makes it tuff luck. They do this to make money on us untill there are enough vechices out there for a outside company to make it. BMW right now has tranny or diff oil not sure of which one that is running 25.00 a qt.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
linycctitan said:
Mine would not because they get their oil out of a Drum for flushes....

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, how do we get a flush done and then fill with amsoil?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Wiscdave said:
So, how do we get a flush done and then fill with amsoil?
Well I saw the flush machine at another dealer and they can use any oil you want. Jus thave to pour them in. They probably just told me that so they could rip me on the oil. Anyplace with a flush machine should be able to do. I'm sure my dealership "could" have done it but wanted to charge me premium for the oil which they get out of a drum.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts