Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if the advertised benefits are real.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
yea I put nitrogen in my tires, rides nice

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Marketing sure is funny, there already is a % of nitogen in the makeup of inflated tires.

·
Premium Member
58,579 Posts
I'm running a proprietary mixture of 78% N₂, and 21% O₂ with a small amount AR, CO₂, trace gases, and water vapor as stabilizers. It is a formula known only to me. There is a limited supply but if you'd like to purchase some, I can bottle it and sell it at a ridiculously high price.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
^^lol^^

I did it in my '08, only because I have free access to cylinders of it. The only benefit is that it should be free of moisture and may not expand/contract as much when heated/cooled. I wouldn't pay as much as some places want for it though. Only real thing I noticed was that the psi didn't fluctuate as much between seasons.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
As above the main difference comes from moisture content. Nitrogen is consistently
dry & compressed air will vary.
If you can get compressed air that is passed through a dryer then there is not
much expansion difference.

I think the Gas Laws say there is no difference (if dry).........but that was a long time ago..:)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
^^lol^^

I did it in my '08, only because I have free access to cylinders of it. The only benefit is that it should be free of moisture and may not expand/contract as much when heated/cooled. I wouldn't pay as much as some places want for it though. Only real thing I noticed was that the psi didn't fluctuate as much between seasons.
Exactly a true statement, moisture conducts heat, and when the tire gets hotter, then the rubber becomes less for the wear. It also has the added affect of a larger molecule, which helps tires maintain the pressure longer. Another added benefit is the stable pressure gradient across temperatures, my 06 used to have the TPMS alarming about every three months in the winter, since Nitrogen, hasn't done it once. The moisture removal and the more stable pressures across the temperature spans are the best benefit. Also helps with less corrosion within the inside of the wheel, since the moisture isn't a factor anymore. Cooler tires has to be a benefit for wear, what are the numbers? Heck I don't know, I probably won't have time to commission that study, but in the aerospace industry, they use Nitrogen in all kinds of tanks, from space launch vehicles to just fuel tanks and all types of storage tanks. Why, it is inert, and will not react to other chemicals like the air that has how many different molecules and gases in it? Air, approx 78 %, and there is another 22 % of other molecules there, water vapor, the most heat conductive element of air, I guess humidity doesn't affect us either. Yes it is beneficial. Rubber oxidizes, with nitrogen that affect is less prevelant on the inside of the tire rubber. Sure all these things add up to a longer lasting tire.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I've had Nitrogen in my tires for a year and a half and last weekend was the first time I had to top off. It lasts way longer than regular air.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nascar runs Nitrogen in their tires!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got my truck last fall and have had to add air twice this winter by a couple pounds in a couple tires.

One in the right rear is all atmospheric due to a foreign object in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts