Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know what size wrenches I need to take the tow hooks off and the ummm shield? Im at camp and will be going home in my other car and would like to grab just the wrenches I need and I am terrible at guessing and don't really want to bring 100 wrenches and of cource leave the ones at home I really need LOL

got the brush guard NEW for 200$ shipped from Cali to PA but it don't come with instructions ;-(

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
17 mm will for the tow hook bolts.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ;-) Ive read that the skid plate needs to come off too is the correct for all brush guards or just certian ones?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
To get the tow hooks off, you'll want the skidplate off. FYI, those bolts are a B*TCH!

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
The skid plate needs to come off for the install or it needs to come off for good? If it's for the latter then the reason is probably that the OEM bolts are not long enough to go through the tow hook, skid plate and brush guard brackets. So just buy longer bolts. That's what I did.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The skid plate needs to come off for the install or it needs to come off for good? If it's for the latter then the reason is probably that the OEM bolts are not long enough to go through the tow hook, skid plate and brush guard brackets. So just buy longer bolts. That's what I did.
i was reading that it HAD to come off for the install, but looking at it today and trying for all of prob 10 mins to get the bolts holding the tow hooks on to budge with NO success ;-( it don't look like the the skid plate needs to come off to remove the tow hooks?

is it possible to reinstall the tow hooks once the brush guard is in place? if so do you remember how long and what size the bolts are that you used? thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
your gonna need a good snipe to get the tow hook bolts off they are on there good, some WD40 or nutcracker would be a good idea aw well, removing the skid plate (4 large allen wrench bolts and 2 10m bolts at the back) will make removing the tow hooks and installing the brush guard much easier, then put the skid plate back on last.

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
fasterem, take a look at my winch mount install writeup found here: Mile Marker Grill Guard/Winch Install. It's a bit more involved than what you need for a brush guard install, but it covers the skid plate/tow hook issue. It also includes the exact size of replacement bolt you will likely need to get the brush guard and the tow hooks back on. My tow hook bolts came out OK as I recall, but it was 4 years ago. You shouldn't need to remove the bumper or grille for your install. The skid plate does have to come off to get to the tow hook bolts.

Reactions: fasterem

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome instructions and detail ;-) thank you very much, so I am thinking/hoping, that all I am going to have to do is remover the 4 bolts on tow hooks and the bolts on the skid plate and thats it? then get the longer bolts if I want to keep the tow hooks, then the brush guard will use the same 4 bolt holes to install? then just re install the 4 bolts with the towhooks and the brushguard in place, then install the skid plate?? sounds simple enough LOL YA RIGHT, the hardest part is gonna be getting all the bolts off I think LOL

fasterem, take a look at my winch mount install writeup found here: Mile Marker Grill Guard/Winch Install. It's a bit more involved than what you need for a brush guard install, but it covers the skid plate/tow hook issue. It also includes the exact size of replacement bolt you will likely need to get the brush guard and the tow hooks back on. My tow hook bolts came out OK as I recall, but it was 4 years ago. You shouldn't need to remove the bumper or grille for your install. The skid plate does have to come off to get to the tow hook bolts.

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
You can spray PB Blaster on the thread of the bolt sticking up from the nut if you look into the crossmember from the side. However, that only gets you to one of the two nuts. The other nut is inside the frame itself, not the crossmember, and you can't get to it. If you screw up that nut then you're really in trouble.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not that anybody really cares but I did finish putting on the brushguard today, and you DO have to take the GRILL out to get the the support bolts for the brush guard, thankfully it was very very easy to do even easier than instructions if thats possible LOL

on a side note with this brushguard, I don't know if its the same with them all or just the one I have but with it installed properly and the support brackets in place you can not open your hood LOL now mine does have bugguard on hood I don't know if that makes the difference or not but it doesn't even look like without it would open ;-( but thats ok Im not really needing to be in the engine compartment of my truck much so Im ok with just keeping a 17 and the allen key in the truck just incase I need to get into it

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
I can't remove my grille with my winch mount in place. But the hood opens fine. Maybe you can change the alignment of the brushguard so it isn't in the way of the hood. With my winch mount I used steel washers as shims to get it to align correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts