Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is the formula for how much you can legally lift your truck in massachusetts. I don't know the numbers however to plug in.


Get out your calculator: The maximum allowable mechanical lift (as well as what's acceptable in terms of bigger rubber) can be determined by this formula:


Maximum Lift = Wheelbase x Wheel Track divided by 2200

For example, if you did that formula and came up with 2 inches, then a 2-inch lift and a 2-inch increase in tire size is allowable, equaling a total lift of 4 inches over stock.

Heres the link: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/lift-laws.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,900 Posts
good info and great link:cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Asians, of course
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
Slightly deceiving title...This is just calc work...

I don't know enough about your truck to use your numbers, but you get 4" for the '08 with the short bed and 18" wheels. I got that info from the Nissan web page here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
Yep

Max Lift = 4.3147"

ML= (Track Width x Wheelbase)/2200

ML= (67.9" x 139.8")/2200
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do I say to the cop that pulls me over? They would probably think I was being a dink if I started telling them that my wheelbase x track width allowed me to lift my truck x amount of inches. Only in MA they have to get technical with all of this. How would someone be able to dispute with me over a 4" lift vs. a 6" lift?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
You're right, the only solution is to move away from all the ma$$holes. :jester:

But really, this is probably like window tint and blue headlights, there is a very small chance you will actually be ticketed for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
You're right, the only solution is to move away from all the ma$$holes. :jester:

But really, this is probably like window tint and blue headlights, there is a very small chance you will actually be ticketed for it.
Just moved away from the ma$$holes myself, Best thing I ever did... everything about the south is better, weather, drivers, people, services, my personal attitude has improved 100 fold (at least); I've been here since September 1st and have NOT been cut off yet, it's an amazing change from the daily douchbag drivers in Massachusetts's !!! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say that Mass may have turned me into a "douchbag driver" but NC and SC is turning me back into a normal human being again :)


:clap:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
92,554 Posts
GrayB83 said:
What do I say to the cop that pulls me over? They would probably think I was being a dink if I started telling them that my wheelbase x track width allowed me to lift my truck x amount of inches. Only in MA they have to get technical with all of this. How would someone be able to dispute with me over a 4" lift vs. a 6" lift?
This is a relative no brainer.... You say nothing. You just hand him a laminated 3x5 card that you keep in your glovebox, on which you have the formula from the Massachusetts code with all the proper values filled in giving the total lift height allowed for your vehicle. If just seeing that doesn't lighten up his mood, then you still have valid justification to appeal any ticket he may give you. Don't be a smartass about it either, just show the card, keep your cool, and be nice. If he figures you did your homework enough to do this, you are not going to be worth his ink. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I don't understand how they would know the difference if the truck was raised 4" or 6". I want to do the rancho 4" lift, which I know is more like 5.5" but how do I explain that it is only 4 inches?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
GrayB83 said:
But I don't understand how they would know the difference if the truck was raised 4" or 6". I want to do the rancho 4" lift, which I know is more like 5.5" but how do I explain that it is only 4 inches?

Umm...They don't.
And...They don't care.
They will get their number from a measuring tape placed firmly on the ground in front of the truck. This will be compared to a known value for your truck (guessing about this part).
I bet if you read more in that same legal-speak area, you will find a description of exactly how it is measured. Or you could just call and ask.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top