Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, gas has been costing me about $65-70 per week. It's not hurting me but I just hate thinking about it. I've parked the Titan and started my motorcycle season. Now it cost about $15 per week to get back and forth to work. Who else is on two wheels?

·
Registered
558 Posts
What MPG does a bike get...just curious..I only work a few miles from my house..but I would rather save my gas for weekend adventures..and have always wanted a bike.

·
Premium Member
92,253 Posts
BIL just bought a Ducati Sport Classic 1000. Gets around 50 MPG and he's loving it!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm getting 80mpg with premium on this bad boy.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've thougth about it but my commute might be dangerous on a bike. I64 is a mess and people drive too fast. I feel a little safer in my stupid POS car. Plus I tend to dose a little before the coffee kicks in. :domohit:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I wouldn't go out and buy a bike for the sake of saving gas; I would buy a bike because I want to ride a bike. Throwing numbers together in a "what if" scenario, the example below shows a three year break even point for the following:

Used bike $5000
MPG 50
Cost of fuel $3.30
Insurance/yr $200
Time of use 3 years
Season April thru October
Maintenance guesstimate of $1500 for tires, maintenance, accessories, and minor repairs.

3 year fixed costs are $5000 for the bike, $1500 for repairs and accessories, $600 for three years insurance. Total $7100.00

Assuming the truck was on blocks from April thru October:

Motorcycle- 300 miles/week at 50 mpg= 6 gallons of gas/week.
Truck- 300 miles/week at 15 mpg= 20 gallons of gas/week

Motorcycle- cost for gas per week at $3.30/gallon and 6 gallons/week= $19.80/week * 52 weeks= $1029.60

Truck- cost for gas per week at $3.30/gallon and 20 gallons/week= $66.00/week * 52 weeks= $3432.00

3 year gas cost for motorcycle= $3088.80
3 year gas cost for truck= $10296

Factor in the three year fixed cost for the bike of $7100 added to 3 year gas cost of $3088.80= $10188.80. This compares to three year truck fuel cost of $10296. In this example, the motorcycle saves about $107.20 over the three years.

Again, this is assuming that all miles between April and October are on the motorcycle, regardless of the weather, and the truck up on blocks. Less motorcycle usage lengthens the time to break even.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Leave it to Musky to make some sense out of the subject! haha

I'm riding my bike now that its nice here in NH! But I didnt buy it to save money on gas I bought it for the fun of it. The better mileage is just a bonus... and sometimes its not that great because I cant keep off the throttle anway! haha

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't recommend anyone to purchase a bike for gas, it would have to be for passion. But since, gas is getting ugly this summer ($4 dollars or more), I'm going to be on my new bike all summer and most of the winter season unless it's raining or snowing. The last couple of years, when gas prices got pretty ugly, there were alot of trucks parked and a lot of mopeds purchased. I saw mopeds and motorcycles everywhere. When gas reaches $4 dollars, it's going to really hurt for the average person to drive a 1/2 ton truck. People with diesels are just going to hang themselves. :stab:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts