Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about installing the McGaughy's 2/3 Lowering Kit but concerned about towing. I usually tow a small (4x6) utility trailer or my jet skis but may tow my '93 Mustang at times. I'm more interested in dropping the rear to level the truck out but depending on the look I may do the front also.

Just wondering if anybody's having bottoming out or rubbing issues...

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the McG's 2/3 drop plus I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension. No problems towing my 8000+lb toy hauler and quads. Actually I think with the addition of the RAS it has improved towing noticeably, but when fully tightened the RAS raised the rear just little bit, need to measure exactly the height change.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bighitter said:
I have the McG's 2/3 drop plus I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension. No problems towing my 8000+lb toy hauler and quads. Actually I think with the addition of the RAS it has improved towing noticeably, but when fully tightened the RAS raised the rear just little bit, need to measure exactly the height change.
I was wondering if you would chime in :upsidedow.

Not familiar with RAS. Where can I find more info on it?

P.S. - Got my wheels & tires last week but I had to send on back due to defects in the chrome. I went with the Granite Alloys & 285/55/20 BFG KDW-2's. I'll post pics once installed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That sucks about the tires....

http://www.activesuspension.com/

They are available at a lot of RV dealers, I found mine locally in stock as they use the same one on F-150s, make sure you get the heavy duty one if you go with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bighitter said:
That sucks about the tires....

http://www.activesuspension.com/

They are available at a lot of RV dealers, I found mine locally in stock as they use the same one on F-150s, make sure you get the heavy duty one if you go with it.
Yeah but Tire Rack handled the problem well; I'll have em on by this weekend & post some pics.

Thanks for the link. I'll read up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bighitter said:
I'm decided to go with McG's 2-3 drop. Where's best place to purchase? I'll have it installed for me. How many hours installation time from qualified mechanic?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got it from a guy on ebay, dragnrocker I believe. It was pretty easy install but I also got new shocks at the same time so he didn't have to disassemble the factory struts to put on the new coils. I believe your looking at 4-6 hours depending on what you do with shocks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i tow a 23 foot open fisherman ,gear and 4 adults without any problems. it does ride stiffer than stock. be sure you have the front cam bolts put in so you can adjust the camber.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SoBeGraphics said:
i tow a 23 foot open fisherman ,gear and 4 adults without any problems. it does ride stiffer than stock. be sure you have the front cam bolts put in so you can adjust the camber.
Cam bolts? Is this something I have to get in addition to the lowering kit?

I was of the opinion that I purchased the lowering kit and the front and rear springs would be changes, bump stop cut in half and that would be it except for the possible need for an alignment. I have also ordered new Billstein shocks to be installed at the same time of lowering.

Are you aware of a listing posted somewhere that list everything needed to get the job done?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The cam bolts he is referring to are the camber adjustment bolts needed to do the alignment properly. I believe they stopped coming standard middle of 05 model year, someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
some have them and others do not. not sure what the cut off was. you may or may not need them but if the camber is off you will need them to adjust the camber.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What are the chances that the alignment shop have them?

Enroute is:

McG's lowering kit 2/3
4 Billstein BST shocks
Heartthrob exhaust system

I'm going to have it all installed at once (approx 6 hrs). Then take it for an alignment. Anyone see any problems with my strategy? And, is there anything else I'll need?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nope, sounds almost exactly like what I did but i already had an exhaust. You will love the setup. Just make sure to cut the rear bumpstops and remove the front ones.

·
Registered
789 Posts
sounds good. be sure to get the alignment report. ask the tech if the cam bolts are in or not. if the camber is within spec then your good if not get the camber bolts from the dealer and have them put in asap to get the camber within spec.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
moodgam said:
What are the chances that the alignment shop have them?

Enroute is:

McG's lowering kit 2/3
4 Billstein BST shocks
Heartthrob exhaust system

I'm going to have it all installed at once (approx 6 hrs). Then take it for an alignment. Anyone see any problems with my strategy? And, is there anything else I'll need?
highly unlikely. Napa carries em but only in select places. Dealer cost is about $97 after tax. I believe DOVA or someone was selling some he didnt need. 06 didnt have em either but 07 did. I needed them and i had to explain to the stupid dealer techs what they where and what they do so he could look em up. Shocks are a must good thinkin! if you cant afford all of them at least do the front while it is torn apart. the backs are cake do it yourself. bilstiens will work or KYB gr-2's are nice. There is a few shock companies that are sopossed to have lowered shocks out for us any time now

·
Registered
37 Posts
bighitter said:
Nope, sounds almost exactly like what I did but i already had an exhaust. You will love the setup. Just make sure to cut the rear bumpstops and remove the front ones.
What size rims do you have?

·
Registered
484 Posts
20s with 285-55-20 Yokohama Geolander HT-S 052 tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bighitter said:
20s with 285-55-20 Yokohama Geolander HT-S 052 tires.
Will 22's work with the McG's 2/3 drop without causing problems? I tow boat 4000# which typically drops my rear end 1".

I read on one of these threads that the 2/3 kit is really a 2/4.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes 24s will even work as that is what Sobe has, I believe Toomny has 22s as well as a few others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts