Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I hate American trucks.. which is why when I was in the market for a truck, it wasn't even a question that I was going to purchase a Titan, which I did - and I LOVE it. To this day, I have a blast driving my truck, and although I did very limited exterior mods, people always look at my truck, and always ask how I like it.

I also see people here comparing specs of our Titans to Fords, Dodges, and Chevy's.

I've noticed though, that quite a few people here pretty much say not to plow with a Titan. I guess my question is, why? The Titan is a truck! If a Ford F150, or a crappy Chevy Silverado can plow with no problem, then why can't we plow with our Titan's?

After reading this, it almost makes me question that my Titan isn't as good as a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge!

Are Titan's not built as good as it's American counterparts?

·
Premium Member
73,105 Posts
The manual says no plowing. You might risk voiding the warranty if you do. You can plow, but blast the front diff, or tranny, it might not be worth it...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I personally have no reason to plow, and never will. I just find it sort of insane that a 4x4 truck can't plow snow. I mean, that's one of the purposes of a truck!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Says the same thing in the rest of the 1/2 ton manuals
. Sure they can all do it but they don't have the HD frame/suspension the 3/4+do. I rarley see half tons with plows around here or would I consider buying a used 1/2 ton that was used for plowing.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
1/2 tons are not meant to plow. Sure they will do it, for a while.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't realize other 1/2 ton trucks specified that in their manuals as well. Where I am in upstate NY.. there are a ton of 1/2 trucks with plows.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
LAKE GEORGE! I spend most of my summers at King Phillps campground with the Trailer! Beautiful area. I think the 1/2 tons were sort of pushed away from plowing because of their independant front suspensions. I know 2 people who tow with theirs....1 is an 04 with a full sized metal set up and the other is an 06 or 07 (I think) with a full size polycarbonite plow set up. Neither have mentioned any problems. If it were my truck, I'd just be sure to maybe upgrade to a stronger spring/shock set up but the truck will handle it just a well as any other 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The great thing about these forums is that your questions are usually answered by someone who has expierence with what your asking.What your hearing are opinions.
Nobody has plowed with a Titan on this site but me. I got my info from a plow forum.Everyone plows with a half ton pickup, and the Titan is built better than any half ton on the road (engine,frame and transmission )The Diffs may have problems but i think that is a heat issue , and when its 20 degrees i dont think theirs a heat issue so you will have no problem plowing . Im on my 7th year plowing and have had zero issues.My truck still rides good and looks good.In fact ive been in brand new Ford 150s that dont ride as good as my 7 year old Titan. Bottom line is, dont ask a plumber for electrical advice.Change your fluids ,go easy and you will be fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my Titan, but saw a lifted Sierra today brand new dealer truck sent to 4WheelParts for " the " upgrade. Black with Chrome Revolution XO's wheels and 35 inch Xtreme AT's on it.

Damn nice truck and sweet interior

Merc

Sorry went a little off subject here.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my Titan, but saw a lifted Sierra today brand new dealer truck sent to 4WheelParts for " the " upgrade. Black with Chrome Revolution XO's wheels and 35 inch Xtreme AT's on it.

Damn nice truck and sweet interior

Merc

Sorry went a little off subject here.
LOL...truth be told, you could take ANY of todays 1/2 ton trucks and make them look killer. A nice set of wheels and lift and a little this and that, and you can make em' all turn heads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to step on anybodys toes but i personally would never plow with my titan. the front end isnt strong enough and the transmission is about the same as the 350z. I use a 08 f-350 stroker for plowin where the transmission and suspension is heavy enough.Only saying this after having my transmission rebuilt at 65k costing 4k.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Not to step on anybodys toes but i personally would never plow with my titan. the front end isnt strong enough and the transmission is about the same as the 350z. I use a 08 f-350 stroker for plowin where the transmission and suspension is heavy enough.Only saying this after having my transmission rebuilt at 65k costing 4k.
Perfectly understandable. However the suspension and tranny in a truck (no parts are shared with the Z BTW) built to tow a 9500 LB trailer, is more than capable of handling a plow. We have a fully boxed frame stronger than most 3/4 ton trucks of just a couple years ago....even some of todays 3/4 tons I bet. But what the heck do I know other than seeing others here who've been plowing trouble free with their Titans.

·
Premium Member
21,746 Posts
The folks at Warn said that when they looked into putting a winch on the Titan that they didn't think the front frame could handle more than around 10,000 lbs. A plow doesn't weigh anything close to that weight but the stress of pushing around heavy snow could do a number on the frame.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The great thing about these forums is that your questions are usually answered by someone who has expierence with what your asking.What your hearing are opinions.
Nobody has plowed with a Titan on this site but me. I got my info from a plow forum.Everyone plows with a half ton pickup, and the Titan is built better than any half ton on the road (engine,frame and transmission )The Diffs may have problems but i think that is a heat issue , and when its 20 degrees i dont think theirs a heat issue so you will have no problem plowing . Im on my 7th year plowing and have had zero issues.My truck still rides good and looks good.In fact ive been in brand new Ford 150s that dont ride as good as my 7 year old Titan. Bottom line is, dont ask a plumber for electrical advice.Change your fluids ,go easy and you will be fine.
I would leave that on year round to push the little hondas out on my way. AZ has lots of punk a$$ racers, I hate them.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
777 Posts
Does anyone plow with 2wd? I always wondered if it would even work?

·
Registered
372 Posts
http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=115057

Here is a review from a guy who has plowed with a Titan commercially.
Nice review,and i would second that review except that i never have stuck my truck, which i am amazed by considering what kind of snow i have drove through.Infact i had to pull out my friends chevy twice last year while we were plowing a lot together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts