Nissan Titan Forum banner

FFV or non-FFV cracked exhaust manifolds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After looking around the net for OEM replacement manifolds, I noticed there are different OEM part numbers for FFV Titans and non-FFV Titans. That has me wondering if there is a material/construction difference between them. I setup a poll for those of you that had cracked manifolds, and if you are FFV or non-FFV.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I think maybe something is different about the cats to handle more ethanol. I don't think ethanol in gas is generally a good thing for cats and other engine components (gaskets, seals).

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I think maybe something is different about the cats to handle more ethanol. I don't think ethanol in gas is generally a good thing for cats and other engine components (gaskets, seals).
Not to thread jack but any idea why my ethanol level is running at 50-60%. Uprev will take care of this I hope but what does ethanol level actually mean? I set mine to 0% for data logging and it goes right back to 50 to60%

As for Suddens question, I wonder if the ffv manifolds are thicker for some reason? Who knows

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Not to thread jack but any idea why my ethanol level is running at 50-60%. Uprev will take care of this I hope but what does ethanol level actually mean? I set mine to 0% for data logging and it goes right back to 50 to60%

As for Suddens question, I wonder if the ffv manifolds are thicker for some reason? Who knows
1. ethanol level - I dunno

2. could be thicker, I dunno maybe more ethanol burns hotter?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a few dollar difference between the FFV and non-FFV manifolds. That would be very interesting if the FFV manifolds were 14 gauge and the non-FFV were 16 gauge. I thought this poll might shed some light on the difference if any.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
There's a few dollar difference between the FFV and non-FFV manifolds. That would be very interesting if the FFV manifolds were 14 gauge and the non-FFV were 16 gauge. I thought this poll might shed some light on the difference if any.
When I gutted mine I did notice they looked pretty thick just by looking at them & nocking on them. When people post pics of the cracked ones they look paper thin to me. Hmmmmmm someone knows this answer. If mine is 14ga I'd be happy:)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Subscribed. Interesting question. FFV here, no header failure.

·
Premium Member
58,289 Posts
What if you are FFV and no failure? Or non-FFV and no failure?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I gutted mine I did notice they looked pretty thick just by looking at them & nocking on them. When people post pics of the cracked ones they look paper thin to me. Hmmmmmm someone knows this answer. If mine is 14ga I'd be happy:)
Bear River makes 14ga replacement exhaust manifolds for the Titan and says they should not crack for the life of the vehicle.

Item Details

The factory converter for the 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada 5.6L, 2004 - 2006 Nissan Armada 5.6L, and 2004-2006 Nissan Titan 5.6L is made as a 1-piece manifold and converter assembly. This assembly has a history of developing stress cracks between the two rearmost exhaust ports. This is due to the extreme thermal and physical stress, which causes the metal to fatigue and crack. This problem is due to design defect in Nissan's original part.

We have designed our part from stronger heavier gauge materials that are resistant to these types of stresses. Our part can withstand far greater temperatures and vibration, and resolves this problem once and for all. Stop going back to the dealer only to get a part that will eventually do the same thing. We have taken the extra steps to make a product that actually works. We have constructed our manifold from heavy 14 gauge steel. This is significantly thicker than the OEM manifold.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What if you are FFV and no failure? Or non-FFV and no failure?
That would give everyone a chance to vote, but that info is not very helpful since there were many more non-FFV Titans produced than FFV models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The cats have a different make up of materials. Nissan has fixed the manifold cracking issue by adding a support bar between the back 2 cylinder ports and out of the hundreds i have done none with the support have ever came back leaking or cracked.

·
Premium Member
58,289 Posts
The cats have a different make up of materials. Nissan has fixed the manifold cracking issue by adding a support bar between the back 2 cylinder ports and out of the hundreds i have done none with the support have ever came back leaking or cracked.
When did they fix them? FFV or non-FFV?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for posting. There have been only a couple of the newer 08 manifolds that have cracked and reported on the forum.

A few years ago, many members wondered why Nissan had that 1/8" gap on the rear cylinder flange. That's exactly where they are all cracking.

On a different note, are you saying that all of us that have the flange gap can prevent the cracking if we have a local shop weld a support bar over the gap? Can this be done easily without removing the manifolds?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope he gets back to this thread and can answer the question. I wonder if the heat shield can be sliced near the back flange and bent upwards to allow easy access to that gap in the flange. Then maybe you can get a wire fed welder in there and weld a piece over the gap to help minimize the expansion/contraction and prevent the stress crack. If this can be done without removing the manifolds, I'm definitely interested in having it done. I have three years left on the cat/manifold warranty, but I really don't want the dealer messing with my Titan.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Where are you Nissan master tech? We need these questions answered:)

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He replied to the PM: The passenger side maybe, but the drivers side I don't think could be done on truck.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I guess headers are in everyone future! Damn nissan manifolds!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts