Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the 2" leveling kit on my 08 4x4 and my question is why do I need aftermarket bumpstops? If in deed I need them can I get them at the autoparts store? Anything specific I should ask for?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The leveling kit pushes the lower control arm, (LCA), down, since the strut becomes effectively longer. So the OEM bumpstop isn't tall enough to hit the truck's frame above the LCA during the compression cycle of the suspension, and the strut's piston instead bottoms out inside of the strut. This can damages some struts, and it isn't a nice slow stop, like the bumpstops provide. There are also air bumps that are made by some of the companies that make high end coilovers. The urethane bumpstops are around $10 to $20 a pair at auto-parts stores. I forget the brand, maybe prothane or similar. They are about 2" tall cones with steps, and the bolt is sometimes a little large for the OEM holes, so the holes needs a little reaming.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
^^^ What he said :D

I've never seen them for more then about $15, any auto store should have 'em

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
It wont matter anways, your suspension will max out on the UCA/coil bucket. built in bumpstops :) Mine ride the coilbucket pretty bad with the 2" leveling kit. but yes buy some bump stops so your shock isnt ruined

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
It wont matter anways, your suspension will max out on the UCA/coil bucket. built in bumpstops :) Mine ride the coilbucket pretty bad with the 2" leveling kit. but yes buy some bump stops so your shock isnt ruined
UCA to coilbucket contact is from extension/droop, not compression/bump. Bumpstops won't help with that.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I need to order some bump stops, and when I looked online, I see all different sizes. I was thinking the 2" one's but not sure.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts