Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new pickup truck. Traded in the '07 Ram to get a car for the wife and now I need a anther truck. So those of you who shopped all the truck brands before you made a purchase, why did you buy a Titan? Looking forward to your responses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Price, warranty, features, comfort, value. As we all know trucks are way over priced the Titan I purchased has everything I wanted and more for 33000 compared to 48000 to 52000 other brands. The zero gravity seats are great for long trips the 100000 mile factory warranty is fantastic. I bought a 2018 Crew Cab 4X4 SV with all packages except Midnight and Texas. Mine came with running boards, fog lights and rear step. We have made 2 1200 mile trips and the truck has run like a top the comfortable seats are better than our Mercedes ML350 on long trips.
Our plans are to keep the truck for a long time so resale was not a concern. Trailer towing 7500 lbs and ride comfort were the top. Mileage is not that bad about 14-17 in town and 19-22 on the highway no trailer. The truck does suck down gas above 80 so we try to keep it below 78 cruise set at about 74-76. Recently we have installed a K&N air filter and hard tonneau cover and hope to see an increase on our next trips to South Dakota and then to Albuquerque latter this year.

NOTE: I am not a small guy 73 inches an 275 lbs and truck seats work great.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
542 Posts
Price, warranty, features, comfort, value. As we all know trucks are way over priced the Titan I purchased has everything I wanted and more for 33000 compared to 48000 to 52000 other brands. The zero gravity seats are great for long trips the 100000 mile factory warranty is fantastic. I bought a 2018 Crew Cab 4X4 SV with all packages except Midnight and Texas. Mine came with running boards, fog lights and rear step. We have made 2 1200 mile trips and the truck has run like a top the comfortable seats are better than our Mercedes ML350 on long trips.
Our plans are to keep the truck for a long time so resale was not a concern. Trailer towing 7500 lbs and ride comfort were the top. Mileage is not that bad about 14-17 in town and 19-22 on the highway no trailer. The truck does suck down gas above 80 so we try to keep it below 78 cruise set at about 74-76. Recently we have installed a K&N air filter and hard tonneau cover and hope to see an increase on our next trips to South Dakota and then to Albuquerque latter this year.

NOTE: I am not a small guy 73 inches an 275 lbs and truck seats work great.

Hope this helps..
Well said....

Dont fall for the resale value bs... Its just a gimmick to get u to buy a popular brand.

Resale value is relative to initial prices paid. The Titan has the lowest price so expect a low resale value....

·
Registered
7 Posts
2019 Midnight Edition here.

Reasons that I got the Titan in no particular order:

Warranty. 5 years 100K is hard to beat.

Comfort. I knew it was comfortable when we test drove it, but on the road it is VERY comfortable.

Value. Sticker was about the same as other brands, but the deal I got was outstanding. Even on a '19

Dealer. Just outstanding to work with. Purchased mine in Cedar Falls, IA.

Engine. It's a real V8 with none of that go to V4 mode crap that they are having serious trouble with.

Bottom line. I drove them all. I liked the Titan the best.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am in the market for a new pickup truck. Traded in the '07 Ram to get a car for the wife and now I need a anther truck. So those of you who shopped all the truck brands before you made a purchase, why did you buy a Titan? Looking forward to your responses.
I say go for the Titan. I bought a leftover '18 SV Crew cab brand new 3 months ago. I am very happy with it. Initially I was looking at the Frontier, but the rear legroom was lacking. I have 2 adult kids currently in college and when theyre not in school, I would need the room back there for trips. I did zero research on the Titan prior to buying but deep down I know I did a good thing. Prior to the Titan I had a '14 Grand Cherokee and while I was happy with it, things started to go. I traded the Jeep with 55k on it and put it towards the Titan. I absolutely did not want another Chrysler product( Not knocking the Ram guys) , I just didnt want to take a chance. After buying it I researched the Titan and in my opinion it is very well built. Nissan is not selling the numbers they want to so my advice, chew them(the dealer) down! Good luck! P.S. the exhaust sounds great! You know it has a great motor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Because they’re only truck manufacturer that isn’t trying to screw you out of $45,000 for a basic 4wd.

Like others have stated, end of year Titans can be found on the cheap. I got an SV 4wd with a lot of extras for $33k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 SL crew with the towing package that I bought new in May of 2018, for about 32% off the sticker price but that included a college grad rebate for my daughter so figure without that about 30%. No other manufacturer could touch giving me such features for that money.

I am not brand specific but tend towards Fords as I bought one new in 1990 that I kept for ten years before selling it for about half of what I paid for it. However, I couldn't touch a Ford with the same features near the Titan's price. Chevy/GMC were giving deep discounts, but not Titan deep, on their outgoing (at that time) models. Those models didn't offer blind spot monitoring, rear air ducts, and the 5.3 on paper was less of an engine (reliability wise maybe not if the cylinder scoring with the Titan's 5.7 Endurance becomes widespread).

I love the truck. As stated the seats are beyond comfortable. I find the handling to be excellent: enough truck feel tempered by excellent handling. The 5.7 with the direct injection, VVEL, and MCV (always open throttle valve) is a rocket to me so much so that it's off the line response took some adjusting to. Some reviewers dislike the interior; I like it. It's simple and high end enough for me. Some don't like the column shift, but I cut my teeth on two old Ford's with three on the tree so that's not an issue to me. Although I will say that I'm not fond of how the selector feels like it has to much play. My 7 inch screen (bigger on the new ones) seems small and graphically behind the eight inch one on my 2014 Taurus, but it's sufficient and includes navigation which is responsive and useful. I bought it to tow a 6,000 to 7,000 pound camper, but don't have that yet and haven't towed with it so can't comment on that.

My company car is a 2018 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3. The Titan is much funner to drive, but it's also more decked out as the Tahoe is more base. I don't know if they tuned the Tahoe for gas mileage or it's inherent to the 5.3, but it always seems to bog down when I hit the accelerator before coming to life. I like the Tahoe, but I much prefer the acceleration and handling of the Titan.

I thinks choosing the Titan depends on what your looking for and personal choice. If you don't mind dealing, then you should land up with a truck that will be substantially cheaper (feature for feature) than the competition. If you need a half ton that tows around 10,000 pounds, you may be best looking somewhere else. If you want the truck with the smoothest ride and nicest interior, you may want to take a good look at the RAM. If resale is important or soon, the Ford and/or Chevy may be the way to go. If you live in the rust belt like I do, an aluminum body may interest you. If you live where a Nissan dealer is miles away, a domestic might be the choice as their dealers are everywhere. If your looking for an automatic setting for all/four wheel drive, Nissan doesn't have it. The others do.

However, if you want a truck that comfortable, fun to drive, has an excellent V-8 (again barring cylinder scoring issues), and has the longest warranty for what today's truck prices demand at a reasonable (probably the cheapest) price, then a Titan should be in serious contention.

Good luck on the choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I have owned Frontiers for the last 12 years and my last one was modified decently to where I really enjoyed it. I looked at the Titan's when they first came out and didn't really care for the looks of them BUT i found a blue Pro-4X and fell in love. I wasn't really looking for a new truck much less a bigger payment but I liked the room on a full sized truck and with the gas mileage I was getting, I might as well have V-8. I LOVE my Titan, the looks, the feel, the comfort, the power, the sound of a V-8 (i Have missed that sound), the warranty. Does it have all the creature comforts of the rivals, no, but if I wanted all that, I would buy a car or an SUV. The Titan is a truck and that's what I wanted.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Titan is the best bang for your buck. I traded in the most coveted truck in America , 2015 Ford F150 , for my Titan. Love it , will never go back to Ford.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Price, warranty and bang for the buck. Very good engineering and they keep it simple. I don't like cylinder deactivation (GM/Dodge) due to wear & tear on the piston rings. I don't like high ratio fuel system in the turbos (Ford). I also dont like engine stop technology. Way to many things to go wrong. I'm pretty confident that this truck will go over 200k with out any major problems. The only other truck I considered was Toyota 5.7. The Toyota were 10k more. Totally not worth it!

·
Registered
318 Posts
My interest in getting a truck came about as result of the decision to do a home renovation. Although we didn't do much of the actual work on the project, we did find great deals on reno items such as flooring, roofing, windows, etc. About the 3rd time I asked to borrow my brother's truck I realized it would be good to have one. I initially settled on a GMC Canyon king cab. I test drove a few but the price's seemed crazy high to get the features I wanted. And none of the dealerships offered much hope of deep discounts. After a couple months of this I read a review of the Nissan Titan. I went online and saw that the full size truck started at a price substantially lower than the prices I'd been looking at for Canyons.

I went online and used the configurator to get the vehicle exactly to my specs. Then when I hit search, I discovered the exact vehicle available (complete with color etc) at a local dealer. I remember coming in from the airport and heading right to the dealer. Coincidentally, Nissan was doing a 6k off special that very week. To cut the long story, except for the dealer charging me a mystery $400 fee that I didn't realize till I got home, I got my SV Single Cab for 24k. I've added leather and a power driver seat, a rain sensor, bed drawers, tinting, LED headlights, and the Navi headunit and still managed to keep the price under 30k.

Like others here have said, the truck feels upscale and modern. I've had riders get in and tell me the truck probably cost mid 40s or more. Since most of the truck guys I know have trucks that 4 or 5 years old, they constantly compliment me on how nice my truck is. I'm planning to keep mine for a decade at least. It rides great and while I'm sure there are other trucks out there with more tech or luxury I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

Here's my advice: if you're making the payment you should get what you like. But definitely consider avoiding getting a brand or feature just because other people have it. Get the value you want and will use, not the extras that you don't actually plan to use because you're worried what other trucks owners might say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great question. I have a 2018 Pro-4x with just over 6400 miles on it. I did research for a solid year plus on trucks before pulling the trigger on my Titan and my reasons were multiple.

Like a lot of the others here, I just wanted a tried and true V-8 without cylinder deactivation or turbos. I drove a 5.7 Tundra and while it was nice, the Toyota dealer had almost no incentives to get me out the door at a decent price. The 5.6 seems great and I have gotten 20+ mpg on my longer road trips. For a 2+ ton truck with 4x4 and off-road tires, that’s absurd. On regular gas too.

The Pro-4x has some serious off-road chops for a full size pickup. Yes if you’re super serious about off roading you should be running a Wrangler. But my Titan has a legit rear locker (looking at you Chevy/Ram/Toyota) and hill descent control which is awesome. I’m not afraid of getting this truck stuck anywhere.

The creature comforts are nice! This sounds dumb but I wanted bucket seats up front with a center console. Getting that in any other truck was pushing some serious money around. The screen is fine (plus now they have car play) and the Zero gravity seats are no joke. The Titan has one of the smallest cabins in the class and it’s still stupid big. It’s quiet in there on the road and overall it’s just a nice place to be at. The rear seats are also zero gravity (on the outside) and the storage system back there is intuitive and nice.

The outside looks a little funny at certain angles but that’s ok. Also it’s one of the only trucks that came with an actual sprayed in bedliner and LED cargo lamp up top. The soft open/close tailgate is great and it has a MANUAL REAR SLIDING WINDOW! One less thing to break.

As for resale, who cares. I’m keeping this thing until it dies.

If you’re looking for a great truck with a nice mix of options, the Titan checks all the boxes. I got my Pro-4x for 37k before taxes with USAA’s car buying program. Plus you won’t see a ton of them on the road.

Only complaints I have is the gas tank is small and the transmission is kind of weird at times, but nothing is perfect. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be honest, I knocked the Titan off my list sight unseen because of the lousy electronics. I am a computer engineer and live and die by my tech. I was moving from a very well equipped large SUV and wanted my comforts.

BUT, after driving EVERYTHING else (mid and fullsize except the Ridgeline - not a real truck and lower towing than my SUV), I was left with an overwhelming feeling of "meh". Nothing really impressed me. Mostly comfort wasn't there, and the prices were outrageous.

I finally went to the Nissan dealer down the street from the office one Friday after work, and I was hooked. This truck had some juice, was very comfortable, and such a sweet exhaust note. Did a bit of research and found that, although not best in class in anything, it always seemed to be runner up in almost everything. In other words, jack of all trades, and all around competent truck. Maybe not the girl you want to take to the prom, more the girl you want to marry (although I would argue that my Midnight Ed. is a pretty good looker too).

At the end of the day, I realized that the lack of electronics wasn't as big a feature as I thought it would be. After all, electronics are easy to upgrade, and I have done it on several previous vehicles.

The end of year incentives sealed the deal. Nissan was virtually giving away the ME's in Canada at the end of the year. I got into mine for a lower price and payment than my former SUV. The list retail on the Truck was actually $15k higher to start.

So far no regrets. It tows like a trooper, and has been fun for the basic upgrades and additions I have done so far. I still haven't done the audio upgrade; waiting for the Phoenix release, well and DW will kill me if I don't finish up the install of my old system from the Chev into her Juke first. Started that in January when it was -40, but was too cold to do all the fine details, so there are still some loose wires about, and I have to hook up the e-brake wire to get Android Auto working correctly. Hmm, maybe this weekend.

ETA: Just thinking about it, a lot of the "meh" factor was that by the time I got the others configured to tow what I needed, and with the features I wanted, I was looking at C$80,000 and up. That is just stupid territory for a truck IMO. For the money I paid, nothing could touch the Titan. Not Even Close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Titan owner here, and first post to the forum. Never owned a truck before I bought my 2018 SV Crew Cab used two months ago. I looked at and test drove Ford, Chrysler and Chevy full size trucks before I decided. Checked out the Tundra too. And then I drove the Titan. Everything I wanted, really good at everything I wanted, and nothing that I didn't. But the price and warranty were just phenomenal to me. Bought it just less than a year old with 18000 miles on it. Certified preowned program at $29,500 out the door. For what mine came with and the warranty, no Ford, Chrysler, Chevy or Toyota I looked at could touch it. Not even close. It's strong, comfortable, gets better gas mileage than my other vehicle (loaded 2013 JKU Rubicon). For me, it's just a great truck and I expect to keep until it dies. Completely satisfied.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, and I forgot, it's 4wd. For me, that was important too. I like to camp, and although I live and work in DC, I spend time in Pennsylvania and Maine with family every chance I get. Its not my JK off-road, and that's perfect for me. JK for off-road play, my Titan for everything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts