Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Included a video demonstrating my weird engine ping/knocking noise going on. Pulled my entire exhaust apart today thinking I had something rattling around. Ran the truck open header and could still hear the knock. My guess is valve timing is off or something along the lines of some miscommunication going on with something in my engine...anyone have any thoughts?

Always run 87 fuel from Chevron/Shell, use Penzoil 10w-30 oil

Thanks guys,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Mine does this too at idle, I just thought it was normal. Is there any harm being done over time? If not then it doesn't bug me enough to fix.

·
Super Moderator
93,609 Posts
Sounded normal to me also.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic stethoscope is inexpensive and very effective at tracking down noises. The one if have is made by Lisle.

I assume you checked the oil level.

There was a TSB for a similar noise in 04. I dunno if this could still be a problem or not.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/titan-problems-dealer-service/17206d1117049325-tsbs-pdf-format-ntb04-124a.pdf
Not a bad idea with the stethoscope, may have to pick one up...checked the oil level and it was fine. Hmm going to look over that TSB, thanks for the link!

Mine does this too at idle, I just thought it was normal. Is there any harm being done over time? If not then it doesn't bug me enough to fix.
Mine is SO loud with my exhaust, its more embarrassing than anything when people are standing around your truck asking what the knock noise is...:ftard:

Sounded normal to me also.
If you lay under your truck do you get a sharp sound like a skrew driver rattling around in your exhaust? It could be the audio from my camera masking how bad it really is...

The 04 Titans had an electrical tick noise also. Somebody finally figured out it could be cured by upgrading the grounds.
I ran a stillen grounding kit and noticed no change in really anything with the truck, but upgrading the grounds might be a good idea just in case...

Should I try running a different weight oil or perhaps even start running synthetic? I've heard running synthetic after using conventional oil could do more harm than good...this true?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Definitely not a deep sounding knocking noise which is always a bad thing. I agree with bestachess, get a stethoscope and narrow down the area it's coming from. I think the loudness of the ticking is not normal. I heard a bunch of Titans/Armadas idling and some tick louder than others but none as loud as your recording.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Well, ive got a clicking noise, but i know its my wheel bearings, but also to the oil, im just running 10w-40, and i down have any noises when idling? 05 btw.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Should I try running a different weight oil or perhaps even start running synthetic? I've heard running synthetic after using conventional oil could do more harm than good...this true?

Not true at all. You get the same or better lubrication with a lower pour point for those cooler early morning startups. allows the oil to circulate thru the engine faster.

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
nature of our beasts. mine does it too, actually both of mine do it.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I haven't seen discussion on this for quite awhile, but early years owners complained about same sound. Usual culprits were Broken Ground from Muffler to Frame (Ticking), Type of Oil (Knock at Startup), and Fuel Injection System (Tapping - considered normal).

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you have a long-ish screwdriver you can use that instead of buying the stethoscope. Just put your thumb over the end of the handle, press your ear to your thumb and start probing around, it's just as accurate.

I have a Snap-On 24" screwdriver that works great for that.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
The standard OEM spec on oil is 5w-30 not 10w-30. Based on camera position it sounds like the noise is coming from closer to the engine.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the same sound. Mine comes from the engine compartment. I was told that it had something to do with the fuel injectors. IDK...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Good observation! The 10W is heavier at start up then 5W, but same as it warms up. Some have had noise come or go by switching brands of oil of same ratings. Some tried a particular 0W-40 with good results and used Oil Analysis.

Sears Craftsman Stethoscope runs about $15 I think. I want to get one just to try out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts