Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Titan owners,

I finally figured out what causes the electric captains seats to freak out and start folding up on you.

Here's what causes it and how it happens:

The Titan is very tall with lots of ground clearance which causes the seat of the Titan to be very high from street level. This causes you to enter the driver's seat a little bit different than normal. I am 6"-2" and I still enter in this different way.

In a normal pickup, with a lower seat height than a Titan, you can just "jump in" with your butt and both feet landing at the same time. Due to the height of the Titan, I , and I assume others, enter this way. You touch the steering wheel from outside,then raise and put your right foot on the middle of the floorboard and then jump half-way in with half your butt hanging half way off of the left side of the powered captains seat. After you are in this position, you lift your left leg into the truck. THIS is when the problem occurs! While your weight is on your left butt cheek, because most of your weight is on your left side, the foam in the captains seat will compress all the way down to the seat switches and both your thigh and butt can activate them. See there, the problem is not in your head after all, it's in your butt! :jester: I have replicated this time after time in my testing and this is exactly what happens. Try it out for yourself. Your weight has to be on the extreme left edge of the seat above the seat control buttons. I weigh 250 lbs. which might explain why this problem may not happen to everyone. When this happens to you for the first time, you will panic and not know what to do and not realize what is causing it. The good thing in discovering this is that it will likely not happen while in motion. I say this because for most of your weight to be that far to the left edge of the seat, the front door would have to be open. Remember, when you try this out yourself leave the door open so you can put all your weight on the left side. I remember now, that when this happened to me the first time, It happened when the door was open. I hope I am halfway clear in my description; all this is difficult to put into words.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
robertc said:
Robert

I figured the same thing out myself in another post. Some wise guys here told me to go on a diet. I weigh 218 lbs. which is enough to compress the seat on the left edge. Maybe the 150lb. guys need to bulk up to test this annoying defect out for themselves. Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheers:
:jester:
Absolutely! A macho man is what is needed for a macho truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice, I thought I had lost my mind ("Darn seat is weird again....did i think this was comfortable yesterday? What was I thinking...") :upsidedow

·
Registered
37 Posts
@snowman

@snowman -
What exactly are you experiencing there? Big Movements in your seat (sorry for the funny there) - Or are you talking just little shifts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Big Belly Tow... I like that.

I being less than 200 lbs was unable to duplicate the problem, but I think there might be some truth to it.

Anyone still have the seat slowly tilting forward when they drive? It could be my jacket bumping against the switch.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm all of 5'8" tall and literally have to climb into my Titan's driver seat since i don't have step rails yet. I haven't experienced any movement in the seat angle at any time getting in, out, or while driving. I'd agree it's an electrical short somewhere in the seat.

Anyone else experience this? My driver's seat feels a little loose on it's tracks. When i accelerate from a dead stop the seat kinda slides about a 1/16". Not like it's gonna come off the track or anything just like there's too much play between the seat brackets and the rails. It doesn't jiggle or anything like it's unsecured, just moves slightly when accelerating. :huh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am 300 pounds 6'1", I have touch the controls few times with my left leg, but the seats are perfect size for a man my size.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have replicated this quite a few times by just jumping in the truck really quick to grab something and only sitting halfway in it. The seat will just start to recline on its own, and I noticed it was the foam on the seat hitting the switch. Pissed me off at first but now that I know it happens when I sit like that I just avoid sitting on half the outter seat.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes I thought I was going crazy for the first couple of weeks I had it, 'dammit I just moved this thing back this morning, I know I did!' then one quiet morning I was just getting something out of the truck, hanging halfway out like mentioned above. I heard the little motor running and felt the seat back leaning forward. Mystery solved!
I think an electric seat disable switch in one of the blanks on the dash would be cool. Or just a little better designed power seat control so that the buttons don't get bumped.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Finally, somebody that agrees with me. I posted about this back in October. I'm 6'-1" and when I get in the truck, my left leg brushes the control and the seat back moves forward. By Friday afternoon, I am driving at a 45 degree angle. If it is quiet out, some times I can hear the motor run for a fraction of a second as my leg touchs the control.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am 6-3 215 and I have the same problem but I have also knowticed it all depends if I pull myself in or just slide in the seat. I also thought my wife had been stealing the titan when I was sleeping lol, just learned after a few days of the "what the hell" look on my face when found my seat had moved when getting in .

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I was wondering why my seat moves forward just a fraction each time I drive it, now I know. I figured I was catching the switch when I slide out of the seat when leaving the truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 07 le with memory controls.. my seat moves while I'm going down the road the back and bottom it will move 2 to 3 inches back the seat back will move also quite noticeably.. not small movements. And I'm not hitting the switch while driving and I'm sitting on the right side of seat cause I tried it still happens

1 - 19 of 19 Posts