Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 2008 Titan XE 2wd, white color, has 197k miles. List price back then was $30,800. I paid FAR less than that, for sure, got a great deal. Scraped a street sign doing 40mph several years ago, didn't fix it. Lady backed into my front in a parking lot, didn't fix it. End result is left side has some dents and scraped paint, functional but significant dents. I put touch up paint on to lessen the darkness of the scratches. Not real deep dents but certainly noticeable, lol. Front bumper where meets lights had some trim come off. Lights fully functional. Also, the driver seat cloth cushion is worn out from general use, styrofoam is showing. My dog chewed the wiring to the front passenger airbag, I doubt it will work. So, the truck is rough in spots but I use it daily, drives fine. Occasionally haul firewood. The bed has no bedliner and is a bit scuffed, minor denting from firewood. Routine maintenance stuff over 12 years, no big issues. Replaced front brakes, both front wheel bearings. Truck has no real bells/whistles. Has electric windows, trailer hitch, cd player, electric rear window; this is before you had big screens on the dash. Aggressive mudgrip tires on rear. Do you think would anyone buy this on used market or are they going to look for something clean? I checked blue book value a few weeks ago and I think it was somewhere between $4k and $7k. Reason I ask is because I see quite a few Titans for sale that are clean. So, wondering if mine would even sell. Thinking of buying another truck, would like to sell this one.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
My prediction is that you won't get anywhere near that amount based on miles and condition. I got $5k for my 4WD last year with 155k miles and in much better condition and it was an SE. This truck sounds like it is worth maybe $2k.

·
Registered
599 Posts
mismatched tires, chewed harness, body damage...I'm going to say $1K max.

Titans with less issues can be had for $2-3K

·
Registered
913 Posts
Agreed- if no work is done on this poor, trashed Titan, you can't expect to get much for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, if it's not worth any more than that, I probably should cancel insurance for the part that covers truck damage in an accident. If anyone else has an opinion to my used truck value, fire away, and thanks for the above answers.

BTW, FWIW, each time my brother has had a used vehicle (three times I can think of) and he would say he was going to ask $xxxx for it, I've said, "No way it will bring that much." And each time, he has gotten what he wanted! I was shocked, actually.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't dropped collision and comprehensive long before now. :)

Your truck is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I have been amazed at what some vehicles sell for. It really depends on the demographics in your area. There are people looking for trucks to help them make a living if they have come into this country through holes in non existent fences.

When you look up value on your truck you need to put in poor condition.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Kelly Blue Book says your truck is worth somewhere between $1700-3100. That's figuring it's a standard XE model crew cab short bed. If it's a different configuration, the price changes a little, but not much, within the XE lineup. If you live in an area with a lot of illegal immigrants, you might get more, as trucks are valuable for those folks due to the kinds of work they often end up doing.

Reality is, it's not worth much in beat up condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW I just bought an 04 SE CC 4wd 173k with rear quarter dents, tailgate dents and various other Issues for $4900 and felt like I got a deal. A day later saw one that looked identical and same mileage and Year with a sign for $7800.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kelly Blue Book says your truck is worth somewhere between $1700-3100. That's figuring it's a standard XE model crew cab short bed. If it's a different configuration, the price changes a little, but not much, within the XE lineup. If you live in an area with a lot of illegal immigrants, you might get more, as trucks are valuable for those folks due to the kinds of work they often end up doing.

Reality is, it's not worth much in beat up condition.
Thanks for input. Yes, 5.5' bed. I went to KBB and messed around with it and came up with your numbers but that was trade-in value, not private party sale value and that was using FAIR condition. Clicking over to private party value was significantly more. Also, "fair" condition stated that it required cosmetic defects be fixed and that's not the case, the truck runs fine. "Good" condition seemed more appropriate reading KBB's description of what "good" means... appeared to me it meant cosmetic flaws but not needing to be fixed and otherwise, fully driveable. FWIW, I also have a trailer hitch and lights wiring on it and that cost several hundred dollars after market. Based on about as close as I can come to doing it accurately on KBB, the private party sale value is somewhere between $3,000 and $4,300. That seems reasonable having the trailer hitch/wiring and... I also do not think mud grips on back hurts value. Around here, that's a plus if it's a work truck... and, lastly, my brother selling his vehicles over the years for far more than I thought he would get is a positive, lol. I probably would be ok with $2,500 or more. Of interest to you guys... I paid only $18,500 brand new; as I said, the sticker was $30,800. My best deal ever. I would be surprised if they made a profit on that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have Mexicans all the time asking to buy my Titan from me! It does have scratches from previous owner, backed up drunk as can be into his 16' aluminum boat, somebody at boat landing put a scratch the whole side of truck with a boat trailer! Nope I'm not selling my Titan, it's perfect for me! As for your truck pictures help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for input. Yes, 5.5' bed. I went to KBB and messed around with it and came up with your numbers but that was trade-in value, not private party sale value and that was using FAIR condition. Clicking over to private party value was significantly more. Also, "fair" condition stated that it required cosmetic defects be fixed and that's not the case, the truck runs fine. "Good" condition seemed more appropriate reading KBB's description of what "good" means... appeared to me it meant cosmetic flaws but not needing to be fixed and otherwise, fully driveable. FWIW, I also have a trailer hitch and lights wiring on it and that cost several hundred dollars after market. Based on about as close as I can come to doing it accurately on KBB, the private party sale value is somewhere between $3,000 and $4,300. That seems reasonable having the trailer hitch/wiring and... I also do not think mud grips on back hurts value. Around here, that's a plus if it's a work truck... and, lastly, my brother selling his vehicles over the years for far more than I thought he would get is a positive, lol. I probably would be ok with $2,500 or more. Of interest to you guys... I paid only $18,500 brand new; as I said, the sticker was $30,800. My best deal ever. I would be surprised if they made a profit on that.
Yep, deals were to be had during the recession. Bought our brand new '08 GMC 2500 HD for $13,500 after all deals when GM looked like they were going to have to file for bankruptcy.

Seriously, look at what other trucks in your area are listed for and if you are not in a hurry to sell list it on the high side and see what happens. You can always lower the price, but you can't raise it.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Nissans have low resale value. You'll be lucky to get $2k in the condition you describe.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I just traded in my truck for $8500. '08 King Cab, 4WD, 158k miles. Exterior showed 12 years of age with minor scratches, dents, and dings. I also bed lined the roof with spray liner because of rust and clear coat issues, but it looked good (to me at least). Interior other than being dirty it was in great shape. Minor wear on plastics, steering wheel showed minor wear, the only spot the leather was cracked was the driver arm rest because I hadn't bothered to swap arm rest covers with the passenger side. Mechanically it ran better than new, and had power very close to newer trucks now. You can see my list of mods below that don't really factor into trades.

If I was selling I would have been looking for 10.5-12k and firm at 10k. For the same truck with 2WD I would have expected 2k less. So factor in your issues/wear and just keep dropping the price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just traded in my truck for $8500. '08 King Cab, 4WD, 158k miles. Exterior showed 12 years of age with minor scratches, dents, and dings. I also bed lined the roof with spray liner because of rust and clear coat issues, but it looked good (to me at least). Interior other than being dirty it was in great shape. Minor wear on plastics, steering wheel showed minor wear, the only spot the leather was cracked was the driver arm rest because I hadn't bothered to swap arm rest covers with the passenger side. Mechanically it ran better than new, and had power very close to newer trucks now. You can see my list of mods below that don't really factor into trades.

If I was selling I would have been looking for 10.5-12k and firm at 10k. For the same truck with 2WD I would have expected 2k less. So factor in your issues/wear and just keep dropping the price.
How much off the price of the rebel did you get. Dealers can play all over the place on trade in. They give you $2000 more on your trade and hold onto $2000 on the selling price of the truck. They don't lose in most cases.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
How much off the price of the rebel did you get. Dealers can play all over the place on trade in. They give you $2000 more on your trade and hold onto $2000 on the selling price of the truck. They don't lose in most cases.
18% before trade in and tax, tag, title. It wasn't the best deal you could get, but it was enough for me. Then they gave me $1000 more than I had planned to be my "max" trade in price. 0% interest for 36 months (I planned to pay it off in 36 regardless of loan term) was icing on the cake.

·
Registered
129 Posts
18% before trade in and tax, tag, title. It wasn't the best deal you could get, but it was enough for me. Then they gave me $1000 more than I had planned to be my "max" trade in price. 0% interest for 36 months (I planned to pay it off in 36 regardless of loan term) was icing on the cake.
Now we know why RAM is the best selling truck. Too bad I would never buy a Fiat/Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/Daihlmer product. Ingrained in me since childhood. The things our parents do to us. Hope it works well for you for the next 12 years.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Now we know why RAM is the best selling truck. Too bad I would never buy a Fiat/Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/Daihlmer product. Ingrained in me since childhood. The things our parents do to us. Hope it works well for you for the next 12 years.
Yep, that's exactly my biggest fear. "Chrysler transmissions are junk, it's going to die on you at 61k miles" has been thrown at me by almost every male family member I've told. Meanwhile I have several friends and co-workers with 150k+ mile RAMs. Hoping it lasts as long as my Titan did, then I can just hand it down to my son when he turns 16.:D

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I agree, trade in value is not a good measure of market value. Dealers will write anything on paper and manipulate the numbers around. Where I live (plenty of immigrants and rednecks both) any truck that runs and drives will fetch at least $1,500

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I agree, trade in value is not a good measure of market value. Dealers will write anything on paper and manipulate the numbers around. Where I live (plenty of immigrants and rednecks both) any truck that runs and drives will fetch at least $1,500
Which is why I also gave my sell price range if I had tried to sell it myself. To me it was worth the $1500 off my absolutely minimum to not have to sell it myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts