Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddy with some tires: 33x12.5x16.5

I have these wheels. They came with the truck.

Will the 33x12.5x16.5 tires fit my wheels? Just lifted my truck 3"
:ftard:

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
No. your rim is a 17 inch rim. those tires are for a 16.5. some 33's would look killer though!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
What about BF Goodrich A/T radials

315-70-17s

These tires ok? Pieces of crap?
They will fit fine with a leveling kit and mudguard removal, and in most cases a little trimming at the Pinch Weld, [see link in my sig]. You may have issues with the torque converter not locking right away after reaching speed. If you have the standard 2.94 gears it might be fairly bad. If you have a 2wd you can get gears, if not look for a smaller diameter tire. My next tire will be a LT295/70R17 because even with a 34" LT305/70R17 mine doesn't lockup into OD right away like it did with a 33.5".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will fit fine with a leveling kit and mudguard removal, and in most cases a little trimming at the Pinch Weld, [see link in my sig]. You may have issues with the torque converter not locking right away after reaching speed. If you have the standard 2.94 gears it might be fairly bad. If you have a 2wd you can get gears, if not look for a smaller diameter tire. My next tire will be a LT295/70R17 because even with a 34" LT305/70R17 mine doesn't lockup into OD right away like it did with a 33.5".
Holy cow I don't talk mechanics! I have an off road LE, that's about all I know.
It's got a 3 inch lift. 34s 11.5 wide bfg's on it right now. It's 2wd.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Holy cow I don't talk mechanics! I have an off road LE, that's about all I know.
It's got a 3 inch lift. 34s 11.5 wide bfg's on it right now. It's 2wd.
An '04 2wd OR package. Then you have the 3.36 gears which are lower, but maybe not low enough for the 34.5" 315/70R17, as far as the torque converter locking correctly. You will still have plenty of power though. If you have the issue, just longer to lock after reaching speed, and more likely to drop out of overdrive on gentler up slopes than with the 33s.

If I was going to keep getting 34's or larger, and had a 2wd, I'd probably get the 3.73 gears and a Tru-trac limited slip differential. But front 3.73's, (or any other ratios), are not out yet, and once they are, I'll probably wait and see how our front diffs do before deciding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok....one more tire size question.

35 12.50 17 bfg mud terrains

Will these fit?
truck details are at the top.

What do I need to do to change the gear ratio? I have a 2wd truck, but it's suppose to be 4wd. Front differential malfunctioned.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Ok....one more tire size question.

35 12.50 17 bfg mud terrains

Will these fit?
truck details are at the top.

What do I need to do to change the gear ratio? I have a 2wd truck, but it's suppose to be 4wd. Front differential malfunctioned.
Everything I mentioned in the post above would apply to these, but be a little worse since they are taller and wider, and are a M/T instead of the LT315/70R17 KO's which are a 34.5" diameter A/T.

But on stock OR rims and a 3" spacer, plus more trimming they should fit. I wouldn't run them without changing the gears, but there are plenty that would run them with your 3.36 OR gears.

If you decide to change the gears, there is a bunch of information here ... http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/112715-diff-gear-swap-info.html

If you ever want to replace the front though, they rear ratio you pick, must have the same available for the front. Currently I don't think there are any for the front, but soon there is supposed to be 4.10's or 4.11"s from superior. Someone else said 3.73 fronts soon which would be a better match for a 35. But these things always get pushed out. If you're happy with just the rear, then get the 3.73.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So in idiots language .... what happens if I just put these tires on my truck without doing any of the things you mentioned.

I'm being an honest blockhead instead of pretending to know what you are talking about. :)

I'm running fairly large tires on my truck as is. So, I guess I just don't really know how it will affect the truck.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
So in idiots language .... what happens if I just put these tires on my truck without doing any of the things you mentioned.

I'm being an honest blockhead instead of pretending to know what you are talking about. :)

I'm running fairly large tires on my truck as is. So, I guess I just don't really know how it will affect the truck.
As for tire fitment, you will likely need to remove your front mud guards, then do the pinch weld mod, (see the link in my sig). The edge of the tire rubs the back of the front wheel well when turning. So while parked, turn the wheel all the way and see if it rubs, then do the other side. Remove the fender liners trying not to break the clips. Cut where necessary. I used a Skill brand of a Sawzall and 4 cheap metal cutting blades. Did it with the wheels on, but turned out of the way. Test, then cut more as needed. Reinstall the fender liners, pulling them back, (I put a new hole through the liner to pull it back more). You can also use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the liner and reshape it with a board for clearance.

as far as the torque converter locking correctly. You will still have plenty of power though. If you have the issue, just longer to lock after reaching speed, and more likely to drop out of overdrive on gentler up slopes than with the 33s.
Just try it for a while, and if the slow lockup into overdrive bothers you, or you feel it hasn't got enough power for you, get some gears put in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts