Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks!

So, I decided I absolutely need a winch for the fire roads and off road trails around here, and I have a couple of questions.

First, I have been looking at the Mile Marker winch mount grille guard (I know some people on here have it, $610 on 4x4parts.com?) for quite some time now, and I also read an installation write up a while back on the internet. It looks like pretty good quality, so if you have this guard, or know somebody that does, any input is appreciated.

Also, I did a search on Google the other day and found a company out of Florida (if memory serves) called Sterling Truck Equipment, and they make a base model guard for around $650 (it looks exactly the same as the Mile Marker one), but they also allow you to customize it with more brace tubes, light bars, mesh grilles, etc, for added cost. Now, I had never heard of this company at all so, again, if anybody has any experience with their products, your input is greatly appreciated.

If I could have it my way, I would go for a Buckstop bumper (they're heavy-duty as hell and have a 2" front receiver!), but they are sooooooo expensive!

So, thanks for your help!

Regards,
Graham

·
Premium Member
20,680 Posts
The Sterling Truck Equipment winch mount does look exactly like the Mile Marker. The Mile Marker install write-up is probably mine. I'm satisfied with my winch mount. The only downside is that the grill cannot be removed with the winch mount in place. Then again, how often do you need to remove the grill? In the past 4 years there have been two times it would have been handy to get the grille out. Both times were to install or repair the connections to my KC HiLites Day Lighters.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I like mine, no complaints

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The Sterling Truck Equipment winch mount does look exactly like the Mile Marker. The Mile Marker install write-up is probably mine. I'm satisfied with my winch mount. The only downside is that the grill cannot be removed with the winch mount in place. Then again, how often do you need to remove the grill? In the past 4 years there have been two times it would have been handy to get the grille out. Both times were to install or repair the connections to my KC HiLites Day Lighters.
Actually, it's still quite easy to remove the grille... You just use a long skinny flat head screwdriver to reach down the lower screw heads and use the side edge of the blade to turn them instead of using the nose. You can also use the backside of a knife blade on them... To put it back on, just preset the clips in the grille side and just pop them back in... :D

·
Premium Member
20,680 Posts
Actually, it's still quite easy to remove the grille... You just use a long skinny flat head screwdriver to reach down the lower screw heads and use the side edge of the blade to turn them instead of using the nose. You can also use the backside of a knife blade on them... To put it back on, just preset the clips in the grille side and just pop them back in... :D
The fasteners aren't the problem. It's that the winch mount is so close to the grille that the grille cannot be pulled out. I would need to loosen the winch mount and tip it forward to provide enough room to pull out the grille. The winch mount has been installed to exacting tolerances such that I avoid touching it. Seriously, I have shims installed to get it lined up just right.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The fasteners aren't the problem. It's that the winch mount is so close to the grille that the grille cannot be pulled out. I would need to loosen the winch mount and tip it forward to provide enough room to pull out the grille. The winch mount has been installed to exacting tolerances such that I avoid touching it. Seriously, I have shims installed to get it lined up just right.
Same here... I have to lift the grille straight up to get it out. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HRTKD, yep, that is your install that I read. Nice job!

For those of you with Mile Marker winches, how do you like them? We have always had Warn winches on our ATVs, but they are so expensive! I was thinking about getting an SI12,000 Mile Marker, if I end up getting this grille guard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What about ARB? They make an astounding full bumper. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Plus I don't think it will affect your air bag sensors. I have a few friends that have them on their jeeps and they are bulletproof and very cool looking.

·
Premium Member
20,680 Posts
I have been less than impressed with my Mile Marker SI9500 winch. I've been through three winches (under warranty) and the Freespool feature hasn't worked on any of them. I've subsequently done some research and apparently this problem isn't seen on just Mile Marker. Warn has the problem too.

If you really want to go with a wicked winch get a hydraulic one. I'm not sure how they would integrate into a Titan's steering pump system but the hydraulic winches are said to be much more reliable. The down side is that they don't work when the engine is off.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have been less than impressed with my Mile Marker SI9500 winch. I've been through three winches (under warranty) and the Freespool feature hasn't worked on any of them. I've subsequently done some research and apparently this problem isn't seen on just Mile Marker. Warn has the problem too.

If you really want to go with a wicked winch get a hydraulic one. I'm not sure how they would integrate into a Titan's steering pump system but the hydraulic winches are said to be much more reliable. The down side is that they don't work when the engine is off.
Yep thats what suck about the hydraulic ones. I have sunk and filled my grizzly engine with water so many times I cant keep count anymore. I cant start the engine full of water unless I want to rebuild it. So Im not gonna take the chance with my truck either. Never know when its going to overheat in a mud hole. Other than that they are bullet proof. I have no complaints with my warn on my truck but I have only needed it about 5 times so far. More than enough to pay for itself in tow truck bills.

My free spool did lock up on the warn on my grizzly though. I just push the button to spool it out now even though that takes forever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Tights24, I'm a fan of the ARB bumpers as well. They have an awesome track record, and they look REALLY aggressive! The reason I said Buckstop earlier in this thread was just for the front receiver.

My biggest problem is that I don't use the truck often enough off road for it to pay for something like that. I always worry that I'll get something really awesome like that, then end up not using it! My original winch idea was to build a front receiver that comes out of the front of my lower transmission air intake, then slap an Aries Stainless Steel grille guard on over that (that way I could use the winch front and rear, but still have some front end protection). Plus, if I ever sell the truck (I hope I don't!), I can take the winch with me without there being an "empty space" on the front of the truck. I know that a receiver can be built for the front, I saw a post on here a while back about one just like the one I wanted to build. But, then I saw this Mile Marker thing, and it looked interesting.

@Pops, I have looked into Ramsey, Champion, Superwinch, the whole 9 yards. I get worried though when I do a search on a forum, like an FJ Cruiser thing I read a while back, describing winch failures, especially on budget winches. I have read a little on the Smittybuilt winches, anybody have experience with those? I hear they make one almost exactly like the Powerplant from Warn, only way cheeper.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions. Keep the info coming!!

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
... @Pops, I have looked into Ramsey, Champion, Superwinch, the whole 9 yards. I get worried though when I do a search on a forum, like an FJ Cruiser thing I read a while back, describing winch failures, especially on budget winches. I have read a little on the Smittybuilt winches, anybody have experience with those? I hear they make one almost exactly like the Powerplant from Warn, only way cheeper.
Just wondering because I helped install a data network for Ramsey Winch and Auto Crane back in 2000 and spent alot of time in their manufacturing plants.. Their manufacturing employees are phenominal, anything I needed for the project, they welded one together and had it to me within a few hours... All their personal trucks had Ramsey winches on them and a few of them were pretty old and still working well. They also use their winches on some of their sister company's AutoCrane Cranes... Just seemed like really good equipment to me from the few months I spent there...

·
Premium Member
20,680 Posts
My free spool did lock up on the warn on my grizzly though. I just push the button to spool it out now even though that takes forever.
This is a bad thing to do. There are brake shoes on the inside of the winch that cause the wich to hold the line when the motor isn't turning. When you use the motor to spool out the line you're burning up the shoes. Kind of like leaving the emergency brake on while you drive.

I've had my Mile Marker apart and looked at everything but the solenoid. It's a very simple design except for all those gears. The freespool mode is supposed to disengage the brake shoes. I'm still puzzled about why the disengage isn't working. Taking the gear box off just to see how things work is a messy project.

·
Premium Member
20,680 Posts
Not that I'm trying to make you guys jealous (ok, maybe I am) but as of this month I'll have a winch on the front (permanent mount) and on the back in the receiver hitch. Same model of winch front and back.

To avoid making this a useless post I'll point out that the standard steel cable you get with a winch can weigh up to 30 pounds for 100 feet. I replaced my cable with synthetic winch line that is stronger than the steel cable and way, way lighter. I haven't had to use the synthetic line much yet. One observation I made is that the synthetic lines takes up less space on the spool. I think this equates to more torque being available even if the line is not fully spooled out. In the Mile Marker owners manual it tells you the amount of torque available for each layer of cable. Only the first layer provides the full torque amount. So in my case on a 9,500 lb winch the first layer is 9,500 and the second layer is less.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HRTKD, if it's not too much trouble, can you post pics of your rear winch when you get it set up? I would like to see how the wires are set up to disconnect.

·
Premium Member
20,680 Posts
Ah, well, I didn't say I had it WORKING yet. :D The winch mount just arrived today. Unfortunately, I wasn't home when it was delivered and I'm going to have some explaining to do to my wife when I get home. I'll be sure to take pictures when I get it working.

I have the OEM big tow battery sitting in my garage that I plan to use. It will sit in the bed (somewhere) and the winch will quick connect to that (somehow). I'm still thinking on how to get power from the engine compartment to the battery in the bed. It's too bad the power outlet in the bed doesn't have a higher amp rating as I could use that to charge the battery in the bed. I may try it just to see if it blows the fuse. That would just be too convenient if it worked.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This is a bad thing to do. There are brake shoes on the inside of the winch that cause the wich to hold the line when the motor isn't turning. When you use the motor to spool out the line you're burning up the shoes. Kind of like leaving the emergency brake on while you drive.

I've had my Mile Marker apart and looked at everything but the solenoid. It's a very simple design except for all those gears. The freespool mode is supposed to disengage the brake shoes. I'm still puzzled about why the disengage isn't working. Taking the gear box off just to see how things work is a messy project.
Im really not worried about it. Ive been doing it that way for about 5 years now. Im tired of that winch anyway, its not a sealed unit and I want to upgrade to a sealed one. I get tired of taking it apart and cleaning the mud/sand out of it every 3 months. So it can burn up from all I care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts