Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if anyone has had a problem with Noticeable wind noise from their Side Mirrors. I have an 07 Titan crew cab with large mirrors and the wind noise is terrible sometimes Nissan called it normal but it only comes from the drivers side. Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can hear wind noise from the tow mirrors on my 08 but nothing really objectionable. I'm actually surprised there is not more noise. Your drivers side is louder than passenger side and that's normal? Ya, right. Test drive another truck from the dealer to compare.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 05 with out big tow mirror and it has alot of wind noise just cant pin point were its coming in from it sound louder on driver side then on the pass. side

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe they just cant perfect the big tow mirrors! I Cant hear the noise over the radio but when im not listening to anything i can almost always hear it.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It's not the most quite ride out there but I have gotten use to it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have an 07 with the big tow mirrors and can't really say I every noticed anything windows up or down, and I am usually "slightly" (in case there are any officers of the law viewing) above the speed limit. :angel:

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I definately have wind noise with the tow mirrors at highway speeds...the only thing that bothers me with it though is when I'm going so fast with my windows down, it's louder than my exhaust... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the same problem with mine, im actually trying to get some of the regular mirrors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Haven't noticed it a bit. Then again, I drive a Chevy Express with ladder racks and a desk and electronics in the back, so I am accustomed to wind noise, squeaks, rattles, and groans. Driving my Titan (08 LWB w/ Big Tow) seems almost Zen-like in comparison.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bills1974 said:
I definately have wind noise with the tow mirrors at highway speeds...the only thing that bothers me with it though is when I'm going so fast with my windows down, it's louder than my exhaust... :rolleyes:
Thats pretty bad!

·
Registered
775 Posts
You guys gotta be kidding me with this thread! Wind noise?!? Has anyone drawn the aerodynamic correlation to our trucks? A Titan traveling at 75 MPH is aerodynamically equivalent to a ballistic refrigerator, punching a hole in the atmosphere with as much efficiency in doing so as a Ford V-10 fueled with Aquanet. Let's be realistic here and accept the fact that those huge, noisy mirrors allow us to view Hemi-powered junk drivers pounding their steering wheels in disgust! Besides, if you can hear the wind buffeting past the mirrors, than your treble and mid is set incorrectly on your stereo and the volume is too low! Good day and no more speaking of this!:informati

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 09 titan crew cab with minor noise from the mirrors. VERY LOUD wind noise from something "flapping" like a fender well liner, at variable speed, dpending on headwind.Dealer looked twice so far and cant find it. It is loud enough to scare a co-worker driving next to me. Also very embarrasing

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
it does get loud, mine sound like im hitting head wind all of the time, the only solution i have is tuck them in when driving over 55 mph

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
mine are tucked in all the time.
I wonder if it is the front mudflaps?
i have no idea where urs would be coming from, try and tape some stuff up one at a time to diagnose where it is coming from and then u can fix it then when u find it

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
my truck makes aweful racket especially on bridges with a cross wind. With your hand up in the door jamb you can feel it flexing going down the road.
I stick to driving around 55-60 it helps some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to see if anyone has had a problem with Noticeable wind noise from their Side Mirrors. I have an 07 Titan crew cab with large mirrors and the wind noise is terrible sometimes Nissan called it normal but it only comes from the drivers side. Thanks
Hi I am new to the forum and I have a 2004 Titan Crew cab that has the same noise. I have also been a machinist/mechanic for over 35 years with other car manufacturers than Nissan. An just because I have most of my years experience at building and fabricating cars and motorcycles from the ground up dooenot mean I am correct on every incident on each titan. That being said and the grain of salt clause I will give this a try here.....

The first time I climbed into one and went down the Highway I was reminded of a certain Licoln Mercury I spent a long dam time on with factory reaps isolating sounds wind, road, and drietrian sounds to bring out the definition in teh premium sound system by JBL.

The main reason the crews are so loud is the whole side of the dam cab is not there! the doors MAKE UP THE SIDE and they only rely in the rubber seal which are lightly pressed against the doors at best to seal. Body are close bnut not all exact,.the same with doors and most of all the rubber weather strips can very is expansion contraction and sealing ability.
and below the exterior skins of the a, b, c pillar THERE IS A CAVITY THAT TRAPS WIND AND CAUSES IT SWIRL much like a vortax and create pressures and voids around the rubber seals. The wind noise on Crew Cabs I have been hearing in mine and a few others comes from multiple places. Has any one removed a mirror to how how much effect it has on decreasing the noise? I have focused in on what I believe to be a small but detectable percentage of cowl noise, mirror noise but most common I believe is seal , a vortex inside pannels or draq caused by mirrors.

Finding leaks, noises and stuff that makes you go HUMMMM

I used to clean the door jams and weather strips from debris and dirt if not new then use a little talcm powder on the doors the sealsto lt them slide into place under compression. I would eliminate swirling vortex or wind noise withing the body gaps and seals by taping the gaps shut with masking tapse so simple.. ,then climb throguh a door or another open window to close the glss adntest drive

climb Into a open window after sealing all the body seams gaps with tape to reduce turbulent air from entering the body gaps at highway speeds and I would also remove one component at a time ie. mirrors, antenna wiper arms, cowl off or mask, use or foils (as in small airfoils or diverter) to verify the percentage of wind noise each parts makes causing by causing drag present at various conditions.

Just a couple of things to consider when chasing the invisible noise that does actually cause driver/rider fatigue and incidentally Noise either road, drive-train or wind, is the #1 reason manufactures sell you Premium Sound systems in vehicles.

Now if you happen to have a wind tunnel in the back yard,And you bring a razor and your lunch you can .......

Manofworth

1 - 17 of 17 Posts