Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good UV Ray rated window tint? 3M is what I have been looking at but would like some thoughts from anyone who has had it done.

Also, anyone have their windshield done? Does it interfere with the defroster or anything?

Thank you for any thoughts!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live in Florida so tint's a must. I highly recommend getting the windshield tinted. 3M makes a crystiline tint with 70% that works great. It rejects just as much heat as a 20% but it doesn't limit visibility. Sort of pricey - I would just wrap the windshield with that and then get something from their lower tiers to wrap the rest of the windows. A good tint shouldn't have any issues with a defroster/heating strips.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Florida so tint's a must. I highly recommend getting the windshield tinted. 3M makes a crystiline tint with 70% that works great. It rejects just as much heat as a 20% but it doesn't limit visibility. Sort of pricey - I would just wrap the windshield with that and then get something from their lower tiers to wrap the rest of the windows. A good tint shouldn't have any issues with a defroster/heating strips.
Thanks for the input. New to the tint world due to skin issues and the need to keep the sun blocked, so this is very helpful. Thanks again!.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
If you’re looking at quality tints, look into Madico. Their Wincos line has been highly reputable for many years, at least in my area. And I second Death Star’s recommendation to have the windshield tinted. Makes a massive difference in summer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you’re looking at quality tints, look into Madico. Their Wincos line has been highly reputable for many years, at least in my area. And I second Death Star’s recommendation to have the windshield tinted. Makes a massive difference in summer.

Thanks, really appreciate the info!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hear you.

I have a friend who has owned his tint business for 15 years. They do all types of stuff....

I'd spend the money and get ceramic tint. I also 2nd the windshield tint. I got mine as 50%. You should see if any highly rated shops in your area have a car there that has the 50% on it. People worry about darkness at night but really there's no vision blocking.

But... The ceramic stuff is great at UV protection and heat rejection along with how it holds up overall.

I get the dry version of heat in Northern California but it still is miles better having all windows tinted. I just recently had to get a rental and it had zero tint and even when it was only 93 out it felt like it was 100+ and my arm was burning.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you.

I have a friend who has owned his tint business for 15 years. They do all types of stuff....

I'd spend the money and get ceramic tint. I also 2nd the windshield tint. I got mine as 50%. You should see if any highly rated shops in your area have a car there that has the 50% on it. People worry about darkness at night but really there's no vision blocking.

But... The ceramic stuff is great at UV protection and heat rejection along with how it holds up overall.

I get the dry version of heat in Northern California but it still is miles better having all windows tinted. I just recently had to get a rental and it had zero tint and even when it was only 93 out it felt like it was 100+ and my arm was burning.

Interesting on the ceramic recommendation. Any brands that stand out for ceramic. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts so far, gives me a lot to consider. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, again, most of my knowledge is in talking with him.

Most places use 3M or Llumar as the stock. It's priced lower too overall even for the higher quality series of each brand. None of it is bad... They all do ok overall.

Some speciality places and his shop prefer quality (ceramic tints that is) is the following:

1) Huper Optik
2) SunTek

Also, definitely want a skilled shop that does it a by hand. The precision cut ones... You can see the difference on the edge of the window. I can show pics later when I get home of how mine looks. Its worth the investment to get the high quality stuff and the labor worthy install imo.

Reactions: 4sarge

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Some states (like Texas) do not allow tinting the windshield with any material that lowers visibility. So although we can technically get our windshields tinted, it’s visibly clear and offers no privacy, just UV/IR rejection (which still helps)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some states (like Texas) do not allow tinting the windshield with any material that lowers visibility. So although we can technically get our windshields tinted, it’s visibly clear and offers no privacy, just UV/IR rejection (which still helps)
Option B in those kinds of states is to get the full windshield tinted + adding a dark strip at the top to make it look like that's the only tint on there.

I've used both 50% (unknown brand) and 70% (3M crystalline). With the 50% a good-eye could spot the difference, and night visibility was slightly decreased. With the 70% crystalline, it's virtually unoticed from outside and night visibility is negligibly decreased. I liked the 50% but once I went 70, that's all I use or recomend anymore.

For a front windshield, you're looking for a tint that has the highest Total Solar Reflectance (most brands give a number somewhere in their specs) AND the greatest visible light transmission (a higher xx% number: 5% = limo, 20%, 35%, ect...)

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 2006 Nissan Titan SE (sold)
79 Posts
Well, again, most of my knowledge is in talking with him.

Most places use 3M or Llumar as the stock. It's priced lower too overall even for the higher quality series of each brand. None of it is bad... They all do ok overall.

Some speciality places and his shop prefer quality (ceramic tints that is) is the following:

1) Huper Optik
2) SunTek

Also, definitely want a skilled shop that does it a by hand. The precision cut ones... You can see the difference on the edge of the window. I can show pics later when I get home of how mine looks. Its worth the investment to get the high quality stuff and the labor worthy install imo.
I was about to respond with The Ceramic Difference | Huper Optik myself. I put it on one of my vehicles, and it does a good job, but one caveat, the shop where I had it done (in Dallas) did a horrible job with it. There are lines and imperfections everywhere. I figured spending $1,200 was going to get me a great job. It did not. The only saving grace is that it does keep the heat at bay. The benefit that some people don't think of is that while you're driving, if more heat is blocked, your ac doesn't have to work harder to maintain the temps.

I've seen some Youtube videos where someone takes some 3M and Llumar and wipes away the tint with some mild chemical. Granted, Huper Optik I believe, is owned by Llumar. When you go in, ask the shop owner what their policy is on if the tint is done poorly. I left one tint shop once, and the person that applied the tint didn't clean up the doors where the water ran down the side. Ask them if you can see a customer's finished job and see their work for yourself before it's done on your vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah that sounds awful. For $1200, should be perfection. Mine was $700 which is discount of about $200 from his normal pricing. It's a bit steep, but they spend at least 5 hours in just tint application alone.

Anyways, good luck OP. I second the ceramic heat rejection and the AC keeping you cool. When it's 107 outside and I turn the AC down a bit because it's a bit too cold. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts