Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the feature of the windows going down by holding the unlock button for 3 seconds. It has happened to me 4 times, and I've only had the truck 2 weeks. Most likely from the other keys in my pocket. After talking with 2 dealerships tech's, and with Nissan, they say this cannot be disabled in the trucks "intelligent " key system. I sometimes use the lock button but never use the unlock button, so I went to somewhat drastic measures. By opening the fob as in battery replacement, and removing the unlock button, I carved down the protruding center. The part that pushes the micro switch. I also drilled a small hole in the center that something could be inserted to push the micro switch if needed.
By the way I'm a new member here. Bought the 2018 Titan after driving my Chevy Avalanche for 18 years. Still love the Avalanche, it's staying in the family, giving it to my grandson.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Good thing it wasn’t raining hard and then finding out they were open. In the old days in a Maxima the sunroof would open with the windows so if it was raining the car was drowned.
I’d think their scan tool could shut it off.
Congratulations on the truck and welcome to the forum.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I hate the feature of the windows going down by holding the unlock button for 3 seconds. It has happened to me 4 times, and I've only had the truck 2 weeks. Most likely from the other keys in my pocket. After talking with 2 dealerships tech's, and with Nissan, they say this cannot be disabled in the trucks "intelligent " key system. I sometimes use the lock button but never use the unlock button, so I went to somewhat drastic measures. By opening the fob as in battery replacement, and removing the unlock button, I carved down the protruding center. The part that pushes the micro switch. I also drilled a small hole in the center that something could be inserted to push the micro switch if needed.
By the way I'm a new member here. Bought the 2018 Titan after driving my Chevy Avalanche for 18 years. Still love the Avalanche, it's staying in the family, giving it to my grandson.
Wow that's pretty drastic. I've owned mine just over a year and I've not used this feature or had it happen by mistake. I use a carabiner to hold my keys from a belt loop, and once I get home they go on a hook.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I've owned my 08 since November of 2007 & never once have accidentally rolled down the windows. Not sure how your are accomplishing to do that...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I've had the fob get activated in my pocket a few times and roll the windows down. And I'm just a regular guy wearing Wranglers, not some goofy skinny jeans! Supposedly the dealership can deactivate this feature with the Consult III, but my dealer charges for a lot of stuff, so I'm not testing that theory. I just keep an eye on my windows.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Kind of sucks I can’t roll them back up with the lock button though.
Yeah that is annoying, you have to put some shoes on go out, start it up and roll them up. It is a cool feature for letting out the hot summer air before you get in though. But I'm sure most of you just remote start and left the AC fight the hot air and let the truck idle too long, also fighting the heat.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
My guess is too much liability if the windows could go up while not being monitored. This feature should be defeat able in the dash menu.

Clint

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've never had that problem but a couple of times my keys on my key-ring "conveniently" pushed hard against the panic button... just from walking with them in my front pocket. After the second time I decided I didn't need that many keys on me =P

·
Registered
19 Posts
My second day with my XD Pro 4x I found this out. In the rain. Overnight. (My truck now has to sleep outside since it's too big for my garage)Spent the entire next day at work drying out the interior. Luckily I think I got it all dried out sufficiently so no mold risks are present. I looked into this big after that incident. It cannot be disabled via consult. Dealership looked into it and that feature can be disabled on other Nissan's of late models years such as the rogue Maxima etc, but the feature can't be deactivated on Titans or the XD for some reason via the same menu as all the other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I was never informed about that option, if I got soaked like you did and got any mold I’d publicly shame and sue Nissan to recover any costs incurred. It’s an absolutely unnecessary feature. I’ve had to get up and go out to check my truck multiple times, I should never have to.

Clint

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a great feature I use nearly every hot sunny summer day, even before I use remote start (I use it to allow the hot air to escape a few min before I remote start the truck on the walk outside the office in the afternoon). I know this feature has been around since at least the early 2000s, and I have used it since my parents bought their 2005 Maxima. I have never accidentally had the windows open in the past 15 yrs with 6 different Nissans equipped with this feature (1 with the older style key fob, and 5 with the current key fob style). The current Nissan key fob style takes a fairly deliberate button push to get any a response.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's probably a really good thing that you disabled the unlock key. If you auto-dropped the windows 4 times (which takes a press, then a press+hold from fully locked) then imagine how many time you've just unlocked the car without knowing it (just takes one or two short presses)! Might be worth considering not carrying your keys in your pocket I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
It's probably a really good thing that you disabled the unlock key. If you auto-dropped the windows 4 times (which takes a press, then a press+hold from fully locked) then imagine how many time you've just unlocked the car without knowing it (just takes one or two short presses)! Might be worth considering not carrying your keys in your pocket I guess.
If you unlock the doors but do not open any door, the truck will relock itself in I believe 30 seconds so it can’t be inadvertently left unlocked.

Clint

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
This is definitely a skinny jeans problem. I've never accidentally rolled down the windows on my 2004 or my 2018 when the key fob is in my pocket.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed. Never had an issue with this with my truck, my '02 maxima, my '15 BMW 335i, my brother's '16 altima, or my mom's '13 altima. I use the feature often, but have never had any issues with buttons pressing in my pocket. Perhaps looser pants? :) The larger issue is that you're unlocking your truck. Make sure that the auto-relock feature is on so the doors re-lock if they're not opened within 45 seconds of hitting the unlock button (in the gauge cluster menu).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts