Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering, when u first install windows xp pro... u have an admin account... can u use that account forever and not set up like a regular admin account with ur name so u dont have to go to a welcome screen and stuff?

ALSO, lets say I make another admin account, is there a way to transfer the info and settings from the first admin aco**** to the new admin "john doe" account... Lets say I use outlook express and microsoft outlook can I transfer that stuff easily to the newly made account? Also the icons and shortcuts on the desktop can I moe those easily to the new account... IF I can use the default admin account forever with no probs well thats better but if not can anyone answer my question... Id like to know either way...

Anyone know how to export like the calendar and stuff fro outlook? Lets say I wanna throw it on another computer can I?? I managed to export the address book and then imported it but I couldnt and didnt know how or if it was possible for the caledar and other stuff... How bout with the mail too, anyway?

A FEW MORE questions... Anyone use microsoft small business acounting? How can u move all the files and setting to another computer from this software? I tried doing a backup but it says error and wont let me... so am I $crewed?? Also, with Peachtree how can I back that stuff up to move it over to another computer...

My last questions are about new Hard Drives... Lets say my old drive has some problems in the OS and I cant fix em... BUT it still lets me boot and such... I wanna get a new drive and just reinstall the OS... well I know I can back up all the like files... excels, word docs etc etc but what about programs?? Is there a way around having to reinstall EACH program over again??

Thanks for any help.!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Im wondering, when u first install windows xp pro... u have an admin account... can u use that account forever and not set up like a regular admin account with ur name so u dont have to go to a welcome screen and stuff?
You can, but it is advisable not to do so. Set up an account with limited rights and use the admin account to add programs and other administrative items. This way you protect yourself from some viruses that run when user has admin rights to the PC.
ALSO, lets say I make another admin account, is there a way to transfer the info and settings from the first admin aco**** to the new admin "john doe" account...
Yes, you can copy a profile to another profile. Right click "My Computer>Properties. Under the "System Properties" window, select the "Advanced Tab" and then click the button associated with user profiles. One trick is to copy a profile to the "default user" profile in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User. Do not do this with the admin account as all admin rights will be copied over into this profile. The default user profile is the "model" that is used to create a users profile when they first logon.
Lets say I use outlook express and microsoft outlook can I transfer that stuff easily to the newly made account?
Export the mailbox into a backup.pst file, then import the file into the new application.
Also the icons and shortcuts on the desktop can I moe those easily to the new account...
Yes, this can be accomplished through the user profile tool mentioned above.
Anyone know how to export like the calendar and stuff fro outlook?
Go to File>Import and Export. Select "Export to a File" then click next. Select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" and click next. Highlight the calendar folder and click next. Note the path for the file or change the path to make finding it easier and change the name of the backup.pst file to 2007-04-29_backup.pst so that you have a date reference. The click finish. When you open Outlook with a different logon, you will go to File>Import and Export. Selct "Import from another program or file and click next. Scroll the list for "Personal Folder File (.pst) and click next. Browse to the backup file that you created and click next. Answer any options and complete the import. Email is handled in the same manner.

The easiest way is when making the backup, instead of selecting a particular folder such as calendar, inbox, etc. highlight "personal folders" if a POP mailbox configuration or if on an Exchange Server, highlight the mailbox root folder.
A FEW MORE questions... Anyone use microsoft small business acounting? How can u move all the files and setting to another computer from this software? I tried doing a backup but it says error and wont let me... so am I $crewed?? Also, with Peachtree how can I back that stuff up to move it over to another computer...
Sorry, can't help you here.

My last questions are about new Hard Drives... Lets say my old drive has some problems in the OS and I cant fix em... BUT it still lets me boot and such... I wanna get a new drive and just reinstall the OS... well I know I can back up all the like files... excels, word docs etc etc but what about programs?? Is there a way around having to reinstall EACH program over again??
Nope, you will have to reinstall. If you used an imaging application such as Symantec Ghost, you will be making an exact copy of your old hard drive. If the old drive has problems, then the problems are duplicated. If you do ever use Ghost, it is recommended that you run Error Checking and Defrag before creating an image.

·
Registered
15 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
Alright, solved all the backup issues and how to transfer the files from one comp to another so they work... thanks again musky
You can either burn a cd or if both computers are hooked up through a hub/switch, you can directly transfer files as well.

Another option is to either email them to yourself and download it on the second pc.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Alright, solved all the backup issues and how to transfer the files from one comp to another so they work... thanks again musky
No problem. Glad it worked out okay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, you can just use the original admin account. As far as saving the programs off your hard drive, I don't know of any way to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts