Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needless to say, I am thankful this weather is clearing up, been miserable with the icey roads, but I am definitely thankful to be driving in my Nissan Titan, its handled very well in these nasty conditions. yesterday I got to tow out a Toyota highlander stuck on a hill, and today there was a F-150 stuck in the ditch, the titan pulled him out with such ease, as the guy in the dodge next to me said... "damn you dragged dat sum-a-***** all through the ditch sideways right on to the road." As soon as that titan caught traction it was game over. So at least I got to have some fun this weekend :redblob"

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the pullouts, what did you use? A strap and the front tow hooks?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I had a 25 foot tow strap in my tool box luckily, I had chains but they were to short for the distance the vehicle was sitting at, well for both times the only thing that was visible was was the rear tow hooks on the car. No I used my trailer hitch and hooked my tow strap up to it. Not exactly sure if you wanna tow with your front tow hooks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yep, roads were pretty bad here in Tyler the first day after the snow. Not as bad as Dallas has had it, but bad for this area anyway. The night it snowed I was at work, and got off around 1 AM. Two poor cars were trying as hard as they good to get up this hill outside the workplace. I stayed at the bottom until they both finally slid into an adjacent parking lot unintentionally. I yelled up at them if they needed help, they both said nah, they had friends on the way. I think they thought the T had no chance. I said ok, put the truck in 4x4 and went right up the hill and all the 12 miles home without slipping once (except for this one time when I tried to get the rear end to slip). Didn't see anyone stuck that I could help, but I was on the way home late at night, and only a couple of hours after the snow started. The next day there were people stuck all over the place.

As for towing people out, I wouldn't use the front recovery hooks. They are only for others to use to get you out from being stuck, not to unstick others.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pulling in reverse has grenaded a few front diffs on 4x4 Titans. A D ring receiver shackle in a rear hitch receiver would be a better way to go.
I made this on a CNC mill this week at work. Can't think of anything stronger to jerk someone out with. Its a 2'' peice of solid 420 stainless square stock with 2 holes drilled in it and the tip milled down to accept the shackle I bought at tractor supply welded the pin on the shackle so somone won't steal it and locked in the hitch lol. Figured I'd let it hang all winter and take it off in the summer.

What you guys think? Got the idea looking on recovery items on ebay but didnt like them as good as I knew I could make one.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Its been 74* and sunny here almost all winter besides a few cold snaps.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I made this on a CNC mill this week at work. Can't think of anything stronger to jerk someone out with. Its a 2'' peice of solid 420 stainless square stock with 2 holes drilled in it and the tip milled down to accept the shackle I bought at tractor supply welded the pin on the shackle so somone won't steal it and locked in the hitch lol. Figured I'd let it hang all winter and take it off in the summer.

What you guys think? Got the idea looking on recovery items on ebay but didnt like them as good as I knew I could make one.
OH, I'm sorry did I hear you say you wanted to make me one of those??? :)

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
OH, I'm sorry did I hear you say you wanted to make me one of those??? :)
Any 4x shop or online retailers carry those just not that nice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
lol I think I only got 13 bucks in the hook but hard to find 2'' square stock in the scrap bin. Wrote and run the program on a lunch break at work. Would be expensive to ship them even if you had a way to make alot of them I bet the thing is 30 pounds lol its like holding 2-3 recievers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
lol, didn't you guys only get a few inches of snow? :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had to pull my buddy out of a ditch last week. He has a Dodge Magnum and was really in there. I have a 20' tow strap. We just went trailer hithc to trailer hitch. I put my T in 4wd Low and she pulled him out with little to no effort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts