Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I am wondering whats next .
I have seen 1 titan online with a successful turbo setup. I am interested in this alot!
That being said. Where and what cams? springs?
Is it worth pulling the heads and porting them?
Old school builders used to shave 10% of the lower bearing ends to an angle for less resistance. Is this worth it?
Any info on boring and different pistons?

I know this is a Chuck Norris Beard Punch :) But All my past cars were 4 cylinders and I went all the way. I am ready to go all the way with this one even If I have to live in a tent to do so :)
Im a blistering 41 now and tired of the chevy kids :)

Registered
Stick with cams. Our Titan's don't take well to boost.

Reactions: nightowl

Registered
jessel, contact cory > jaunty bishop here on the forum and spare yourself all the forum aggravation...
tell him PR sent ya! lol...

the usual mods, headers, cat back, CAI UPrev will wake up your truck.
level 10 trans
better rear/diff set up.
depending on what yr you have, better brakes.

can`t really expect to much pushing 5000 lbs around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Pale, Thanks , I have seen in a mystery overseas people pushing upwards of 700 hp. thats a stock Block. Bender, Superchargers are like hot candy and the titty still works. Turbo boost is so much cooler (in Temp and coolness) . Now granted there has been sloppy builds attempting to turbo (I say sloppy in the utmost respect haha) . But really, it is beyond boltons to make this work. I know that. The tuner I have learned is so limited now.
I may be coming in late in modding. But u know what they say? I have no clue :) :)

Vendor
Turbos have been done before on the Titan the issue is transmission holding up. You need to research the forum for "Tomanymods" as he never could get his right and ended up selling the truck after years of modded and trail and error. This guy was sharp not just some kid that didnt know what he was doing. In fact if I remember right he ended up with a turbo 400 or 4l80E Chevy tranny in the Titan. As with the Stillen Supercharger the pistons/bearings of the Titan motor need upgrading to run safely and then there's all the tuning issues to get it right. Cams are the better more reliable option on our trucks. No offense PR.

Registered
Turbos have been done before on the Titan the issue is transmission holding up. You need to research the forum for "Tomanymods" as he never could get his right and ended up selling the truck after years of modded and trail and error. This guy was sharp not just some kid that didnt know what he was doing. In fact if I remember right he ended up with a turbo 400 or 4l80E Chevy tranny in the Titan. As with the Stillen Supercharger the pistons/bearings of the Titan motor need upgrading to run safely and then there's all the tuning issues to get it right. Cams are the better more reliable option on our trucks. No offense PR.

no worries Jeff, non taken.:wink:
yeah I def missed the good years of this forum. I def recommend a person with knowledge install any power adder. Huge issue with the stillen was the old style kits and piggy back, but moreso with poor engines and bad installations caused the owners grief. The tuner kit leaves it all up to the installer/tuner/owner point blank. Requiring the owner to purchase the necc additional items ie: fuel pump, injectors, UPrev tune, a competent shop to tune the truck, supporting mods, and a whole crap load of misc items.
You def need the skill set and support and someone who can tune the truck properly. This is not done in just one wave of the wand. It def takes some effort to get everyone on board until satisfaction is obtained.

ok, Im rambling, need coffee, where`s dreep??? lol

Registered
Drinking my coffee...

Reactions: Pale Rider

Premium Member
You're going to need to be adamant and have a sufficient budget to do any of this stuff to the titan, whether its natural aspiration, turbo or even supercharged setup especially if you have to have a shop do it all for you.

The VK56 likes boost just fine, the engine will support 500rwhp or more easily on stock internals. The problem is the transmission, however there are solutions for that such as LEVEL 10 build.

I agree with the cams and bolt ons route, then add some nitrous... Just had a 4x4 titan run a 12.28 on bolt ons, cams and nitrous. Truck has over 145k miles on it as well. Daily driven.

Cams are $1170 from JWT, if you're 04-06 they come in S2/S2 or S7/S2 (preferred) packages. And 07+ comes in CS2.

Someone will probably tell you that you can get other grinds etc.. sure but you need to speak to JWT before doing so.

You can't shave or deck the heads past like 4 thousandths on the VK56 or most any DOHC engine without throwing the timing geometry off, that is no bueno. Nissan has a max allowable limit.

If you're wanting to change compression whether static or dynamic, you will with camshafts and also changing pistons, but now you're into a bottom end build.

I'd just go with what works as listed above in the camshaft profiles.

I'll be finalized with my 1-3/4 x 3'' header install here in the next 2 weeks, but these are custom/modified. However, you can always go with JBA 6400S or whichever since anything is better than factory exhaust manifolds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again! I want to go step by step. I will be adding / teardown/ assemble myself. I am a mechanic of 22 years now (I think, lol getting old) . Anyway , I have a open door at the shop I manage. Other than the machine work, I would be doing it all in house.
so cams would be the start. I would probably tear the heads off at that point and go ahead and have a port job done. Come back to the block later If I still got steam to do so :)

As far as transmission builds for this truck, that is murky water as I am a engine guy. What is done on this Level 10 thing?

thanks!

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I did. 3800 for good to 700 HP with shift reaction is actually not bad at all. Includes pickup. After I get over this LS7 TB hiccup issue and can move on to bigger and better things. That will def be a 2017 goal ( Just hope they dont stop one month before I am ready like uprev did with the TB code delete :( )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts