Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so at 38,568 miles i took my truck to the dealer to have them check out the blown out radiator on my truck. i didn't even know i had a problem with my radiator until i did the oil change on my truck and saw all the old crusty coolant on the bottom of it. upon closer inspection i found the lower tank blew out at the seam. the service department was friendly and tried to get the repair covered under "goodwill" (hahahahahahah) and the service manager was trying "all he could do" to get me some help. i work at a dealership and when we want to goodwill repair something the service manager gives the yes or no, but not at nissan. the part number and labor operation number has to be run through nissans goodwill computer program and it spits out a yes or no. so after i got turned down i decided to call nissan corporate and ask them what they thought of their radiator blowing out and puking coolant on a 2006 truck with 38k on it. the first woman i talked to was very understanding too bad she was a secretary. anyways, after getting the run around for a week and all the "yeah we will be calling you back today with an answer" the best they came up with was "well what we are willing to do is split the cost of the repair with you".... which would have came to $350 on my end. me being a technician i opted to go with an aftermarket radiator for 180 bucks and install it myself.

just one more reason why i won't be buying another nissan.

i do like my truck though and im glad it's paid off. i just wish nissan cared a little more about customer satisfaction than the ol mighty dollar. kind of sad that an american car company that is in the middle of a buy-out can afford to and are very willing to take care of their customers in the best way possible.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but your warranty was out, and they did offer up 50%. Not really a bad deal. Any vehicle, sooner or later runs out of warranty, and things happen. I understand your frustration, but you are right they are in business to make money!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chrysler and other american car companies struggle because they're offering warranties and services that are too expensive for their cheap cars to keep up with. Chrysler IS bought out probably because they do cover stuff like this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
OMNIHUGE said:
Chrysler and other american car companies struggle because they're offering warranties and services that are too expensive for their cheap cars to keep up with. Chrysler IS bought out probably because they do cover stuff like this.
I have a 2001 minivan bought from chysler with extended warranty 7yr 70k miles. When that things go, I found out that the warranty is useless w/facotory or not on a few repairs. At 45k miles, my struts bearing were going. At first to get me signed up for repairs, they stated it would be covered. After repairs were done, only the POS bolts were covered but the bearing aren't. They base their warranty on itemized parts. i.e. bolts, nuts, but not the main unit. Either way, it depends on dealership import or domoestic will be base on the individual business practice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Isn't it odd that a radiator isn't covered under the extended powertrain warranty? The power train won't operate for long without a radiator.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
Isn't it odd that a radiator isn't covered under the extended powertrain warranty? The power train won't operate for long without a radiator.
That's funny because that is exactly how I think. ANYTHING that will inhibit the ability of the vehicle to operate in 2WD and 4WD (if equipped) for an extended period of time (100 miles) should be covered.

This would eliminate the things like ALL interior items, Heat/AC, bells and whistle type of items.

Pretty much all items that a Model T Ford had on it should be covered (the meat and potatoes)....wheels, brakes, universals, cv's, driveshafts, gearboxes, transmissions, steering components, alternator, radiator, engine, MAF sensor's, suspension components, electrical system, etc... That includes all bolts, nuts, fasteners of any type as well.

Just my three cents (adjusted for inflation)

·
Registered
908 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
You logic is 100% spot on but radiator is not powertrain, thats how it is.

As for the Nissan radiator crapping out after 38.5k miles that is just bad luck but not catostropic. They did offer you 50% though so that is not bad. Think of it this way, I paid $1250 for my 100k mile warranty so however much you paid for the radiator you are still ahead of me. :cheers:

If your truck is problem free for the next 80k miles and a busted radiator is the only thing wrong after 120k miles is not bad and you will be way ahead of the curve :cheers:

Now if your truck keeps on breaking then you should get rid and never buy Nissan again. :crying:

·
Registered
558 Posts
My radiator just went out at 50,000...this is something that SHOULD NOT happen...especialy at 38K. They SHOULD of warrantied it. Radiators should last alot longer than that...and nissan being a quality car maker for so long should know that and maybe look into the design to see its flaws. The dealer will do nothing to help in these cases unless you know someone or they are just that cool but most of them are idiots and are not cool.

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
Every vehicle manufacturer makes a few bad eggs. Who's to say you won't end up in the same boat with another truck. It sucks, at least nissan is offering 50%. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
483 Posts
in my experience with Nissan dealerships some have been very accommadating and some just don't give a rats a$$ . I tend to stick with the former, over all the good dealerships are the exception not the norm. At least you have the skills to work on your truck if need be, I'm not that skillfull.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Sucks about the radiator. But as said above your out of warranty. The aftermarket radiator will probably last for the life of the truck anyways. $180 isnt so bad if you think of it like a mod, that would be a really cheap mod. (Just trying to look at the bright side.)

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
SLOW_V said:
I have a 2001 minivan bought from chysler with extended warranty 7yr 70k miles. When that things go, I found out that the warranty is useless w/facotory or not on a few repairs. At 45k miles, my struts bearing were going. At first to get me signed up for repairs, they stated it would be covered. After repairs were done, only the POS bolts were covered but the bearing aren't. They base their warranty on itemized parts. i.e. bolts, nuts, but not the main unit. Either way, it depends on dealership import or domoestic will be base on the individual business practice.
"Struts bearing"? :confused: Did they also try to make you pay for a muffler bearing change ?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think Nissan did the right thing. Sorry to say. The radiator is probably made by another company and sold to nissan to put on there vehicle. Why should Nissan spend money on a radiator they didn't make just installed. I wouln't get bent out of shape about it. It would be like getting a flat tire and and calling Nissan to get you another tire. Would you ask Nissan to pay for another one or split the difference. Probably not. Like someone else said, aftermarket is probably an upgrade. Good luck!

·
Registered
691 Posts
just like people have stated

it is out of warranty

end of story.

but on another note (and i know it is a pain...)

just fix it yourself and be glad your not some helpless person why cant even find the oil dip stick

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
"Struts bearing"? :confused: Did they also try to make you pay for a muffler bearing change ?
It is a real part. Also called a strut cap bearing. They are in the front strut towers and the strut bolts through them. Common on FWD cars.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
my radiator went out at 15k !!! took it in for oil change and they kept it overnight, i thought they broke it but i didnt care.. oil change and radiator was on their dime

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
had my radiator replaced at 22k. noticed mr crusty during an oil change.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
jbglenn said:
I think Nissan did the right thing. Sorry to say. The radiator is probably made by another company and sold to nissan to put on there vehicle. Why should Nissan spend money on a radiator they didn't make just installed. I wouln't get bent out of shape about it. It would be like getting a flat tire and and calling Nissan to get you another tire. Would you ask Nissan to pay for another one or split the difference. Probably not. Like someone else said, aftermarket is probably an upgrade. Good luck!
Nissan decided that the radiator was out of warranty, was that the right thing to do? That is debatable.
The fact the radiator may have been made by someone else is irrelevant IMO. I bet a majority of the parts on any vehicle (not just Nissan), are made by someone else, does that mean Nissan should not cover those parts under warranty? I would hope not. A lot of people would be unhappy if the Dana Diff. were not covered or the Bosch brakes or the Panasonic/Clarion stereo, the list goes on and on. Any auto company should warranty the parts they choose to put on a vehicle they assemble.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh, great just another problem I can look forward to with this POS. Sounds like the radiators are about as reliable as the rear diffs and brakes. My experience with Nissan has been horrendous. Larry Miller Nissan here in Denver is a joke and they know NOTHING about trucks. New service manager every time I go in for an oil change.
Dealing with Nissan consumer affairs might as well be like trying to get something done with the federal government. This is my second time trying to get them to buy my Titan back but I have 39k and I know they will screw me. Please GM get the six speeds in your trucks so I can unload this poor excuse for a vehicle! Japanese "quality" a myth of the car mags? I think so.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts