Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm looking into buying an '04 Titan (2WD) with 138k miles on it, but I've heard of numerous issues that have plagued this year of the Titan. Due to monetary issues (it's my first car after all) I can't really afford anything newer than an '05 but I love the look of the Titan as well as it's capabilities.

Are my fears warranted or are these issues fairly rare and the audible few make it a bigger issue than the silent majority?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Yeah, you can easily be looking at new shocks, brakes, rear axle seals, maybe a new rear axle (or rebuild it, possibly with a TruTrac), maybe a radiator, replacing a couple of cracked exhaust manifolds w/ integrated cats (headers/B-pipes/Uprev), a power steering hose, transmission mount. The front diffs sucked in 2004, but you wouldn't have that problem with a 2wd. If you have a dealer do any of that, it will be expensive. If you know a good reasonable mechanic or can DIY, it would be better. I would recommend getting it inspected by a good mechanic, unless you feel comfortable doing that yourself. The engine and transmission does seem to hold up pretty well, as long as it is not abused, and as long as the factory cats don't fail, causing grit to be backsucked into the engine. Depending on location, the exhaust might be rusted out.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
It all depends on what was already done to that Titan. Get the VIN# and call a Nissan dealer, and they might read the history to you over the phone. If all the recalls and a few TSBs were taken care of, it might good for another few years. Of course, price is important with that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
What is your price limit?? If you don't mind me asking... I've see lots of people selling titans with high miles for wayyy to much!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, you can easily be looking at new shocks, brakes, rear axle seals, maybe a new rear axle (or rebuild it, possibly with a TruTrac), maybe a radiator, replacing a couple of cracked exhaust manifolds w/ integrated cats (headers/B-pipes/Uprev), a power steering hose, transmission mount. The front diffs sucked in 2004, but you wouldn't have that problem with a 2wd. If you have a dealer do any of that, it will be expensive. If you know a good reasonable mechanic or can DIY, it would be better. I would recommend getting it inspected by a good mechanic, unless you feel comfortable doing that yourself. The engine and transmission does seem to hold up pretty well, as long as it is not abused, and as long as the factory cats don't fail, causing grit to be backsucked into the engine. Depending on location, the exhaust might be rusted out.
Nice way to make him go cry in the corner lol, jk of coarse.
My advice would be, dont rush into anything. Check back here for questions, and read some of the older threads, I was lurking on here for about 3 months before I made my purchase.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice way to make him go cry in the corner lol, jk of coarse.
My advice would be, dont rush into anything. Check back here for questions, and read some of the older threads, I was lurking on here for about 3 months before I made my purchase.

Your sig animation cracks me up everytime i see one of your post... lol.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have an 04' with 215,000 miles on it. So far I've had to replace the rear axle seals, replace cracked manifolds with headers, replace cats, replace o2 sensor, replace power steering hose, replace ECU, replaced oil pressure switch and replace the front brake pads/rotors. With all that being said, I do have 215K on my Titan so I am actually very pleased with how well it has held up. I do a lot of my work myself so that has saved me a lot of money over the years.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Hey all,
I'm looking into buying an '04 Titan (2WD) with 138k miles on it, but I've heard of numerous issues that have plagued this year of the Titan. Due to monetary issues (it's my first car after all) I can't really afford anything newer than an '05 but I love the look of the Titan as well as it's capabilities.

Are my fears warranted or are these issues fairly rare and the audible few make it a bigger issue than the silent majority?
I'm worried about you buying a Titan too...

IF you don't have a maintenance budget set aside for any car, you're asking for trouble and disappointment. I include a gas budget, fluid changes, tires, etc.

Every vehicle has recalls and technical service bulletins on them. The Titan is no exception.

I have an '04 and bought it knowing very well that there would be growing pains associated with its design.

A new head unit because of Radio fade.
New axle seals because they leaked-production design flaw IMO.
New rear differential cover because it could overheat.
New IPDM because the relay burned out.
Replaced rotors to eliminate brake judder.
Replaced MAF sensor.

Any used vehicle you buy should be thoroughly inspected by an independent shop.

Ask them to check the known issues.

Just want to make sure you pick a vehicle you can afford; not necessarily one you want because it's cool. Otherwise, in two months, we'll see a post about how a new owner is complaining about gas mileage, or some repair work not specific to the Titan but due to lack of observation or previous maintenance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
IF you don't have a maintenance budget set aside for any car, you're asking for trouble and disappointment.
:imwithstu

I bought my 05 Titan in 2006. In the 4 years I've owned it, I have spent around $3k in repair.

The Titan is a good truck, but reliability is not a strong point of the early models.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"reliability" can be a very subjective thing. I have spoken to many Toyota Tacoma owners with very high milage trucks who say "yea I got 200,000 miles and never a tap turned on my truck!", but you keep talking to them and they admit "well I did rebuild the transmission" "well I did replace the starter and alternator" "well I did...". I bring Tacos up cause they have a bullitproof reputation whether real or perceived. If its made by men (even Japanese men) it will break down and need repair.

I have an 04 T with 142,000 miles and have had to do none of the mentioned fixes, however, I have only owned it for 8 mos so much of these repairs have posssibly already been performed by previous owners. Mine might die tomorrow but these "horrible early reliability" problems seem minor to me when compared to various other vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an 04 titan se last month with 120k for 17kusd i repaired the radiator and did some electrical work didnt notice anything else wrong as yet.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I bought an 04 titan se last month with 120k for 17kusd i repaired the radiator and did some electrical work didnt notice anything else wrong as yet.
17k?

i bought my 07 SE with 46k miles for 14k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts