Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is a story all about how my truck got flip turned....ok enough fresh prince.

so I should have listened to everyone who said to "not do headers" but im mechanically inclined (first year automotive), and decided to tackle this project myself (bad idea)

step one remove everything to get at the old exhaust manifolds, that went easy...sprayed nuts and broke all manifold nuts loose, was all good. only a few scraped forearms and knuckles.

next came backing off the engine mounts......first one broke free and i smashed my top lip.....big fat lip, not fun
second one broke free i smashed my temple into my fender and almost gave myself a concussion my wife was ready to call 911 i was shaking so bad after (a week later i still have problems opening my jaw)

ok so now I figure, its all clear sailing, you know take off the old ones put new on and boom!
wrong! studs backed out on 3 of them....not to bad a problem just had to put them back in all was good minor setback, so now all good to go?

wrong again, JBA header flange didn't quite line up and had to drill holes slightly larger, not to bad, got them all finger tight with the nuts on and all is going well

AND AGAIN!! my truck decides to piss me off, as i get to the last nut......it just keeps spinning.....and spinning....and pop out comes the stud and all the threads with it....

at this point I'm pretty sure I died a little on the inside, said a few choice words, along with creating a few new ones.

so its now saturday evening.....all parts places are closed where i could get a helicoil.....AND I HAD TO TAKE THAT STUPID HEADER OUT AGAIN!!!!
luckily I was able to get it all done and helicoil installed without any problems after....

I am NOT looking foreward to checking the nuts in a few miles

BUT, on a plus note
Joe (seymore4) you are amazing! best and fastest service ive ever encountered, 150% lived up to his reputation....TBH i had doubts hearing all the good stuff about him, and that someone cant possibly be this good to everyone......I was WRONG!....and my truck has never been running better, this guy really knows what he is doing inside the computer of our trucks
thanks again!

sorry for the long post

some advice for future people wanting to do this......
---------------GET SOMEONE ELSE TO INSTALL HEADERS!!!!-----------

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
When you check the nuts you don't have to do anything if you left the wheel well liners off. Only 1 nut on each side can't be reached by a universal joint+14mm socket. For that one just use a 14mm wrench.

It may take some reaching, but you can get all of them without lifting the engine again if you're just checking tightness.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you check the nuts you don't have to do anything if you left the wheel well liners off. Only 1 nut on each side can't be reached by a universal joint+14mm socket. For that one just use a 14mm wrench.

It may take some reaching, but you can get all of them without lifting the engine again if you're just checking tightness.
yeah liners are all off still.....just not looking forward to it due to the fact that the one stud stripped out of the head (don't want it to happen again) so im more scared of checking more than the actual hassle of it

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I hear ya. When I did mine I never would have attempted it without help as this is my daily driver. I made my brother drive 2.5 hours from Nashville and stay for the weekend so we could get it done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm , did mine a couple months ago .. all was fine , took about 4 hours .. just me doing it .... yea not the easiest job ever , but very far from hard compared to some of the jobs I get to do ( try doing turbo replacement on a Z32 300Z without pulling the engine ) ..... I guess having a hoist, all the right tools and my 25+ years wrenching helps ...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah on older titans the header install can test your manhood. I had one of the easiest nuts to get to round off, I had to cut it up with a dremmel and chisel it off. Then my motor mounts were to close for my liking so I had to jack the motor back up, pull both headers off and grind down the motor mounts. Also had to take the tips off of most of the studs on the passenger side just to get the header to slide in there. Then went to tune the truck and had a dead o2 sensor. I can't wait to get an armada for the wife and do it all over again lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just did the same project over the holiday weekend. Coming out " the part, I thought would be the toughest" was real easy for me. Putting the new jba lts in was a lot harder than I thought it would be. It was because when I bought oem gaskets I should have bought new studs and nuts.

Reactions: Windsor396

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
:cheers:Glad you got it done ,,hope you used OEM gaskets:rockon

·
Registered
15 Posts
So OEM gaskets work great for this install? That was a piece of info I needed.. Thanks

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
So OEM gaskets work great for this install? That was a piece of info I needed.. Thanks
I would only use a set of new oem gaskets. Paper gaskets burn up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts