Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Long time reader, 2nd post but new profile :(
Anyways, so I just did an engine swap on my 05 Titan 4X4. The truck as 150xxx miles with an engine that has 200xxx. It was the only engine I could afford. But I was able to do the swap with no problems, got the new engine in and after replacing a few sensors. She fired right up and is more or less, running like a champ.
I have 2 major problems with her.
#1) when I'm stopped at a red light. The rpms will drop down to 200-300 rmps Hoover for a moment and jump back up, it will happen once in about a 5 minute span. Replaced the MAF sensor and still doing it.
#2) every time I go WOT. Or even when I jump the rpms to fast, the engine kills itself. I have to throw it in neutral to fire her back up and start going again.
I'm thinking it might be the throttle body. I have an extra one from the other engine that ill be cleaning and replacing with to see if that helps. I tried to reset the ECU, the throttle/petal position and almost every rest I could find related to it. I swapped out the ECU reply with the fog lights and nothing I seem to do works.
I'm not very heavy footed but there are hills here in my part of Texas and I need to be able to come them without any problems.

Side note: I noticed my transmission guilds were kind of high, do I need to drain it some?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no codes. I had some but there were all repeats from when I did the engine swap so I had them erased.
I found the throttle body at the local autozone for 130 or only for 80...Ill switch the throttle body out with the one I have as a spare and see if that helps and if not, maybe order a new one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just a thought, with vehicles nowadays and all the spaghetti of wires they have, would the ecu need to be flashed? OR did you have a flex fuel motor put in when yours wasnt originally flex fuel or vice versa.

on my first titan the motor went, and it needed to be "flashed" by the nissan dealer......i said go for it because it was a warentee but took them 3 months start to finish to do that motor

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. It's not flex fuel. I was wanting to switch it to flex fuel but I couldn't find any information on doing the switch from standard to flex. And the info I did find was little and didn't go very deep into it.
As for having the IPDM flashed...it took the dealer 3 months??
I'll search for some info on flashing it when I'm off work. But thanks for the advice. I'll look into it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called the stealership about flashing the ECU. They want 150. That's insane. Is it not something I can do myself?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, driving down the highway going to work and the CEL came on, and so did the slip light.
Any idea??

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Is this the truck that went mudding?
Clean the connector under the RH side fender splash panel.
Down low. Sort of under the passengers feet/behind the tire.
When that plug gets wet/dirty all kinds of weird stuff happens to a Titan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I'm never taking the truck mudding before I took to AutoZone and have them read the check engine light and they told me it was a camshaft sensor so I thought that 30 bucks I'm going to get it switched out after work and I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news!! I got the idling problem fixed. Seems when I was hooking up the engine I put some vacuum lines in the wrong spot.
However, the WOT still kills the engine and causes a backfire, or even hard acceleration.
I read on another form that the knock sensors could be causing this. I have extras from the blown motor, think it could help??

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!!

Also, I changed the throttle body, still no luck. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts