Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this might be a silly question..

I have a friend of mine who swears up and down that if we both hooked up our trucks, he'd basically "tow me all over town".

As for trucks, I have a 06' SE CC. With a CAI and, Magnaflow exhaust.

He has a stock '10 Dodge 1500 CC RAM with a HEMI.

His argument is that my Titan has 317hp with 385 lb ft torque, and his RAM is 390hp with 407 lb ft torque.

He says that even with my slight mods, I'd have no chance because he'd out power me.

Again, silly question.. but should I give up? Or would I really out power him?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
these prove absolutely nothing...its all a traction game...whoever has better tires or better grip traction first wins...go watch the millions of videos on youtube of people doing these and some of the outcomes are just stupid

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
just hook up to the rear of each truck and have a pull off. questions will be answered without a doubt. Other then that anything said will be speculation.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
these prove absolutely nothing...its all a traction game...whoever has better tires or better grip traction first wins...go watch the millions of videos on youtube of people doing these and some of the outcomes are just stupid
I agree with Roy. It all depends who has better tires and gets traction first. Even if one truck sits higher than the other will matter. Which ever is higher, will pull the other up a bit and unload the rear suspension causing poor traction.

just hook up to the rear of each truck and have a pull off. questions will be answered without a doubt. Other then that anything said will be speculation.
I guess it can be done for fun. Get a vid of it if it does happen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses guys. You all make good points that I didn't even think of. I'll probably do it for fun anyways.. but yea I'll get a video of it :)

dinstaar.. it's been talked about to go to our local track and race. I don't want to go though if it's clear I wouldn't win. I think I would.. but even with my mods, I don't think it would equal his HP.. so I dunno. I have seen a few videos of Titan's smoking older Ram's.. but I haven't found any video's of new Ram's. I don't take losing very well lol

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
thanks for the responses guys. You all make good points that I didn't even think of. I'll probably do it for fun anyways.. but yea I'll get a video of it :)

dinstaar.. it's been talked about to go to our local track and race. I don't want to go though if it's clear I wouldn't win. I think I would.. but even with my mods, I don't think it would equal his HP.. so I dunno. I have seen a few videos of Titan's smoking older Ram's.. but I haven't found any video's of new Ram's. I don't take losing very well lol
on the track, you guys may be even till around the 1/8th but to the 1/4, he should get you. It also depends which gears he has. Tundras have about the same power as the new Rams and they trap at higher speeds and do the 1/4 faster than us with the same mods.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
So this might be a silly question..

I have a friend of mine who swears up and down that if we both hooked up our trucks, he'd basically "tow me all over town".

As for trucks, I have a 06' SE CC. With a CAI and, Magnaflow exhaust.

He has a stock '10 Dodge 1500 CC RAM with a HEMI.

His argument is that my Titan has 317hp with 385 lb ft torque, and his RAM is 390hp with 407 lb ft torque.

He says that even with my slight mods, I'd have no chance because he'd out power me.

Again, silly question.. but should I give up? Or would I really out power him?
Those numbers are only on paper anyways. They don't actually say how much hp/tq goes to the wheels. The Titan is way under rated anyways. I don't know the stock hp/tq to the wheels on a stock Hemi Ram would be.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
He would prolly pull you. Dont the rams have like tru trac, or what ever the comparable is?

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have raced three in town and finally dont need to bother anymore, won everytime. The last race was against a 45-50 year old guy who changed lanes at the top of the hill and luckily caught a red light when i asked him if he wanted more he reved, took that as a yes and blew him off it was over by the time we were through the intersection i pulled away he couldnt keep up. these things pull and with the problems they do have very little is with the engine or tranny by themselves. If you get a T with no other problems youll have a good truck for years.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, I had a lengthy story of my experience racing one in the war stories section but apparently it has been deleted for some reason....I'll throw down the basics...

a guy i work with has an '09 (same thing) hemi ram, quad cab, 2wd, 3.21 rear end with traction control, & 20" rims...bone stock.

at the time, my mods were a hypertech max energy programmer set to premium fuel, magnaflow exhaust with rear cats deleted, and k&n drop in filter.

we raced all together about 8-10 times on two different days....from a stop, IF i got traction i would pull ahead by about 1-2 lengths but by the time we hit around 90-95mph he would be pulling away ever so slightly...so at the strip, IF you get good traction and reaction time it would be a very close race....after the 1/4 is where he would be pulling on ya.

from around 60mph, we were literally side by side until around 90-95mph...then same thing, he started inching away. we did this same race several times, from 60, from 70, from 50, etc.....all same result, about equal until 90-95mph.

IF he has the 3.92 gears, it would be a tough race to win....IF you break traction from a stop, you will lose. Not having a programmer will hurt you, but as long as he is bone stock and has the 3.21 gears you MIGHT stand a chance.

It kinda boggles my mind when i hear people saying they've raced these things and "smoked" em or whatever....these new rams are stout trucks, and unless you have some decent mods or get a better launch I just don't see how it's possible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I COME TO YA AS A TRUCK GUY AND BEING HONEST AND NOT A DODGE GUYS. SO DONT ATTACK ME CAUSE IM BEING HONEST

Well let me say this the titan's do have good TQ and will give the New hemi a run for there money but once the HEMI hit 3rd it takes off like a rocket. I have a 2010 Hemi and i have a very good kill list and the only one that gave me a good run was the double cab tundra from a 50 roll but i got him by 1 fender. I will say this though i do know how to drive this truck and i manual shift it everytime i race it.

I pulled up to a titan when i had it in 3rd gear (manual) and toying with him and he wouldnt bite. I put it back in D and he punched it and caught me off gaurd and jump 1 truck but i came around him and pulled.

Dodge is weird at time and will sell a ram with 3 different gearing- 3.23, 3.55, 3.92 and i got the one with the 3.55 and its alright from a dig but from a roll it rolls hard. I cant imagin how sluggish the new ram with 3.23 gears would be from a DIG but i bet a ford ranger would probably beat it with those gears on a heavy truck. I have seen a crewcab with 3.92 hit a 14.6 bone stock and with just a tune he hit 14.1. I say a crewcab with 3.55 would probably hit a 14.9 stock but with a MPH in the mid 90's. I dont even want to talk about the dodge with the 3.23....LOL.

The only video i have is of me racing a friends BONE STOCK 09 silverado crewcab with the 6.2L vs me in my BONE STOCK 2010 HEMI both from a dig both left in drive.

The silverado ran a 9.5 in the 1/8 bone stock on 20's so that could give you a idea of what i could run if i went to the track.

YouTube - 2010 DODGE RAM 5.7L CREWCAB VS 2010 SILVERADO CREWCAB 6.2L

THIS IS THE SILVERADO I RACE BUT THIS VIDEO IS HIM AT THE 1/8 MILE
YouTube - 6.2 SILVERADO VS LS1 CAMARO

·
Registered
39 Posts
In everything that I have read the new Rams and the Titans are VERY close in racing, especially 0-60, which says a lot about the Titan's drivetrain. They have way less horsepower and quite a bit less torque yet they can keep up with the new Hemi's. I think that's pretty good. Pickuptrucks.com did a 1/2 ton test when the new Rams came out and the Titan for being such an old model did pretty good in acceleration tests, both unloaded and with a trailer in tow.

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
my friend has a '09 ram and we both have our trucks chipped, exhaust, and cold air intake. i know he can beat me on top end cause his truck can do 240km/h but its gonna be a good race on bottom end. were waitin till the snows gone so we can line em up at the air strip!! definitly takin a vid of it!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Seriously guys ya need to get out of those site. I will do a real comparission for ya. Bring me a stock titan in houston and i will run it from a dig, 30 roll, 60 roll, However ya want it. I dont believe that magazine crap or truck articles ever since the day i saw were they said the srt10 Quad cab ran a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile.....LOL yeah right

There are many article were they make the titan look good, ram look good, chevy look good and thats why i dont go off those article. I know how to drive my 2010 so bring me someone that knows how to drive there titan and well do a comparission and get this over with just like i did with the 6.2L silverado. I have a comparrission with a crewcab 2010 tundra 5.7L coming next week

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.