Nissan Titan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

would a Titan beat a '10 Ram?

7K views 89 replies 26 participants last post by  37L1 
#1 ·
So this might be a silly question..

I have a friend of mine who swears up and down that if we both hooked up our trucks, he'd basically "tow me all over town".

As for trucks, I have a 06' SE CC. With a CAI and, Magnaflow exhaust.

He has a stock '10 Dodge 1500 CC RAM with a HEMI.

His argument is that my Titan has 317hp with 385 lb ft torque, and his RAM is 390hp with 407 lb ft torque.

He says that even with my slight mods, I'd have no chance because he'd out power me.

Again, silly question.. but should I give up? Or would I really out power him?

#2 ·
these prove absolutely nothing...its all a traction game...whoever has better tires or better grip traction first wins...go watch the millions of videos on youtube of people doing these and some of the outcomes are just stupid

#4 ·
I agree with Roy. It all depends who has better tires and gets traction first. Even if one truck sits higher than the other will matter. Which ever is higher, will pull the other up a bit and unload the rear suspension causing poor traction.

just hook up to the rear of each truck and have a pull off. questions will be answered without a doubt. Other then that anything said will be speculation.
I guess it can be done for fun. Get a vid of it if it does happen.

#3 ·
just hook up to the rear of each truck and have a pull off. questions will be answered without a doubt. Other then that anything said will be speculation.

#6 ·
thanks for the responses guys. You all make good points that I didn't even think of. I'll probably do it for fun anyways.. but yea I'll get a video of it :)

dinstaar.. it's been talked about to go to our local track and race. I don't want to go though if it's clear I wouldn't win. I think I would.. but even with my mods, I don't think it would equal his HP.. so I dunno. I have seen a few videos of Titan's smoking older Ram's.. but I haven't found any video's of new Ram's. I don't take losing very well lol

#8 ·
Those numbers are only on paper anyways. They don't actually say how much hp/tq goes to the wheels. The Titan is way under rated anyways. I don't know the stock hp/tq to the wheels on a stock Hemi Ram would be.

#13 ·
i have raced three in town and finally dont need to bother anymore, won everytime. The last race was against a 45-50 year old guy who changed lanes at the top of the hill and luckily caught a red light when i asked him if he wanted more he reved, took that as a yes and blew him off it was over by the time we were through the intersection i pulled away he couldnt keep up. these things pull and with the problems they do have very little is with the engine or tranny by themselves. If you get a T with no other problems youll have a good truck for years.

#15 · (Edited)
Well, I had a lengthy story of my experience racing one in the war stories section but apparently it has been deleted for some reason....I'll throw down the basics...

a guy i work with has an '09 (same thing) hemi ram, quad cab, 2wd, 3.21 rear end with traction control, & 20" rims...bone stock.

at the time, my mods were a hypertech max energy programmer set to premium fuel, magnaflow exhaust with rear cats deleted, and k&n drop in filter.

we raced all together about 8-10 times on two different days....from a stop, IF i got traction i would pull ahead by about 1-2 lengths but by the time we hit around 90-95mph he would be pulling away ever so slightly...so at the strip, IF you get good traction and reaction time it would be a very close race....after the 1/4 is where he would be pulling on ya.

from around 60mph, we were literally side by side until around 90-95mph...then same thing, he started inching away. we did this same race several times, from 60, from 70, from 50, etc.....all same result, about equal until 90-95mph.

IF he has the 3.92 gears, it would be a tough race to win....IF you break traction from a stop, you will lose. Not having a programmer will hurt you, but as long as he is bone stock and has the 3.21 gears you MIGHT stand a chance.

It kinda boggles my mind when i hear people saying they've raced these things and "smoked" em or whatever....these new rams are stout trucks, and unless you have some decent mods or get a better launch I just don't see how it's possible.

#16 ·
I COME TO YA AS A TRUCK GUY AND BEING HONEST AND NOT A DODGE GUYS. SO DONT ATTACK ME CAUSE IM BEING HONEST

Well let me say this the titan's do have good TQ and will give the New hemi a run for there money but once the HEMI hit 3rd it takes off like a rocket. I have a 2010 Hemi and i have a very good kill list and the only one that gave me a good run was the double cab tundra from a 50 roll but i got him by 1 fender. I will say this though i do know how to drive this truck and i manual shift it everytime i race it.

I pulled up to a titan when i had it in 3rd gear (manual) and toying with him and he wouldnt bite. I put it back in D and he punched it and caught me off gaurd and jump 1 truck but i came around him and pulled.

Dodge is weird at time and will sell a ram with 3 different gearing- 3.23, 3.55, 3.92 and i got the one with the 3.55 and its alright from a dig but from a roll it rolls hard. I cant imagin how sluggish the new ram with 3.23 gears would be from a DIG but i bet a ford ranger would probably beat it with those gears on a heavy truck. I have seen a crewcab with 3.92 hit a 14.6 bone stock and with just a tune he hit 14.1. I say a crewcab with 3.55 would probably hit a 14.9 stock but with a MPH in the mid 90's. I dont even want to talk about the dodge with the 3.23....LOL.

The only video i have is of me racing a friends BONE STOCK 09 silverado crewcab with the 6.2L vs me in my BONE STOCK 2010 HEMI both from a dig both left in drive.

The silverado ran a 9.5 in the 1/8 bone stock on 20's so that could give you a idea of what i could run if i went to the track.

YouTube - 2010 DODGE RAM 5.7L CREWCAB VS 2010 SILVERADO CREWCAB 6.2L

THIS IS THE SILVERADO I RACE BUT THIS VIDEO IS HIM AT THE 1/8 MILE
YouTube - 6.2 SILVERADO VS LS1 CAMARO

#17 ·
In everything that I have read the new Rams and the Titans are VERY close in racing, especially 0-60, which says a lot about the Titan's drivetrain. They have way less horsepower and quite a bit less torque yet they can keep up with the new Hemi's. I think that's pretty good. Pickuptrucks.com did a 1/2 ton test when the new Rams came out and the Titan for being such an old model did pretty good in acceleration tests, both unloaded and with a trailer in tow.

#18 · (Edited)
#41 ·
150 mph in a truck?

#20 ·
Seriously guys ya need to get out of those site. I will do a real comparission for ya. Bring me a stock titan in houston and i will run it from a dig, 30 roll, 60 roll, However ya want it. I dont believe that magazine crap or truck articles ever since the day i saw were they said the srt10 Quad cab ran a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile.....LOL yeah right

There are many article were they make the titan look good, ram look good, chevy look good and thats why i dont go off those article. I know how to drive my 2010 so bring me someone that knows how to drive there titan and well do a comparission and get this over with just like i did with the 6.2L silverado. I have a comparrission with a crewcab 2010 tundra 5.7L coming next week

#21 ·
I'm looking forward to the outcome of the ram vs tundra....I know a guy with a 5.7 tundra crewcab, rode with him once, and again i just don't see how some of these people in titans with minimal mods are supposedly walking away from trucks like the new hemi or new tundra....i already told my ram story but i haven't been able to race my friend with the tundra yet, and to be honest i'm not sure i want to! LOL...i LOVE my titan, and it is very quick compared to most trucks...but could barely hang when compared to one of these two.

#22 ·
i have a hill in my town where a cop always hangs out soon as you top the hill, i like to mess with other trucks below the hill sometimes i get them to give me a run, i always hit the brakes just before we top the hill and they keep going right where the cop is. ive gotten 3 guys tickets like that. im still waiting from them to catch me out and kill me with a baseball bat.

#23 ·
I beat a 10' ram from a dig to about 70mph by 30 feet. I pulled him the whole time. I'm sure he was stock though.

#26 ·
The thing is, it seems like a Titan gains a lot more mod for mod. We have a WOT restriction, that in it's self is a big gain. Then you add a CAI, good exhaust work and a tuner and your looking at 1 second in the 1/4 mile gain. Stock for stock isn't a good comparison considering the Titan is restricted so much from the factory and other trucks are not. Especially the Tundras, they have headers and exhaust from the factory and run high 14's. A Titan with only headers and exhaust will run mid 14's or better.

#29 ·
how can you compare the titan and new ram MOD for MOD when there arent really any new rams modded to compare. The headers are 1500 bucks so noone is buying those and really the only diablo and superchips is the only thing the new ram are getting. There is a member on ramforumz. com that said he ran a 14.1 in his quad or crewcab 4th gen ram with jsut a tune and intake...Not 100% but i cant doubt it cause they have the potential to run those with a good tune

HERE IS MY FRIEND 09 QUAD CAB WITH JSUT A DROP IN FILTER WITH ME ON THE PASSENGER SEAT TAPING A RUN WITH THESE TRUCK...

09 RAM - DROP IN FILTER, CHERRY BOMD MUFFLER OTHERWISE STOCK ON 20'S

BLACK 04 DODGE- SUPERCHIPS, SHORTY HEADERS, INTAKE , CAT DELETE, MUFFLER

MARRON 04 DODGE- SUPERCHIPS, LT HEADERS, 4.56 GEARS AND SPRAYS IN 3RD GEARS ON ONE RUN WHERE HE CATCHES UP

SILVERADO- LS2 CAM, FLACO NITROUS TUNE, FULL BOLT ON, 3.73 ON 17S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwSG8_swag

#31 · (Edited)
I think it depends on gearing and traction of both trucks.. You have 2 different gear options on a Titan and 3 different gear options on the Hemi... Then you get into the differences of RC, KC, CC configurations of weight... Both the VK56 and the Hemi 5.7 are strong motors IMHO, and as proven many times those published numbers are off... Honestly, I don't think a series of 1-5 races would settle this debate..

If you do the math of the Ram 3 and Titan 2 gear options, then the same of the Ram 3 and Titan 2 Cab configurations, you're looking at 36 races just to race each of the Gear & Cab configurations against each other... Somehow, I'd suspect that it would come out pretty even in the end when all was said and done and I doubt a single canned answer would be accurate w/o specifying the Cab & Gear options of both trucks racing.

IMHO, you need to remove your WOT restriction and just race him then let us know. :rofl:

#34 ·
very very good point but either way im trying to set up a race with a titan from houston on a local forum and ill get his info on whats all done to his truck and if he is down to race ill post video and his mods if he has any. I do know he ran a 13.4 with a 125 shot so im not sure if he is stock other than the nitrous but i shall find out

#32 ·
Every article I have seen had the Titan with the 3.36 axle and the ram with its lowest 3.92 axle ,and the Titan edges it out although only slightly.

Where the real lead came for the Titan was when Motortrend hooked up the 6500lb trailer.

I thinks its safe to say that the Titan will win stock for stock 90% of the time although its only a slight win.

The Rams transmission is what hurts it.
Its not a true 5 speed ,but really a 4 speed with dual 2nd gears.
One for off the line and one for hwy passing.

#33 ·
I've yet to lose to a hemi and I have 3 under my belt.

1. 09' with exhaust and CAI
2. 10' Stock

3. Ok I lost this one. SRT8 Chrysler 300 with CAI, exhaust and tune. He runs 13.1's all day in the summer but I swear on my life I'm neck and neck with him until about 20 feet before the 1/8 mile line. We've raced about 6 or 7 times at the track. He tells me all the time that he cant believe the power the Titan makes.

#38 · (Edited)
What yr is the t? When you said he ran what he did with the 125 shot I figured he was a mid 14 truck. If he only has exhaust & aIRBOX mod he is a 15.0 truck. It will be a close race. Take video.

#42 ·
Here is what I have seen at the track.

I see this guy everytime at the track, he has a 2010 ram and I run a 08.5 cc. I have beat him everytime.

His best run is 15.1. he has a CAI, programer and exhaust. No matter what he does he can't get lower than 15.1 and thats with LSD as opposed to my 1 tire fire.

My best run N/A is 14.8 I have CAI and exhaust cutouts and I don't have uprev yet. When I spray a 50 shot, my best time has been 14.4 (un tuned)

#44 · (Edited)
here is what i have seen at the track.

I see this guy everytime at the track, he has a 2010 ram and i run a 08.5 cc. I have beat him everytime.

His best run is 15.1. He has a cai, programer and exhaust. No matter what he does he can't get lower than 15.1 and thats with lsd as opposed to my 1 tire fire.

My best run n/a is 14.8 i have cai and exhaust cutouts and i don't have uprev yet. When i spray a 50 shot, my best time has been 14.4 (un tuned)
and i have seen titan here in houston with lt headers, uprev tuning and a cam only run 14.1 on tires so whats your point.....BJ2007 will vouche for that....

#45 ·
just to give you a good idea what a 2010 crewcab runs with a good driver: ENJOY!

2010 STOCK HEMI W/( BJ2007-TITANTALK MEMBER FILMING) VS 2008 6.0 CREWCAB CHEVY, TUNED BY FLACO, 17'S, U/D PULLEY, INTAKE

30 ROLL
YouTube - 30 roll stock ram vs 6.0 silverado

2010 STOCK HEMI VS 2008 CC CHEVY 6.0 FLACO TUNE, U/D PULLEY, 17'S, INTAKE

60 ROLL- YES I POST VIDEO OF WHEN I ALSO LOSE
YouTube - 60 roll stock ram vs 6.0 tuned silverado

2010 STOCK HEMI VS 2009 CREWCAB CHEVY 5.3 TUNE BY EBER, SERVO, INTAKE, MUFFLER ON 20'S

60 ROLL
YouTube - La dirty perra vs daytona kuad hemi 60 roll

2010 STOCK HEMI VS 2009 CREWCAB CHEVY 5.3 TUNE BY EBER, SERVO, INTAKE, MUFFLER ON 20'S

25- 105 ( HEMI GOVENER KICKED IN)
YouTube - La dirty perra vs daytona kuad hemi 25 roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.