Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Titan is a 2008.5 SE 4x4. It seems that every time I have to replace tires, I wind up having less to pick from because I'm told that my stock 18-inch factory rims are a bit "oddball."

Have you found that to be the case? And would it be worth the investment for me to bite the bullet once and go ahead and move up to 20" rims?

·
Registered
284 Posts
18" rims are hardly "oddball"

I don't think the upgrade is worth it, at least to me, at that point, its about aesthetics

Reactions: agnostic x

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
18" rims are hardly "oddball"

I don't think the upgrade is worth it, at least to me, at that point, its about aesthetics
I'm running a size now that's larger than stock, but back when I ran stock I would always get told that my selections were limited.

Were they talking about the stock tire size and not the rim size?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Not sure but I can verify that selection is far slimmer in 18" than in 20 and 16. Personally, I don't like big rims

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure but I can verify that selection is far slimmer in 18" than in 20 and 16. Personally, I don't like big rims
Maybe I'll stay with 18's, but still replace them and go a bit wider next time.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
It's most likely the width of the stock rims. If you're trying to put wider tires on them most shops are going to say you need at least a 9" wide rim (even though you really don't). If you go with a 20" rim you will be paying more for tires because of less sidewall.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's most likely the width of the stock rims. If you're trying to put wider tires on them most shops are going to say you need at least a 9" wide rim (even though you really don't). If you go with a 20" rim you will be paying more for tires because of less sidewall.
I see. That clears it up a bit, so thanks.

Next time out I might go with 9.5" rims, once I've researched to see if that will scrub or anything.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I can definitely confirm there is less selection of 20" tires than 18". I have stock 20's on my '12 and wanted a LT tire since I towed a travel trailer and carried a dirt bike when we went camping. There were literally no options in the stock size (275/60/20) and LT rating. I stepped up to a 285/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs and the cost was around $1700 (including certs). Not cheap at all. Plus the tires are incredibly heavy, as are the rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts