Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the Rivian R1T being thrown about, Tesla talking about an electric truck, Atlis XT starting to actually build a truck, and now Ford saying they're working on an electric F150 I'm excited about the possibilities. If you haven't seen/heard here are the R1T and XT. Note the XT images are just renderings, and their project is insanely ambitious to say the least.

https://products.rivian.com/

Atlis Motor Vehicles - XT Pickup Truck

The R1T is priced "starting at 62k" and the Atlis starts at 45k. I'm thinking the R1T will be around 75k for the long range version, who knows what Atlis will do for theirs. They seem to be in Tesla's mindset of "lets promise the most badass truck we can, and hope for the best".

Me personally, the thought of an electric truck ($25-30 "fill up" for 350-400 miles) with real AWD, tons of storage, the interiors look incredible on those two, and the specs have me drooling over them. I was planning on starting to shop in the next couple years, but now I just may hold on to my gen 1 and see what the electric market holds in 4-5 years. Really the only downsides to an EV truck for me would be exorbitant ($65k+) pricing and losing the sound of my V8 engine. I average about 13mpg in my truck so 300-350 miles on a tank based on city/highway. At current prices that's about 40% more expensive than charging up a similar/better ranged EV truck. That's roughly $1000 a year for me just in gas savings alone.

·
Premium Member
92,188 Posts
Also need to consider the recharging station availability...

Right now, a 900 mile trip to Gatlinburg for a meet is nothing... With electric, there's a lot more to consider before roaming that far.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. I think the Rivian they provide a "plug anywhere" charger, but it would still take several hours (overnight) to charge up full. Only going 400 miles in a day is short compared to gas. The XT is claiming 15 minute charging at their stations, but they don't even have that designed, built, or tested yet. Like I said, I think they're extremely optimistic on their goals.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I think it's a ridiculous idea. It would be fine for a city use I guess? But the whole purpose of a truck in my mind is to hook up the travel trailer and go to Ohio, Georgia, NY where ever in one day? And that electric trucks range I'm sure is unloaded. There's no way it could do travel trailer trips more than 100 miles if at all I bet. Until proven wrong, I think it's just a pipe dream. It's designed by people that don't understand why so many people are driving big wasteful gas hog trucks, when they could be driving a electric vehicle? :)

·
Premium Member
92,188 Posts
Hey, people are buying this...

So, yeah, the market for useless, underpowered, city boppers is out there... :rofl:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's a ridiculous idea. It would be fine for a city use I guess? But the whole purpose of a truck in my mind is to hook up the travel trailer and go to Ohio, Georgia, NY where ever in one day? And that electric trucks range I'm sure is unloaded. There's no way it could do travel trailer trips more than 100 miles if at all I bet. Until proven wrong, I think it's just a pipe dream. It's designed by people that don't understand why so many people are driving big wasteful gas hog trucks, when they could be driving a electric vehicle? :)
A Titan even with a small trailer is getting 6-9 MPG. I towed a 10ft U-Haul that was maybe 2000 pounds total and got 6 MPG cause the trailer shape was a box. You're stopping every 150-200 miles anyway. If you can charge in 15-30 minutes I don't see a real disadvantage. Now if you have to sit there and wait for 1-2 hours or more yeah that's understandable. That's also only if you have available charging as well.

I'd say for 75%+ of most truck drivers, especially nowadays, driving around town is mainly what you do. My Titan is my DD, so it's pretty much an around town truck. I don't tow a TT, but I use it for my motorcycle, ATV, some off road, and hauling stuff.

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
I would wait to see runtime statistics for a pulling a fully loaded trailer. No way they're going to get a decent range.

My daily driver is a Nissan Leaf and it's a great car for my situation. To work, charge up there, drive home, rinse, repeat. I'll use it for errands close to home on the weekends. Sometimes charging at home but usually not.

I have an F-350 with the 6.7L diesel engine, pulling an 11k GVWR toy hauler into the Rocky Mountains. Charging stations are few and far between outside dense population centers. The Atlis would be a terrible truck for what and where I tow.

I'm all for EV tech, but right now it's not there except for limited implementations.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep in mind that Tesla has already created a long haul tractor for transport trucks.

Electric trucks have a great future, they have the ability to pack much bigger battery packs into a truck frame, so range is expected to be exceptional. The torque delivered by 4 traction motors far outweighs what we get from any combustion engine.

I expect to hold my Titan for 6-8 years, by which time I expect to be able to buy an all electric pickup that will go all day on a single charge. By this time, a tank of gas in my Titan will probably be pushing $200 (it's often over $100 now). I can hardly wait!

·
Registered
869 Posts
With all the billions they've invested on EVs, you can bet that if it were realistic both economically and range-wise, Nissan would already have a truck EV on the market. No real breakthroughs in battery technology mean weight remains a huge issue and cost remains high. Nissan just debuted a new extended range Leaf for 2019, but a full lineup of other EV models remain but a dream for now. Trucks? They're WAY back in dreamland for mass consumption.

·
Premium Member
67,466 Posts
2 words. HELL NO!

·
Registered
791 Posts
We are going to be force fed this garbage just wait. My answer is no nope nada uh huh ain’t gonna be me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
With all the billions they've invested on EVs, you can bet that if it were realistic both economically and range-wise, Nissan would already have a truck EV on the market. No real breakthroughs in battery technology mean weight remains a huge issue and cost remains high. Nissan just debuted a new extended range Leaf for 2019, but a full lineup of other EV models remain but a dream for now. Trucks? They're WAY back in dreamland for mass consumption.
Nissan is planning to have 8 full EV's in addition to the Leaf by 2022. Will that include a truck? Probably not. But if Ford, Chevy/GMC, RAM, and Toyota, along with the one-offs, start developing trucks that's the next direction. I'm not saying we'll have all electric trucks outperforming V8's in the next 2 years. A production truck is 3-4+ years down the road of becoming realistic.

Would you really turn your nose up at a 400 mile range, 700 HP, 1000 ft-lb of torque, true 4WD truck that can ford 3 feet of water? In all likelihood I would keep my Titan since it'll be worth about 5 grand or less by this time so I'd have something to fall back on, but it's going to be around the 200-225k mile mark at 15 years old.

·
Registered
791 Posts
So with the Rivian R1T being thrown about, Tesla talking about an electric truck, Atlis XT starting to actually build a truck, and now Ford saying they're working on an electric F150 I'm excited about the possibilities. If you haven't seen/heard here are the R1T and XT. Note the XT images are just renderings, and their project is insanely ambitious to say the least.

https://products.rivian.com/

Atlis Motor Vehicles - XT Pickup Truck

The R1T is priced "starting at 62k" and the Atlis starts at 45k. I'm thinking the R1T will be around 75k for the long range version, who knows what Atlis will do for theirs. They seem to be in Tesla's mindset of "lets promise the most badass truck we can, and hope for the best".

Me personally, the thought of an electric truck ($25-30 "fill up" for 350-400 miles) with real AWD, tons of storage, the interiors look incredible on those two, and the specs have me drooling over them. I was planning on starting to shop in the next couple years, but now I just may hold on to my gen 1 and see what the electric market holds in 4-5 years. Really the only downsides to an EV truck for me would be exorbitant ($65k+) pricing and losing the sound of my V8 engine. I average about 13mpg in my truck so 300-350 miles on a tank based on city/highway. At current prices that's about 40% more expensive than charging up a similar/better ranged EV truck. That's roughly $1000 a year for me just in gas savings alone.

I almost spit my coffee all over when I read WADING DEPTH. LOL who the hell wades their truck into the water or mud etc..., I wouldn’t make an electric truck until I could drive it into 3 feet of junk and not worry about electrocuting everyone

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost spit my coffee all over when I read WADING DEPTH. LOL who the hell wades their truck into the water or mud etc..., I wouldn’t make an electric truck until I could drive it into 3 feet of junk and not worry about electrocuting everyone

You don't drive through any deep water? Tons of people drive through water. Hell, HRTKD's picture is IN A RIVER. There are many times off road where I have had to get out of my truck to check depth before I drive through it. Nothing's ever been over 3 feet, but plenty have been deep enough to force me to go around since I don't have a snorkel and still pull air from the stock location.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You don't drive through any deep water? Tons of people drive through water. Hell, HRTKD's picture is IN A RIVER. There are many times off road where I have had to get out of my truck to check depth before I drive through it. Nothing's ever been over 3 feet, but plenty have been deep enough to force me to go around since I don't have a snorkel and still pull air from the stock location.

I know it’s just the word wading. It sounds so delicate lol. The Riivian and the Atlis do seem nice but the price. The Bollinger is super ugly

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it’s just the word wading. It sounds so delicate lol. The Riivian and the Atlis do seem nice but the price. The Bollinger is super ugly

My apologies. I thought you were making fun of the actual ability, not just the wording. I agree that the Bollinger is ugly. I really like the XT renderings, but I'm not a fan of the red one they have that looks like the reality version.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’m drawn the the Rivian more because my Uncle drive nothing but International Trucks. One night he bought a new one and on the way home we ran out of gas I was like 8 or 10 years old. Some back road I was scared and my Uncle was about 6’ 8” and 350lbs and always had a cigar in his mouth lit it not. He said to my Aunt, Woman, I’m gonna go to that house and use the phone. Always got a chuckle outta the woman thing. Anyway the truck had two tanks and the one was empty and he forgot about it. He flipped the switch and off we went. Fond memories

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I could see buying one. But I hope not to be buying one soon. I just bought a 2019 Ram 4WD Crew Cab Bighorn, and I suspect it might be my last truck purchase :) - not that I'm planning on dying anytime soon, but by the time I get the years & miles on it that I got on the Titan I'll be pretty deep into my 60s and unlikely to be that interested in hauling a lot of crap anymore.

·
Registered
197 Posts
EV is coming. There is no doubt there. Lithium batteries continue to improve but we still need another battery breakthrough. Once the energy in a kilogram of gasoline matches ( or closely matches ) the equivalent in battery weight, the battle will be over.

Range is an issue today but power isn’t. An electric motor will out perform every petroleum engine out there.

What saddens me will be the day when we can’t drive our own cars anymore. Where more and more roadways become autonomous only where there will be no lane separation or traffic lights / signs.
Maybe not in my lifetime but definitely in the next 100 years there will be no more cars for sale that you can manually operate. One day people will look at how mankind used to operate these vehicles through the use of petals and wheels.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
13 Participants
noel55
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing