Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
wow water and gas mixture , isnt that a bad thing? lol there "electrolyzer hydrogen generator " looks like a used pickle jar

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
ldizzle_sks said:
wow water and gas mixture , isnt that a bad thing? lol there "electrolyzer hydrogen generator " looks like a used pickle jar
I suspect that's to keep the cost down. If they used a coffee can, it would cost $2.75 more... :lol:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just read about everything on that site and very unlikely to work, all parts looked like there puchased from a local hardware store or garage sale

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
ldizzle_sks said:
I just read about everything on that site and very unlikely to work, all parts looked like there puchased from a local hardware store or garage sale
Yeah.. for about $6.... :grunge:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Using water as fuel in some way is very old & keeps coming
up over & over again. The first time I heard about it was in
1975 & it was being pushed by a guy from Chicago.
Someone at work called the Chicago area BBB to inquire
about the man..........BBB said his name was in their records
& he was a scam artist...........as expected.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
i have seen a show on the history channel or one of those channels and they had cars that ran on different stuff and one of them was running on water i forget how it worked but of cording to them it did.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like the proverbial engine that burns smog and puts out Oxygen as a waste product ...

Water injection IS a very real thing, but it only works at very high engine power (kinda' like Nitrous Oxide) and is usually a mixed injection as in water-methanol injection, such as used to be used for war emergency pwoer in very high-power pistion aircraft engines and some early jets.

Never heard it used in a car engine before.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Pretty funny stuff. Great how the old scams just keep coming back. We had a guy with a '65 Buick that got about 9 MPG and he swore his "Chargifire" or whatever it was called, the water he put in it helped it get to 15 MPG.

We had the car in the shop for a tuneup, and one of the fellas put a nose to the top of the jar (it was a jelly jar with a coil in it and a tube that went to manifold vacuum) and he thought he smelled gas. So he of course pinched off the hose and completed the tuneup. Thing is, he forgot to take the clothespin off the tube and the car went out that way.

So the guy comes in a couple days later for gas and is bragging about how great his car is running now, thanks for the tuneup. The next week, our man opens the hood to check oil for the routine fuel stop (yes, we did that then) and here's the clothespin. So he quietly takes it off and pockets it.

The guy is in the next week for gas and is griping about how bad the car is running... fuel mileage is down to where it was before he brought it in and so on. So I remain unconvinced about these things.

However, we did have a fella with a supercharged pickup truck and he had a bottle for water injection. It only came on at high revs when the supercharger was cut in and the engine could have really bad spark knock. The principle is that the water absorbes some of the excess energy in the combustion chamber that would be otherwise going to spark knock, in essence raising the octane.

There was a link here a while ago about an old camshaft-maker who invented a 6-cycle water-injection engine. Maybe somebody can post that here for the good of the thread. I hate dialup, but wireless internet is expensive out this far in the country.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Water is just hydrogen and oxygen. Both could be shown to help combustion. An electrolytic cell could separate and give off oxygen and hydrogen gas. I am not a chemist but it is not too far fetched to see something in the future might involve water to extend gas mileage. JMO

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
couple of things.... water in the combustion chamber is not a real good idea. See, water isn't compressable. Put too much in, hit the compression stroke and ka-bleuy! - instant engine parts all over your engine bay, the road and maybe through the hood... That said, if has been used as someone else said to help cool the engine, but you and I, a ball jar and some hose aren't gonna engineer that special little treat...

As for the hydrogen/oxygen thing - that's all possible too, but your missing the power to split those things and keep them apart - for that your gonna need a reactor in the bed...

Read this: http://anti-rant.blogspot.com/2006/05/simple-truth-about-hho-and-water.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is kinda cool...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/salt-water-fuel.htm

And water injection is definitely real. Many many many car enthusiasts use water injection on forced induction vehicles, like steamguy said. I don't have it on my SRT, but there are tons of guys that do. If I wasn't selling my car, I would buy a kit for it.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
master_1011 said:
This is kinda cool...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/salt-water-fuel.htm

And water injection is definitely real. Many many many car enthusiasts use water injection on forced induction vehicles, like steamguy said. I don't have it on my SRT, but there are tons of guys that do. If I wasn't selling my car, I would buy a kit for it.

Water injection is way different than what that website is claiming. Water injection is used to aid hp, not run the vehicle. We used to use it on our helicoters, but all it really does is cool the temp of the engine letting you pour more fuel in without melting anything.

·
Registered
321 Posts
helomech said:
Water injection is way different than what that website is claiming. Water injection is used to aid hp, not run the vehicle. We used to use it on our helicoters, but all it really does is cool the temp of the engine letting you pour more fuel in without melting anything.

I never said it was for running the motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts