Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah the fun of the wilderness!! Traveling down a 2 lane road in Central Wyoming about 0630 in the morning, doing the speed limit (65 mph, something I rarely do) after leaving camp to hunt antelope.

Crest a hill and start on the downgrade on wet pavement from the previous nights rain and lo and behold!!!! Its a conga line of antelope stretched out from off the road on both sides, on both shoulders and both lanes, with no time to get stopped and no way to avoid hitting something, it's time to test those anti-lock brakes and hold on ............ naturally the doe that is right in front of me is the biggest one and I whack her "idhitit2: and send her skidding dead :deadcow: :angel: across the other lane and off the shoulder.

Then its time to pull over and survey the damage from hitting a 90 to 100 pound animal .......... the center of the bumper is destroyed, the left front panel is damaged and popped out, my left front fog light is ripped out, the grill and hood are both tweaked, but amazingly, the animal was shoved forward, so there is no damage underneath and although the front end is crushed inwards, no damage to either the extra cooling fan or the radiator ............ the truck is completely driveable!!!!!

So tomorrow it is time to go off and get an accounting of the damage. The only good news is that the two guys in the truck both said there was nothing I could have done, I was going to hit something and that continuing straight, hammering the brakes and holding on was the best I could do and that they were pleased I didn't panic.

As hard as it may be to believe this was the milder of the two accidents that occurred on the trip .............. the other didn't involve my truck though and is a story for another day!!!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
lets see some pics if u have any...and not of the dead antelope

·
Super Moderator
93,863 Posts
Hopefully your insurance will cover all the damage

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
PM a Mod, and you can change your screenname from Birdhunter to Antelopekiller! :) J/K

Glad to hear no humans were harmed in any way. The Titan is fixable, that is nice. Not many Antelope running around these parts.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Glad you're alright. Luckily, hitting an animal is a covered, non-chargable accident! But next time you go antelope hunting, try using a gun instead of your truck! :lol:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. This sounds like a good opportunity to take the insurance money and do some upgrades to that front end while it is in the shop.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
better that it was an antelope and not a Ram... hit one in Colorado, back in 1995, Nissan Hardbody took a beating, totalled due to frame being tweaked and complete engine replacement needed... but in your case... glad to see everyone was ok the ABS did the job... (in hindsight, I wish I would've bought it back and customized it...)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad your okay. Was there enough impact that your airbags deployed? If not, do you have a front bumper grill guard or bullbar installed? Did you salvage that doe?:meow:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, the airbags didn't deploy, which was a good thing. The antelope was toast, I hit it in the gut and hinds and destroyed everything. Yes I did get my 2 antelope with my Weatherby, which is what salvaged the trip.

I took pictures but since the insurance company didn't want them, I didn't keep them, although I thought it was kinda funny that the body shop took pictures and said "Oh, there's your proof you hit an animal, I'll make sure I note it" and this was a lady pointing out all the hair stuck in between the grill and the bumper.

They took it apart today and amazingly enough none of the brackets holding the front end were damaged, so all they have to do is replace all the parts below the grill and tweak a couple of other things and they said I will have it back on Friday. All I have is my $250 deductible, so it won't be too bad.

My friend had suggested changing my screen name to Goat Killer (since that is what all the locals call the antelope) but nope, Birdhunter is still the best!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts