Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some advice on what the dealer says is environmental fallout .

I was waxing my truck a week ago and noticed some rust looking specs on some portions of the hood and top of the cab. My wax had a cleaner component to ot, so i attempted to wax more in tose areas without success of removing the specs.

I then called the dealer and they said it might be environmental fallout. I dropped the car off at the dealership and they confermed it.

They said take it to a detailer and they can take it out.

My thought is WTF?? is this for real or a cop out. I never had paint do this before and neither has anyone i have asked.

is this BS for a 2006 truck? Are they trying to push me over, when they might know that the paint is faulty and they don't want to re paint?

Any ideas on what i should do or how i should fight it? TT never lets me down.

thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
160,772 Posts
What exactly are they referring to by environmental fallout? I've never heard the term.

We know our paint is thin. But come on. I hope they'll do the right thing for you.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Sorry not a warranty issue. All around us we have stuff floating around and landing on our cars/trucks. this stuff can have metal particles in it and they can and will embed in your paint. Over time they will dig themselves and as water gets on the particles and time passes, you get rust spots in your paint. You can remove most of it with a product called Claybar, should be at Pep Boys/Kragen.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Some refer to it as "rail dust". As stated before go to the store and buy a clay bar, follow the directions and it should remove most if not all particles.
At least it can be resolved without repainting. Good luck and tell us how you make out with this.

Clint

·
Registered
168 Posts
It has nothing to do with faulty paint. Yes, the paint is thinner than on any of the other Nissan trucks I've owned, but what it is is rail dust. These are contaminants that get deposited on your truck while its in shipment. If you've never clay barred your truck, you should consider doing it once every 6 months to one year.

They will probably just claybar your truck, polish, and wax it. Repainting it ain't going to happen unless you've got serious rust issues, dude.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I better go out and check my truck for 'rail dust'. Since my truck sits in a rail yard for 36 hours at a time, I should have a higher chance of acquiring 'rail dust'.

I did not notice it on my '07 the last time I wash it. Granite must hide it well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
wow,!!!!!! take the pipe out the service advisors hand and take a big hit and then have them explain it to you then, ok i can't stop laughing right now. clay it like everyone above say's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
cnett said:
I better go out and check my truck for 'rail dust'. Since my truck sits in a rail yard for 36 hours at a time, I should have a higher chance of acquiring 'rail dust'.

I did not notice it on my '07 the last time I wash it. Granite must hide it well.
Wash your truck. Then dry it. Then run your hand across the paint. If it doesn't feel smooth as a baby's behind, then you've got contaminants in your paint. Rail dust is just one thing that can get stuck to your truck. There's other things too. Clay bar the truck to make it smooth as a baby's behind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well with everyones advice I'll look into the clay bar.. I'll remember to carbo-load the day before. Just to get it right, wash-dry-clay bar-polish-then wax..right? Or do not need to polish?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My last truck was an 01 sierra, white in color. I bought it on a rainy, overcast saturday and tried my best to get a good look at it. I bought it back the following monday for the detail. After I got it home, I noticed quite a bit of the same thing, rust colored flakes I couldnt get off. I bought it back to the dealer and they gave me the rail dust explanation. The good thing was they said it should have never been delivered to a customer in that condition, and the dealer took care of the clay bar job.

I had never heard of a clay bar before they told me how they were going to fix it, so I was skeptical. Anyway, the before and after was amazing. After I put a coat of wax on it, I could not believe the finish. It was awesome!

I just re-read that its an 06 so I guess the dealer fix is out for you. But to beat a dead horse...A clay bar is your answer. Good luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
After you're done claying it, put your hand in a plastic baggy and run it across the paint to make sure you get it all. With your hand in the bag you will feel every little imperfection, good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts