Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I feel like a dumb ***. I broke this motor down and had it sent to the machine shop... I put the cams gears in a box and the camshafts in another box.
I dont know why I forgot to label the shafts :( I saw the gears and thought they were all the sameand all you have to do is find the correct gear which is easy since they are all the same with a slot for left or right.

Now I am sitting here trying to figure out which cam shaft is what and trying to see if the timing marks line up. I have a Chiltons manual and it sucks [email protected]@. Very vague information and crappy images.

I rotate the cams till the fall into the recess for the cam problem is thshaft to sit in.. only problem is that the manual says to install the camshaft dowel facing the top of the cylinder head at a 90 degree angle.. I tried that and no matter what combination I try to use the dowel does not sit at 90 degrees to the head and the timing marks do not line up!!

Driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.. any help would be great..

thank you

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only problem with the FSM is the camshaft identification chart is based on a paint mark on the shaft. i dont have any paint marks on mine...

THis is what is on mine,,

1.) 7SR and a 4 on the otherside of the same lobe

2.) 7SR and a 4 on the otherside of the same lobe

3.) 7SL and a 1 on the otherside of the same lobe

4.) 7SL and a 2 on the otherside of the same lobe. (this one is the intake for the left bank, its the only one that will work with the cam position sensor. it has notches it the rear of it.)

1-3 are still the mystery camshafts. any help identifying them would be great. thank you

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
once again Im a dumb ***... solved my problem.. Nissan put and identification ring onto the camshaft for the right bank camshafts.. on the front of the right intake was a brown 1/4" paint ring.. it wasnt white like they said it was brown..lol prolly oil on it...

The left side was also easily readable... the intake has the trigger wheel for the Cam position sensor straight into it.. so that was a given.
and the exhaust for the left bank has no identification ring on it.

and they say to put the dowel facing 90 degrees at the top of the cylinder head.. only way to do that is to drop the cams in and bolt down. then turn the camshaft manualy to the 90 degree point.. I mad a mistake and thought they would drop in at 90 degrees... this is a first motor build for me.. never built one from a bare block up so Im learning and taking notes of what not to do next time I do a build.

thanks.

I hope this will help anyone who ever needs it in the future.. i should have thought more before driving my self nuts..

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Look at page 49 of 110. Both of the cams for the right bank are supposed to have an identification rib, which is shown in the drawing.

You may also be able to verify by comparing the cam lobes with the firing order.

Firing order: 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2

cylinder numbering

Exhaust valve open duration: 232 degrees
Intake valve open duration: 230 degrees
Intake valve open/Exhaust valve open overlap: 5 degrees

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
once again Im a dumb ***... solved my problem.. Nissan put and identification ring onto the camshaft for the right bank camshafts.. on the front of the right intake was a brown 1/4" paint ring.. it wasnt white like they said it was brown..lol prolly oil on it...

The left side was also easily readable... the intake has the trigger wheel for the Cam position sensor straight into it.. so that was a given.
and the exhaust for the left bank has no identification ring on it.

and they say to put the dowel facing 90 degrees at the top of the cylinder head.. only way to do that is to drop the cams in and bolt down. then turn the camshaft manualy to the 90 degree point.. I mad a mistake and thought they would drop in at 90 degrees... this is a first motor build for me.. never built one from a bare block up so Im learning and taking notes of what not to do next time I do a build.

thanks.

I hope this will help anyone who ever needs it in the future.. i should have thought more before driving my self nuts..
Cool. Now to match up the lifters.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
All this is new info to me! You guys are great!!!

I have always been into car's/trucks, but i've never torn into an engine myself before. I am enjoying learning all this stuff about the VK56!!! :coolsmile:read::coolsmile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts