Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember, I bought and installed the Nismo Catback exhaust for my Titan last summer. I installed it, and while it sounded amazing around town, and doing wide open blasts down the highway passing cars, the drone eventually got to me.

I had it removed and the stock exhaust installed again, and this nice exhaust kit just sat on a shelf in my garage all winter long.

This week on Monday I decided to try it again, but this time getting an exhaust shop to modify it some to get rid of the drone, and tone down the volume at low rpms.

I have had a few suggestions from the shop, and they suggested adding a set of resonators in front of the Nismo "mufflers", or else removing the Nismo "mufflers" altogether and putting something else in their place.

I've also read about another member here installing an X-Pipe into their Nismo kit with good results.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
An X pipe won't quiet it down. I'd take out my secondary cats and have dynomax bullets put in their place. That's where I would start.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An X pipe won't quiet it down. I'd take out my secondary cats and have dynomax bullets put in their place. That's where I would start.
I have heard from others with X-Pipes on their Nismo kits that it toned down the drone, and actually improved the sound. A 2.25" X pipe is only $90 so I thought it might be worth a shot, and I would still have room for resonators.

I guess the bigger question is, should I add in some resonators, or just replace the Nismo ones that are on there with something quieter.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I say resonators, I wouldn't want to change the nismo mufflers unless I absolutely had too. They sound too good.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I don't see how an X pipe would quiet anything down, they're just for the "scavenging" effect and keeping pressure off both heads even. Again, I say add resonators before anything else

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Papa_D was the one who added a Dr Gas X-pipe to his Nismos to tone it down. He was happy w/ the result from what I remember. You'll have to do some searching to find the thread on here.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Papa is also running LT's IIRC. I guess X-pipes will tone it down, I stand corrected. Still don't understand how though :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Papa_D was the one who added a Dr Gas X-pipe to his Nismos to tone it down. He was happy w/ the result from what I remember. You'll have to do some searching to find the thread on here.
I did find that thread and pm'd him about the results. I kind of wanted to hear it before I start hacking up my exhaust kit.

I tell ya, this kit is love/hate for sure. For how many times I ***** about it, the few times (like today) when I need to WOT pass someone, brings a huge smile to my face.

Just can't handle the 6 hours of drone on long trips though... :ftard:

I found this video

I know its not the same setup as me, but I think I can hear the difference the X-Pipe is making and I like it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still haven't done anything in regards to my exhaust, I can't make up my mind whether to start with an X-Pipe or not.

I guess it can't really hurt anything other than my wallet, and I can always go to resonators if its not enough drone reduction.

What would you guys suggest for resonators?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I still haven't done anything in regards to my exhaust, I can't make up my mind whether to start with an X-Pipe or not.

I guess it can't really hurt anything other than my wallet, and I can always go to resonators if its not enough drone reduction.

I was researching resonators last night and the following brands were mentioned here on TT:

vibrant ($$$)
dynomax ($$)
jones ($)

Keep us posted on what you do, I may have to do something if the drone starts getting to me.

·
Registered
423 Posts

dynomax bullets...$40/each

put one on each pipe in front of the muffler....made the flowmaster I used to have go from causing headaches to a nice, smooth rumble with much less drone. they're a straight thru design so no worries about power loss...the ones I used were 16.5" long

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dynomax bullets...$40/each

put one on each pipe in front of the muffler....made the flowmaster I used to have go from causing headaches to a nice, smooth rumble with much less drone. they're a straight thru design so no worries about power loss...the ones I used were 16.5" long

Thanks for your suggestion. I originally asked the guy at the exhaust shop about doing this, but he was skeptical about how the bullets would tone down the drone.

I came across this today while researching X-Pipes and resonators.

Dynomax Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Ultra Flo X Mufflers

Any opinons on them? Seems like I could kill two birds with one stone with one of these?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Basically same thing as a magnaflow...gonna be quieter and be more likely to have the cis sound, and could still drone some. Hard to compare for me as I've never heard the nismo in person.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Autoguide

1 - 13 of 13 Posts