Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Yeah im getting more and more dissapointed in the XD as time goes on...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah im getting more and more dissapointed in the XD as time goes on...
I don't know, doesn't sound like it did to bad to me. It sound like it handled the load well and didn't really have any issues with it. Time, never thought of towing as a drag race, I'm would be more concerned with how the truck feels and handles it and I've read quite a few reviews that are quite happy with how it handles loads. I've read more than a few who aren't happy with aluminum F150 performance towing at max because the truck is so light.

Also, not like the 2014 Pro 4X was better with less weight, so it improved over the previous generation and most of us love our current Titans.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
It really is in a class of its own, you cant really compare it to a half ton or the 3/4 ton, but the only thing that sucks is its got a lot of 3/4 ton "like" parts, with the diesel engine, heavy duty transmission, heavy duty chassis, but tows less than some of the half ton trucks? Doesn't seem right to me.

Also, this new XD has over 550 ft/lbs of torque, which is the important number in towing, and the 1st gen Titan has 380 ft/lbs, now thats a 170 ft/lbs difference, but yet they are both very similar in time, how can you explain that other than either the XD is overrated, or the 1st gen is underrated.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Throwing speed out of the equation, the XD didn't really "handle" the load well. They spent all night trying to strategically place 3 4wheelers and some cynder blocks, so as not to overload the tongue weight. Add to that, Andre was not able to ride in the back seat, because it would be over it's payload. That makes the gooseneck option a novelty item.

2016 Titan xd 8.44 sec up. 3.9 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 Ford f150 3.5 ecoboost. 7:36 sec up. 2.9 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 chevy silverado 6,2l. 8.26 sec up. 3.4 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 nissan titan 5.6l. 9.08 sec up. 2.8 mpg. 10,800lbs

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
327 Posts
It really is in a class of its own, you cant really compare it to a half ton or the 3/4 ton, but the only thing that sucks is its got a lot of 3/4 ton "like" parts, with the diesel engine, heavy duty transmission, heavy duty chassis, but tows less than some of the half ton trucks? Doesn't seem right to me.

Also, this new XD has over 550 ft/lbs of torque, which is the important number in towing, and the 1st gen Titan has 380 ft/lbs, now thats a 170 ft/lbs difference, but yet they are both very similar in time, how can you explain that other than either the XD is overrated, or the 1st gen is underrated.
I think most of the LD (I hate the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton moniker anymore as it doesn't really apply) ratings are inflated anymore, most of the vehicles you find on dealer lots will be at the minimum tow numbers and not the max tow numbers in that category. I just went through this and why I bought a Titan this year.

The time numbers I don't get the point of because you still have a speed limit to deal with and it's a heavier load behind the XD than what they had behind the 2014 they tested.

I've towed a lot and grew up on a farm where max towing was basically how much could you move. I used to tow over 22000 lbs behind a old chevy 1/2 ton every spring (3 at 7,500 each anhydrous ammonia nurse tanks) with out electric brakes, that is sketchy, ah to be young and dumb again. Of course still the most sketchy thing was always my boat at just over 2000 lbs behind a Jeep Cherokee on a wet boat ramp as the Jeep didn't weight enough so you did a 4 wheel skid backing until the boat hit water as you weren't stopping it. Weight of the tow vehicle matters and everything I've heard and read, while the numbers might not seem impressive every said it felt very stable and controlled when towing. And they said the same thing here, their only complaint was the lack of an engine brake but doesn't sound like it every had any sign of struggle with the load but was comfortable and confident handling it.

Yes, numbers tell you a lot, but they don't tell the entire story and can be at time misleading. Some vehicles you can run on the edge and be fine, others you don't want to get anywhere near the limit because things start to get uncomfortable before then.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Throwing speed out of the equation, the XD didn't really "handle" the load well. They spent all night trying to strategically place 3 4wheelers and some cynder blocks, so as not to overload the tongue weight. Add to that, Andre was not able to ride in the back seat, because it would be over it's payload. That makes the gooseneck option a novelty item.

2016 Titan xd 8.44 sec up. 3.9 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 Ford f150 3.5 ecoboost. 7:36 sec up. 2.9 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 chevy silverado 6,2l. 8.26 sec up. 3.4 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 nissan titan 5.6l. 9.08 sec up. 2.8 mpg. 10,800lbs
I do the same thing with my camper, trying to load it correctly. Have a gooseneck trailer and an old 78 3/4 ton Chevy, you don't just throw weight on that and go either, you have to distribute the weight correctly, it's really nothing new or unique.

Am I in the market for one, no, but I also don't think it seems that bad and seems like a pretty confident tower. If I was in the market, I would certainly check one out as a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
That's a load of crap. I could take your F250, load up a gooseneck to within 350lbs of the total payload capacity, and you couldn't carry two passengers without being overloaded, either. I could substitute any truck with that same scenario. It's pure BS and shows the anti-Nissan slant the guys at tfl have, for whatever reason. They're one of only a couple of outlets doing comparisons and showing a bunch of negatives, and getting terrible mileage, and so forth. It's a biased review, just on the face of it.

How about they take the same view of the Silverado (14 braking events downhill, and they didn't count the last one, compared to a diesel with no exhaust brake needing only 9??????) and they talk about the need to distribute weight (all the water, etc.) to the axles in the trailer and they had to move ballast around to adjust the tongue weight. Hmmm...sounds familiar. They loaded it up with below max trailer weight (to be fair to all trucks, they used a flat 9000lbs). How about we do what they did with the XD and load it up to max, and then whine about not being able to carry the third guy because they're at max GCWR. The rest of the runs with big-3 trucks are treated similarly. But with the XD, they complain about the stuff for which they make excuses with the others. It's a biased, slanted load of horse crap.

Reactions: JLG7820

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the XD, and may consider one in the future. The way TFL does the IKE Gauntlet now as far as scoring is different vs. when they did the Gen 1 T. I was impressed with how well the Gen 1 Titan did slightly overloaded. For an "old" truck, it was still able to compete with the newest trucks (If it wasn't for that damn Caddy in the beginning, the Gen 1 Titan could have picked up more speed at the start). The XD seems to do just fine for what most would use it for, it's just expensive as far as value goes since the BIG Three are always doing incentives on there HD trucks-at least to me. But, some poking around the 'net seems to indicate the XD is beautifully finished and the interior is top notch. I wonder how well an XD would do with a bump in power on the Cummins and airbags on the rear? I am currently very happy with how my 2015 Titan performs, but I must say that Blue Pearl color XD PRO-4X does get me thinking once in a while....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
That's a load of crap. I could take your F250, load up a gooseneck to within 350lbs of the total payload capacity, and you couldn't carry two passengers without being overloaded, either. I could substitute any truck with that same scenario. It's pure BS and shows the anti-Nissan slant the guys at tfl have, for whatever reason. They're one of only a couple of outlets doing comparisons and showing a bunch of negatives, and getting terrible mileage, and so forth. It's a biased review, just on the face of it.

How about they take the same view of the Silverado (14 braking events downhill, and they didn't count the last one, compared to a diesel with no exhaust brake needing only 9??????) and they talk about the need to distribute weight (all the water, etc.) to the axles in the trailer and they had to move ballast around to adjust the tongue weight. Hmmm...sounds familiar. They loaded it up with below max trailer weight (to be fair to all trucks, they used a flat 9000lbs). How about we do what they did with the XD and load it up to max, and then whine about not being able to carry the third guy because they're at max GCWR. The rest of the runs with big-3 trucks are treated similarly. But with the XD, they complain about the stuff for which they make excuses with the others. It's a biased, slanted load of horse crap.
Want some cheese with that wine?
TFL isn't trying to discredit your coveted XD. They actually tried to give it an advantage, by using it's nifty little gooseneck hitch. But what they, and Nissan didn't take into account, was that the payload is so low, it makes the hitch worthless. I'm all for making sure a load is positioned correctly on the trailer, but having to position, and reposition for hours 3 4wheelers and some cinder blocks, that's a joke. Maxing out your entire gooseneck hitch with that load is a joke.

If TFL is so biased, why did they make the 2014 Titan, a 12 year old design, look so good, in comparison. Or maybe it just looked good by default, because TFL wanted to sandbag to make the ecoboost(which beat the XD up the pass, by over a minute) look so damn good. Or were they trying to prop up the chevy 6.2 that not only beat the XD's time, but also came pretty close to it's fuel mileage.

Two trends keep coming up. 1. No matter who posts criticisms of the XD, you guys want to bag on me, and 2. You keep wanting to bring my truck into the mix. Does someone have d!ck envy?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Okay, wise-arse, as I've said, I don't care what you drive. I had an F250, put 100k on it, and am not driving it anymore on purpose. But you're welcome to drive what you want. I don't envy you in any capacity, I can assure you.

As for the comparison, I didn't bring it up. I was responding to your inane comments about a clearly biased review group, who uses different criteria for this one truck than they do for all others in their tests, and then complains about this truck while they praise other trucks for the things they complain about with the XD. It's so clearly a bias, it's not even funny how you're too blind to see it.

And I don't particularly care for the XD. I likely won't ever own one. The nose is too big for my taste, and it looks too much like a pregnant whale in my view. So I'm not a fanboy of any type on this truck. But I've owned trucks all my life, from mini-trucks to the biggest of the big, and I've driven every brand out there enough to know something about trucks. I've driven empty, fully loaded, with no towing, towing max weight, and in a few cases, towing overweight (back when I was young and dumb). I've towed vehicles on flatbeds and in enclosed haulers. I've towed boats from 12 to 33 feet, and on single, tandem, and triple axle trailers. I've towed small square bales stacked higher than I should have, and I've towed more big round bales than folks thought we could strap on a loboy. I've even driven trucks for a living, which required me to have additional licensing and DOT physicals and the like, and I've towed a loader on a triple axle loboy behind a double axle dump, too. So I know more than a little about trucks and towing, and I know more than a little about how folks might use a truck and how one might be well suited or poorly suited to the task.

I also make my living now working in a field with a high level of rigor in comparisons and testing methods.

What they guys at tfl are doing is slanting their tests. I don't know why, but here's how they're slanting them:

MPG tests at a higher speed with the XD than any other trucks they tested.
MPG tests in dramatically colder (30-50deg colder) temps than any other truck they tested.
Towing tests at max capacity, where with other trucks they use a flat 9k round figure which is anywhere from several hundred to maybe a thousand pounds below max capacity for the truck(s).
Complaining about 9 braking events with the XD, while praising other trucks with more braking events, and outright stating they're not going to count all the braking events in those tests.

I could list more, but I'm sure you're not really listening at this point.

Now, as a comparison, several other legitimate, well-known, longstanding testing groups have also tested the XD. In several instances, they've tested it far longer than, and more thoroughly, than your beloved tfl guys. And they've used a higher level of rigor in their testing. And those testing groups have universally come up with similar numbers to one another, but different numbers than the non-rigorous testing done by tfl.

I don't want an XD, and I've never wanted one, since first seeing the new style. I'll stick with my 2011 until it starts costing me more than it's worth to fix it. But the fact remains that tfl is an unreliable source in terms of testing results, based on the facts at hand. The things I listed above are facts, not my opinion, in terms of how they slanted their testing to be different for the XD than other trucks. You don't have to like the XD, or the facts above, but there is absolutely no argument that tfl is a joke testing group, and their opinion is worth the same as yours or mine, and isn't backed up by facts, or at least not by equitable, repeatable facts.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Want some cheese with that wine?
TFL isn't trying to discredit your coveted XD. They actually tried to give it an advantage, by using it's nifty little gooseneck hitch. But what they, and Nissan didn't take into account, was that the payload is so low, it makes the hitch worthless. I'm all for making sure a load is positioned correctly on the trailer, but having to position, and reposition for hours 3 4wheelers and some cinder blocks, that's a joke. Maxing out your entire gooseneck hitch with that load is a joke.

If TFL is so biased, why did they make the 2014 Titan, a 12 year old design, look so good, in comparison. Or maybe it just looked good by default, because TFL wanted to sandbag to make the ecoboost(which beat the XD up the pass, by over a minute) look so damn good. Or were they trying to prop up the chevy 6.2 that not only beat the XD's time, but also came pretty close to it's fuel mileage.

Two trends keep coming up. 1. No matter who posts criticisms of the XD, you guys want to bag on me, and 2. You keep wanting to bring my truck into the mix. Does someone have d!ck envy?
The joke is the goose neck trailer they used, it's to long of one for this truck with axles way to far back. You can get goose necks that are a little more balanced than this one so you can load the trailer easier and balance it out far easier. The one they use, not sure I would want on a 3/4 ton truck, it's more of a full 1 ton setup. It's just a really bad trailer setup for the truck and it's not because it's a gooseneck.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Okay, wise-arse, as I've said, I don't care what you drive. I had an F250, put 100k on it, and am not driving it anymore on purpose. But you're welcome to drive what you want. I don't envy you in any capacity, I can assure you.

As for the comparison, I didn't bring it up. I was responding to your inane comments about a clearly biased review group, who uses different criteria for this one truck than they do for all others in their tests, and then complains about this truck while they praise other trucks for the things they complain about with the XD. It's so clearly a bias, it's not even funny how you're too blind to see it.

And I don't particularly care for the XD. I likely won't ever own one. The nose is too big for my taste, and it looks too much like a pregnant whale in my view. So I'm not a fanboy of any type on this truck. But I've owned trucks all my life, from mini-trucks to the biggest of the big, and I've driven every brand out there enough to know something about trucks. I've driven empty, fully loaded, with no towing, towing max weight, and in a few cases, towing overweight (back when I was young and dumb). I've towed vehicles on flatbeds and in enclosed haulers. I've towed boats from 12 to 33 feet, and on single, tandem, and triple axle trailers. I've towed small square bales stacked higher than I should have, and I've towed more big round bales than folks thought we could strap on a loboy. I've even driven trucks for a living, which required me to have additional licensing and DOT physicals and the like, and I've towed a loader on a triple axle loboy behind a double axle dump, too. So I know more than a little about trucks and towing, and I know more than a little about how folks might use a truck and how one might be well suited or poorly suited to the task.

I also make my living now working in a field with a high level of rigor in comparisons and testing methods.

What they guys at tfl are doing is slanting their tests. I don't know why, but here's how they're slanting them:

MPG tests at a higher speed with the XD than any other trucks they tested.
MPG tests in dramatically colder (30-50deg colder) temps than any other truck they tested.
Towing tests at max capacity, where with other trucks they use a flat 9k round figure which is anywhere from several hundred to maybe a thousand pounds below max capacity for the truck(s).
Complaining about 9 braking events with the XD, while praising other trucks with more braking events, and outright stating they're not going to count all the braking events in those tests.

I could list more, but I'm sure you're not really listening at this point.

Now, as a comparison, several other legitimate, well-known, longstanding testing groups have also tested the XD. In several instances, they've tested it far longer than, and more thoroughly, than your beloved tfl guys. And they've used a higher level of rigor in their testing. And those testing groups have universally come up with similar numbers to one another, but different numbers than the non-rigorous testing done by tfl.

I don't want an XD, and I've never wanted one, since first seeing the new style. I'll stick with my 2011 until it starts costing me more than it's worth to fix it. But the fact remains that tfl is an unreliable source in terms of testing results, based on the facts at hand. The things I listed above are facts, not my opinion, in terms of how they slanted their testing to be different for the XD than other trucks. You don't have to like the XD, or the facts above, but there is absolutely no argument that tfl is a joke testing group, and their opinion is worth the same as yours or mine, and isn't backed up by facts, or at least not by equitable, repeatable facts.
Show me a study where they maxed out the gooseneck provision on this truck. They've ran the 1/2 tons again at 10,800lbs. The numbers are there. Performance wise, the XD isn't adding up. And the reason they're penalizing the XD for breaking, is that all the other diesels have exhaust brakes, and don't require use of the Manuel brakes, that often, on that stretch. So you don't think they should test that sort of thing? But beyond that, most of what I've heard is them praising the XD. They're not outright comparing it to anything. But the numbers are there. There's uninformed people out there that are going to buy this truck, thinking it can handle an HD workload. And the morons at Nissan are going to go right along with them because they themselves believe the hype.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The joke is the goose neck trailer they used, it's to long of one for this truck with axles way to far back. You can get goose necks that are a little more balanced than this one so you can load the trailer easier and balance it out far easier. The one they use, not sure I would want on a 3/4 ton truck, it's more of a full 1 ton setup. It's just a really bad trailer setup for the truck and it's not because it's a gooseneck.
Oh, that's right. I forgot that the XD was only supposed to pull the little 20ft trailer with ac ducting pipes from the commercial. They should give you that exact setup with the truck, so you can pull it around and pretend you're doing real work. Come to the south and see what people use gooseneck trailers for. I would love to have that trailer in their video.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh, that's right. I forgot that the XD was only supposed to pull the little 20ft trailer with ac ducting pipes from the commercial. They should give you that exact setup with the truck, so you can pull it around and pretend you're doing real work. Come to the south and see what people use gooseneck trailers for. I would love to have that trailer in their video.
A 20ft goose neck is about what I got now, perfect for hauling around a tractor on occasion and for seed and fertilizer in the spring. My trailer axles are just slightly behind center the center line of the deck, so easy to balance out the load, that is the problem with their trailer setup, axle appears to be way to far back making balancing out difficult.

Don't act like people in the south are the only people who work, there are a lot of farmers in the North use their trucks to actually work.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Did I read it wrong or did the XD out perform all of the gassers in towing mpg on the Ike and do it quicker than all but the least efficient 3.5L Ecoboost? All that while being the heaviest most stable of the platforms tested.

You realize the max gooseneck to rating for a Powerstroke F350 CC 4x4 SRW is only around 15k lbs right? The max for bumper tow is 14k.

The payloads for that same equipped F350 can be from 3440-4060 lbs. 10% is actually a light tongue weight seeing as most campers like to be at 15%.

So the big HD's gain 2-3k lbs of trailer over the XD and gain 1440-2060lbs of payload depending on how equipped. Not earth shattering.

FWIW lets all just be honest here. 99% of us overload the heck out of our current Titans, so lets no be all prissy and PC about what the manufacturer rates them as one of the 10 Commandments.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
A 20ft goose neck is about what I got now, perfect for hauling around a tractor on occasion and for seed and fertilizer in the spring. My trailer axles are just slightly behind center the center line of the deck, so easy to balance out the load, that is the problem with their trailer setup, axle appears to be way to far back making balancing out difficult.

Don't act like people in the south are the only people who work, there are a lot of farmers in the North use their trucks to actually work.

I hope these Northern farmers did more research than the ones here in MS.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Like others have said, the XD seems to be about 1,000lbs to heavy. What's the point of the of having the heavy frame if you don't have the payload to handle heavy weight unless Nissan is planning on adding bigger axles and suspension in the future and maybe offer a true 3/4 and 1 ton truck.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Did I read it wrong or did the XD out perform all of the gassers in towing mpg on the Ike and do it quicker than all but the least efficient 3.5L Ecoboost? All that while being the heaviest most stable of the platforms tested.

You realize the max gooseneck to rating for a Powerstroke F350 CC 4x4 SRW is only around 15k lbs right? The max for bumper tow is 14k.

The payloads for that same equipped F350 can be from 3440-4060 lbs. 10% is actually a light tongue weight seeing as most campers like to be at 15%.

So the big HD's gain 2-3k lbs of trailer over the XD and gain 1440-2060lbs of payload depending on how equipped. Not earth shattering.

FWIW lets all just be honest here. 99% of us overload the heck out of our current Titans, so lets no be all prissy and PC about what the manufacturer rates them as one of the 10 Commandments.
You did in fact read it wrong. The 6.2 had a quicker time and got close to the XD'S fuel mileage. But honestly I don't take anything you say with much thought. Remember, you actually thought the XD weighed 8900lbs. Basically, everything you know about trucks is what you've researched on the Internet just to argue. I guess it was good for you, to learn something. But discussing this with you is like talking my computer. If I wanted your facts that only prove the XD is inferior, I would look them up myself.

But for a last tidbit of info, the F250 is rated at a little over 15,000, not the F350. And you don't even want to start comparing these again.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I agree. The whole gooseneck thing is a waste. Sweet 3 quads! I was hoping for a gooseneck and a small tractor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts