Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an XE 4x2 thinking it was the perfect truck for me, I wanted the bench seat, didn't want floor console, didn't want utilitrack, and didn't want tow, or off road to save on gas. I added the 18s and SE rims, as well as the side moldings. The only other thing that I needed to complete my masterpiece was the bad *** fog lights that... Nissan said were "available for all Titans". Or so I thought.....
I have now been told by Nissan corporate and my dealer that this can't happen. They told me that the 4x2 XE is the only model that has a different wiring harness that is not already set up for fogs.

If you are planning on purchasing a Titan, please be careful who you believe when it comes to add ons.

I was assured at the time of my purchase that this was no problem. Now Nissan corporate is saying that they made a mistake, That it was a misprint that they sent out to all of their dealers around the country which said you could do this.
The response Corporate and my Stealer have given to me is "tough luck, you screwed up you trusted us.... in so many words...

Now, I'm stuck, they have refused to help me, but I still want to add fogs, but have been led to believe by the guys in service that I can't wire them into the parking lights or the regular headlights because all the other lights go through the computer and this will screw it up.

If there is anybody out there who can offer any realistic suggestions on how to install fogs as daytime running lights, or with a seperate switch without causing any problems? I'm seriously frustrated right now. Please help.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It is not all that hard, so don't worry.
First, most of your local off road shops will have a relay based switch for off road lights. I suggest the relay type because I have melted switches before. After that, follow the instructions in the kit you will be just fine.

if you want always on, just wire the "hot" side to any open fuse box accessory location that is only on when the vehicle is on. Use a volt meter and test around the fuse box for a hot lead only when the vehicle is on. Cross reference and make sure that if the fuse blows, you will still be able to operate the vehicle safely. The other side goes to ground (any bare metal location on the truck).

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You can get a wiring harness for driving lights with a relay very cheap, maybe $10 - 15 or something like that. I think even Wal-mart has them.

You have an available switch blank at the lower left of the driver's lower dash panel. You can fish wires for the switch through the hood release cable grommet in the firewall using a coat hanger. You can easily wire the power wire directly to the screw terminal on the battery and use an in-line fuse holder.

Now you think you have lemons, but you can make lemonade, as you will have these advantages over the "ordinary" Titans with fog lights:

1. You can run them without the headlights on as daytime running lights.

2. You can run them with the brights on (factory fog lights turn off when you put the high beams on).

Cheer up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bestatchess said:
You can get a wiring harness for driving lights with a relay very cheap, maybe $10 - 15 or something like that. I think even Wal-mart has them.

You have an available switch blank at the lower left of the driver's lower dash panel. You can fish wires for the switch through the hood release cable grommet in the firewall using a coat hanger. You can easily wire the power wire directly to the screw terminal on the battery and use an in-line fuse holder.

Now you think you have lemons, but you can make lemonade, as you will have these advantages over the "ordinary" Titans with fog lights:

1. You can run them without the headlights on as daytime running lights.

2. You can run them with the brights on (factory fog lights turn off when you put the high beams on).

Cheer up!

Bestatchess,

Thanks,
I appreciate your help. I'm headin to Wmart tis after and check it out. Now the one thing left to figure out is where to get the female jacks that connect the Nissan fogs? anyone?.... Bueller?....anyone?...

·
Registered
104 Posts
TiDan said:
Bestatchess,

Thanks,
I appreciate your help. I'm headin to Wmart tis after and check it out. Now the one thing left to figure out is where to get the female jacks that connect the Nissan fogs? anyone?.... Bueller?....anyone?...
You can find a pair underneath the front of most SE & LE Titans without fog lights. :eyebrow:

I would check with an auto parts store or Nissan. I can't imagine they are custom.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You can see an example wiring harness at www.painlesswiring.com

AUXILIARY LIGHT RELAY KIT
#30803 - Install extra driving or fog lights easily and properly with our Auxiliary Light Relay Kit. Switch can be wired to turn lights on per state law requirements: Low beams & auxiliary lights, Highbeams & auxiliary lights, Auxiliary light operation only. Complete kit includes lighted switch, wiring harness, 30 amp relay and terminals.

I am attaching the photo.

Maybe the connector on the harness fits the Nissan connector on the fog lights?

Also, I don't know how big that switch is. It would be nice if it fit the switch blank hole in the Titan dash. If not you can buy the switch from the dealer, but I hear they want like $40 for just one stupid switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you install the Nissan Fog Light Kit (for XE/SW w/o Off Road Pkg) ? I am ordering an XE and was going to install the foglights after delivery.

According to

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=999F1-A6000

"Simply remove the two front bumper trim finishers that cover the fog light holes, install the fog lights and plug into the existing pre-wired connectors. Then replace your turn signal switch with the new switch to add the fog light control, and your ready to go."

You are saying these connectors don't exist? That would really suck!

·
Registered
232 Posts
XE KC :hellno:

XE CC or SE or LE :cheers:

my0my0my said:
Did you install the Nissan Fog Light Kit (for XE/SW w/o Off Road Pkg) ? I am ordering an XE and was going to install the foglights after delivery.

According to

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=999F1-A6000

"Simply remove the two front bumper trim finishers that cover the fog light holes, install the fog lights and plug into the existing pre-wired connectors. Then replace your turn signal switch with the new switch to add the fog light control, and your ready to go."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You hit the nail on the head, That would really suck....

If you purchase an XE either KC or CC w/o 4x4 you can not add fog lamps as easily as everyone else. Because the plugs needed to install them do not exist on your truck. You will have to use a seperate switch as described by Bestatchess above.

On all other models of the Titan the wiring harness already exists for the fog lights, it is a matter of pluging them in to existing pllugs right behind the covers, and attaching a new turn indicator stalk, which is included with the lights.
I went to PEP boys today and found several wiring harnesses that should work fine. (Thanks for the direction boys). So hopefully this won't be too difficult. It looks like there are only two screws holding on the lower portion of the dash so I should have easy access to the switch bank. I am going to the dealer tomorrow and try to get them to throw in the $40.00 switch, when I buy the lights. I think its' the least they can do....

If your shopping for an XE look underneath the bumper for the plugs. They are taped to a bundle of wire that loops right behind the fog covers. If they are there.... I found out the hard way mine weren't....

Other differences on the XE include no courtesy lights on the bottom of the doors, and no power mirrors. If you want those touches you should be looking at a base SE.

I wish I had examined it a little closer before I got mine, however the money I saved by going with the XE was tough to ignore. Besides that I couldn't find an SE that had a bench, and no utilitrak system.

I will have the truck I wanted, its just gonna take some more work.....

Hope this helps, and isn't too late....

my0my0my said:

According to

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Courtesy Nissan web site is wrong, sorry... check underneath any XE that isn't a 4x4, you'll see what I mean. I have an XE CC. 4x2.

my0my0my said:

According to

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought somebody in one of the other threads about this subject said the XE Crew Cab had the standard harness, only the XE King Cab required after market wiring. :upsidedow

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Man, That's not the case. The only XE with the female plugs in the harness is the 4x4. Mines a Crew cab. To make sure, I climbed under about ten different trucks at the dealership....

geece1 said:
I thought somebody in one of the other threads about this subject said the XE Crew Cab had the standard harness, only the XE King Cab required after market wiring. :upsidedow

·
Registered
93 Posts
That bites! I have to order an XE CC since Nissan in it's infinite wisdom won't allow me to purchase an SE with bench seat AND curtain airbags. I have to get the airbags to please my wife (first time the new car's for me after almost 20 years ... yipee .. I feel like a kid). Anyway I was planning on tricking her up, I guess I will have to modify like you .. oh well. Please post how it goes and any photos if possible. I go to order my next week, so it won't be until June till I try this project..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's something that really baffled me when I started this whole process. I've never had a Nissan before, and when I started looking I found out that in order to get one thing on the truck you had to order a whole slew of other things. The wierdest one was in order to get the side airbags you had to order the off road package, like the only time your gonna need those side airbags is when your out in the woods.... The next thing was the bench seat thing. I couldn't find one SE CC in Florida Georgia, or Alabama that had a bench seat, but no problem finding an XE, This was 2 months ago, may be different now... Just thought the whole bait and switch thing with some of the so called options was a little strange to say the least... In the end I'm happy with the truck I got, just unhappy with how they handled the mistake they made. I'll keep you posted on my light progress...

my0my0my said:
That bites! I have to order an XE CC since Nissan in it's infinite wisdom won't allow me to purchase an SE with bench seat AND curtain airbags. I have to get the airbags to please my wife (first time the new car's for me after almost 20 years ... yipee .. I feel like a kid). Anyway I was planning on tricking her up, I guess I will have to modify like you .. oh well. Please post how it goes and any photos if possible. I go to order my next week, so it won't be until June till I try this project..

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you want a bench seat AND side curtain airbags the XE is the ONLY model this is possible in (and of course what is ordered ... today by the way .. yippee ... and the wait ... sigh). I really wanted the SE CC, but I will just have to modify and aftermarket to get there. As regards XEs with bench and side airbag availability there is only 1 on any lot in the Southeast (White XE CC bedliner, bed extender). That XE is a a dealer in Warner-Robbins, GA. So I guess this is just not a hot combination. I bet someone could make an at or below invoice deal on that truck. Anyway. I just waiting for mine now.

Have you tried to locate or install the side molding (door guards) that come with the SE/LE but not the XE? I would like to install them if I can locate them and figure out what is involved.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
For the moulding..I answered someone on this once as far as the install of it. The moulding itself is like $180+ dollars from Nissan. I forget which site I pointed him to for some 'alternatives'...do a search on moulding.

Chris

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Fog light fix for XE

TiDan said:
I purchased an XE 4x2 thinking it was the perfect truck for me, I wanted the bench seat, didn't want floor console, didn't want utilitrack, and didn't want tow, or off road to save on gas. I added the 18s and SE rims, as well as the side moldings. The only other thing that I needed to complete my masterpiece was the bad *** fog lights that... Nissan said were "available for all Titans". Or so I thought.....
I have now been told by Nissan corporate and my dealer that this can't happen. They told me that the 4x2 XE is the only model that has a different wiring harness that is not already set up for fogs.

If you are planning on purchasing a Titan, please be careful who you believe when it comes to add ons.

I was assured at the time of my purchase that this was no problem. Now Nissan corporate is saying that they made a mistake, That it was a misprint that they sent out to all of their dealers around the country which said you could do this.
The response Corporate and my Stealer have given to me is "tough luck, you screwed up you trusted us.... in so many words...

Now, I'm stuck, they have refused to help me, but I still want to add fogs, but have been led to believe by the guys in service that I can't wire them into the parking lights or the regular headlights because all the other lights go through the computer and this will screw it up.

If there is anybody out there who can offer any realistic suggestions on how to install fogs as daytime running lights, or with a seperate switch without causing any problems? I'm seriously frustrated right now. Please help.
NO WORRIES DUDE!!! I have the same model with the same problem, only I bought the NIssan light kit from parts dept. and found out the hard way.
USE THE FACTORY FOG LIGHT KIT!!!
Just go down to radio shack and get 12-GA lamp wire, clear insulator is best, and also get some 1/4 or 3/8 Split Loom (plastic ribbed tubing that is split on one side). Wire them in parallel directly to the battery positive using a ring terminal, hide the wires with the split loom (totally looks factory) and break the ground wire in the cab with a small toggle switch also from radio shack. I bought a BLACK plastic switch, and popped out one of those blank covers on the left side of the steering wheel that is used if you have the "PEDAL ADJUSTMENT" option or the "BACK UP SENSOR OFF" switch. if you have KC XE these will be blank and empty. Pop one out and drill a small hole big enough for the switch of your choice and put the blank cover back in. Now the switch is installed in the plug that you weren't using on XE any ways, and you didnt have to make a hole in your dash or stick on some funky looking buttons. Looks factory too.
HERES THE GREAT PART!! Titans with the fogs from factory can ONLY use them with the headlamps on. You can use them ANYTIME YOU WANT!!

The factory fogs fit the best, are already angled for the curve in the bumper to be perfectly aligned for angle and height, are adjustable for beam height, and you can replace the bulbs with standard XENON replacements for that "HID" look.
Install took about 2 hours, mostly because of getting the wire into the split loom and feeding the wire around under the grill to make it invisible. If you need help with any of the details, email me. I can also take some pics to clarify any confusion. The install is very simple and looks OEM, thats why I didn't go with aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As to the side mouldings yes, I ordered them thru my dealer, the cost was about $63.00 per section, plus labor. They claimed they are giving me a deal at $400.00 for everything.
The side moulding comes to them with a primer coat on it, and the dealer will paint to match. So you can't really buy it from somebody online, unless you can get them to paint them for you, or you go to your dealer with somebody elses parts....good luck.....
I looked around at various options for moulding. The only aftermarket that looks nice is the stuff that has the bullet ends, but the widest they make it is 2 inches, the Nissan factory stuff is 3 1/4 inches. I could have had the aftermarket stuff done for about $100 but in the end I thought it would look slapped together, and like you I want the factory look.

Hope this helps.

my0my0my said:
If you want a bench seat AND side curtain airbags the XE is the ONLY model this is possible in (and of course what is ordered ... today by the way .. yippee ... and the wait ... sigh). I really wanted the SE CC, but I will just have to modify and aftermarket to get there. As regards XEs with bench and side airbag availability there is only 1 on any lot in the Southeast (White XE CC bedliner, bed extender). That XE is a a dealer in Warner-Robbins, GA. So I guess this is just not a hot combination. I bet someone could make an at or below invoice deal on that truck. Anyway. I just waiting for mine now.

Have you tried to locate or install the side molding (door guards) that come with the SE/LE but not the XE? I would like to install them if I can locate them and figure out what is involved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Man, Thanks for the informative explanation, its nice to know I'm not alone in this adventure. I will probably take you up on the details, and it seems like others would benefit as well.
I have one question for you now though.. What did you do for the Pigtails that connect to the back of the factory lights? Tried one large autoparts place, and no luck. If you can provide a manufacturer, and part number that would be great. Thanks

pciley said:
NO WORRIES DUDE!!! I have the same model with the same problem, only I bought the NIssan light kit from parts dept. and found out the hard way.
USE THE FACTORY FOG LIGHT KIT!!!
Just go down to radio shack and get 12-GA lamp wire, clear insulator is best, and also get some 1/4 or 3/8 Split Loom (plastic ribbed tubing that is split on one side). Wire them in parallel directly to the battery positive using a ring terminal, hide the wires with the split loom (totally looks factory) and break the ground wire in the cab with a small toggle switch also from radio shack. I bought a BLACK plastic switch, and popped out one of those blank covers on the left side of the steering wheel that is used if you have the "PEDAL ADJUSTMENT" option or the "BACK UP SENSOR OFF" switch. if you have KC XE these will be blank and empty. Pop one out and drill a small hole big enough for the switch of your choice and put the blank cover back in. Now the switch is installed in the plug that you weren't using on XE any ways, and you didnt have to make a hole in your dash or stick on some funky looking buttons. Looks factory too.
HERES THE GREAT PART!! Titans with the fogs from factory can ONLY use them with the headlamps on. You can use them ANYTIME YOU WANT!!

The factory fogs fit the best, are already angled for the curve in the bumper to be perfectly aligned for angle and height, are adjustable for beam height, and you can replace the bulbs with standard XENON replacements for that "HID" look.
Install took about 2 hours, mostly because of getting the wire into the split loom and feeding the wire around under the grill to make it invisible. If you need help with any of the details, email me. I can also take some pics to clarify any confusion. The install is very simple and looks OEM, thats why I didn't go with aftermarket lights.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
my0my0my said:
If you want to get these door moldings, I can sell the to you for $217.32 for a full UNPAINTED set for the CC. If you need them painted, then I can talk to my body shop for you and get a price!! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts