Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to purchase an '08 Titan but stuck between which trim to buy. My family recently purchased a 30' TT that weighs 5500 lbs. The dealer I am working with has a XE with the factory XE Preferred, Tow and Trac Packages installed. They also have a SE with nothing but are willing to put the Tow on.

They can sell me the SE for the same price for the XE even with the tow added. I know the SE has more amenities but I am worried about not having the factory tow.

A few questions:
What is involved with installing the tow package at the dealer? Are they able to adjust the gear ratio or is that some only done at the factory? I did notice a Tow Mode button in the SE. Is that something just installed stock in all Titans? Is the Trac package something I might need with the weight of the trailer as well?
Thanks for the advice in advance.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
OK the double post due to TT taking foreeeeeeever

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I'd go SE...for your situation (towing the TT) you'll be fine. If it were me, if I got the XE I'd eventually regret it (cue all the XE guys flaming me!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would go with SE as well, but ultimately it's what's best for you.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
You can't add the big tow package, you can only install the hitch. The non big tow has a lower towing rating, no trans temp. gauge , tow mirrors, gears etc. Make sure you understand what's what and make a well informed decision.

Clint

·
Registered
591 Posts
You didn't mention 2wd or 4wd? Crew Cab or King Cab? Prices??The Crew Cab XE has power package where the King Cab XE DOES not... Big drawback for most folks. The King Cab/Crew Cab SE has power stuff and some extras the XE can't get. They (SE) have the chrome trim some like...My first Titan was an '04 XE Crew Cab and I didn't regret it.
One thing to remember. There will ALWAYS be a Titan with the package you want somewhere. The rebates will still be around to deal off price. Don't settle for an expensive mistake. Don't be pressured to 'buy today' from the dealer. Wait for the right truck and the right price. The dealer can bring you a truck from another dealer by transfer. Make them work for you at the price you want. My .02.:upsidedow

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Unfortunately all the salesman wants is to make a sale and if you buy something that's not going to fit your needs he's not the one living with the consequences. Take your time and don't let anyone push you into a decision. The members in here won't steer you wrong so hang out learn all you can. I know I did before buying mine.

Clint

·
Premium Member
58,642 Posts
I’d be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that your dealer is feeding you a load of bull. They probably only intend to put a hitch on the SE.
The tow package has different gears. I doubt they have any intention of changing your pumpkin. Even if they do I don’t think they can reset your ECU so that your speedo would read correctly.
The tow package has a tranny temp gauge. Unless they intend to pull your dash, they are not going to put one in.
The tow package also has wiring relays for your trailer hook up that you will need.
Your TT is getting close to the limit for a non BT Titan. By the time you add water, fuel, and the assorted stuff that goes with a TT you will likely be over the limit for a non BT Titan. The SE has some nice features but they won’t do you any good if you can’t pull the TT that you intend to. If it has to be between those two trucks, I’d get the XE with the BT package because I wouldn’t try to add the tow package to the SE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
niceun said:
You didn't mention 2wd or 4wd? Crew Cab or King Cab? Prices??The Crew Cab XE has power package where the King Cab XE DOES not... Big drawback for most folks. The King Cab/Crew Cab SE has power stuff and some extras the XE can't get. They (SE) have the chrome trim some like...My first Titan was an '04 XE Crew Cab and I didn't regret it.
One thing to remember. There will ALWAYS be a Titan with the package you want somewhere. The rebates will still be around to deal off price. Don't settle for an expensive mistake. Don't be pressured to 'buy today' from the dealer. Wait for the right truck and the right price. The dealer can bring you a truck from another dealer by transfer. Make them work for you at the price you want. My .02.:upsidedow
I am looking at Crew Cab in both XE and SE. The offer as it stands now is:
MSRP for both: 30,600. Both are going for 22,000 after rebates and other offers, stack on my upside down on my trade: 27,000. Out the door: $29,000.

Thanks for the advice on being patient. They are offering the rebates till Jan of '08 so waiting it out might work. I also agree on the holding out till I get what I want.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
If you go with the SE, all they'll add is the tow hitch. You'll be missing the tow mirrors, tranny temp guage, heavy duty battery, and the lower gear ratio for towing. You can get away with that SE with just the hitch as long as you stick to that 5500 LB TT. But most of us TT owners tend to move up to bigger and better over time. With that SE, you'll be stuck having to keep it around 7k LBs loaded.
I'm not one for the XEs but I'd look around for an SE with at least the tow package...but that's just me. So either truck will do for now but you'll either want to tow something bigger if you get the SE, or you'll want more goodies than the XE has....either way, you're screwed...lol.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Skip that SE, the XE with Pref Pkg and BT is better for you if only considering the 2. It has most of the stuff an SE has, but would lack the tow mirrors. It was perfect for me.

Now, force the dealer to get in what you want, it's a big country here. You are not limited to what they have. for 30K, buy what is right, not what they have. My truck came from 100 miles away, the salesman himself, went and picked it up. It was exactly what I told him I wanted, he did not try to put me in something I did not want, though he did show me an SE.

I think you really want an SE with BT, since the big mirrors are a huge safety advantage, and possibly it's version of Pref Pkg. Keep looking.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i bought an SE with no b.t. package i had a hitch installed but later found out about the relays needed for the lights to work cost another $60.00 at the stealership for 2 dang relays if u wanna tow bigger one day im with hudsonvalley go with the big tow whatever you do they can find you one is the price range you want

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
My recommendation...

You definately want to get one with the Big Tow package, it is well worth the money IMO. However, I would wait it out and get the SE with the Big Tow. If you don't mind waiting, ask the dealer about adding exactly what you want to his next order from the factory for you(they will usually do this with a minimal deposit). Make sure you get in writing that the terms would stay very similar.

Also, hop in Nissan's website, you can search other dealer's inventories in your area and if they are a little too far away your dealer should be able to make a simple swap to get the vehicle from the other location.

The bottom line is to get exactly what you want so you don't regret it a couple years down the road.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
If it were me, I'd try to locate an SE with the Tow package.

·
Registered
446 Posts
BigA said:
If it were me, I'd try to locate an SE with the Tow package.
I agree. Get SE with tow package. Spread over 60 months, it should only cost you about $20-30/month more at most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I took the plunge and couldn't be happier with my XE CC with BT, Perf Pak, Trac Pack, and spray bed-liner. I was able to get the truck I want for the price I wanted. I did take a trip to Nissan's site and searched other dealers in the Tampa area and found some SE's in town but we were not able to get the type of deal I wanted.

I traded in my '06 Chevy TrailBlazer and what I call UPGRADED to a better truck! I'm new to the Titan and I'm looking forward to many trips with my family, travel trailer and NEW TITAN!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Congrats and GoodLuck!!!!

I got exactly what I needed and wanted for LESS than I was willing to pay back in '04. It's not a BT, but with the same gearing (offroad package) I'm just fine pulling the bigger stuff. The truck was sitting on a lot about 75 miles away and my dealer got it for me. I added the Nissan hitch and a brake controller. It was easy with the help I got here. You won't regret getting the 'big-tow'.

Just one question, what is this 'Trac-PacK' option? What's included with it? I've never heard of it before.

Thanks.

Chief

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CHEIF said:
Congrats and GoodLuck!!!!

I got exactly what I needed and wanted for LESS than I was willing to pay back in '04. It's not a BT, but with the same gearing (offroad package) I'm just fine pulling the bigger stuff. The truck was sitting on a lot about 75 miles away and my dealer got it for me. I added the Nissan hitch and a brake controller. It was easy with the help I got here. You won't regret getting the 'big-tow'.

Just one question, what is this 'Trac-PacK' option? What's included with it? I've never heard of it before.

Thanks.

Chief
It adds 2-wheel Limited Slip (ABLS).

Thanks and I hope to add photo soon,
Robert

1 - 20 of 20 Posts