Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unable to order the SE/utilibed/airbag combo, :crying: so I had to settle for an XE without the utilibed. I noticed however that the XE bed is pre-drilled and tapped in the same bed locations which correspond to the position of the utili-track channels on the SE. I queried Nissan and at first they seemed to indicate a particular assembly number could be ordered to meet my needs, then they said the SE Utilibed and the standard XE bed were structurally different. I find this a little hard to swallow considering the XE bed is dimensionally the same and is drilled as I have indicated above.

Has anybody else heard of a structural difference between the beds, or attempted in install utili-track channels in an XE.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
My dealer mentioned that you could not upgrade due to structural differences. I found it hard to believe as well but maybe not now that you also heard it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
One structural difference is that chinsy little side box. They could have left that off as far as I am concerned. I think it will be a problem area (already is according to some posts I've read). They may have beefed up some areas for the track anchoring though, then again, maybe they want to maximize profit by selling the package. You should be able to check underneath the bed of one with and one without and see if there is a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Nissan says they have beefed up the bed to make it stronger for the Utilitrac. But as long as you don't get carried away with tying things down you should get along ok. There is a company that sells what looks like the same thing that mounts in any pickup bed. It was shown on Trucks on TV a week or so ago.

Personally I like the side compartment in my bed. It gives me a place to put things that I don't want in the cab. I've had no problem with mine. A few people had latches that were out of adjustment that's the only problem I've heard of. It's a pretty simple fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I think the bed is structurally different because the cargo capacities for a truck with the util-bed is LOWER than a truck w/o it. The only thing I can figure is that the bed is stronger and, thus, heavier, reducing the cargo capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trucks on TV?

JS02 said:
Nissan says they have beefed up the bed to make it stronger for the Utilitrac. But as long as you don't get carried away with tying things down you should get along ok. There is a company that sells what looks like the same thing that mounts in any pickup bed. It was shown on Trucks on TV a week or so ago.

Personally I like the side compartment in my bed. It gives me a place to put things that I don't want in the cab. I've had no problem with mine. A few people had latches that were out of adjustment that's the only problem I've heard of. It's a pretty simple fix.
I don't mean to be a dolt but I live in the stoneage without cable ... who shows "Trucks on TV", I would like to try and track down the item you have mentioned. If I find it I will post what I find here for those XE owners who might be intrested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UtiliTrack Alternatives

I did some hunting and found the following product as similar to the UtiliTrack Nissan offers. It may be useful for XE folks in my position.


Slide Systems - Very much like UtiliTrack system - no drilling required - many possible accessories including toolboxes - aluminum "dock plate" - very nice (IMHO):

http://www.slidesystems.com/home.html

Slide-N-Lock - Track and Tie downs only - may require drilling.
http://www.americanvan.com/catalog/standard_rect.cfm?FamilyID=103

Of course if these product work in a "standard bed", why won't the utilitrack ... I know beating a dead horse ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I also like the side hatch. I keep my tie straps, a compressor and 2 sets of gloves in there. I keep the cleats right where I found them, in a cool box that fits under the passenger seat perfectly.

Tony B
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
as far as i'm concerned i think the side compartment idea is awesome. does anyone know if i can that installed on my SE which didn't get it. i want that side utility compartment. :domohit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Prometheus said:
as far as i'm concerned i think the side compartment idea is awesome. does anyone know if i can that installed on my SE which didn't get it. i want that side utility compartment. :domohit:
As crazy as this my sound, yes, there are two different beds for the Titan. While you could add Ultitrack to the floor of the bed, the sides and front would be impossible. The tool box and the 12 volt outlet would fall under the second category as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Answer from Nissan

Here is the final answer fron Nissan:

The Titans that come equipped with the utili-track system have reinforced
beds from the factory. What our specialists have determined is that although
the beds are the same size, the beds equipped with this package have been
reinforced in 22 areas to be able to withstand the extra weight which will
be applied to them. The Titan specialists also explained to me that if the
utili-track channels were put on a Titan that did not have a reinforced bed,
the bed walls could/would essentially be too weak and would bend inwards.

Short answer from Nissan Titan "Specialist":

The utilitrack bed has been reinforced in 22 different areas and it is
highly not recommended to get Utilitracks on a non-utilitrack bed (if that
makes sense).

Yes Virginia, there really is a difference .... :crying: sigh..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
i've got the SE and so what i'm hearing is that it doesn't matter what model i have i still can't get the utilitrack system because my bed is not reinforced from the factory? is this correct? or is it just the XE that cannot be equipped with utilitrack system? am i screwed out of getting the utilitrack system, should i be considering the alternative that i have seen in this forum. anyone know the definite answers on this? appreciate any answers...
thanks!!! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prometheus said:
i've got the SE and so what i'm hearing is that it doesn't matter what model i have i still can't get the utilitrack system because my bed is not reinforced from the factory? is this correct? or is it just the XE that cannot be equipped with utilitrack system? am i screwed out of getting the utilitrack system, should i be considering the alternative that i have seen in this forum. anyone know the definite answers on this? appreciate any answers...
thanks!!! :cheers:
In hindsight, I probably should have name this thread differently. I thought the differences were based on model (XE,SE,LE). In truth the difference is in the bed. You either have a utilibed (found on some SE and XE models) or not. If not, you are out of luck according to Nissan. You can always call Nissan and pose the question directly at 1-800-NISSAN1.

PS.. I have started another thread -- Utilitrack Alternatives? in hopes to find other aftermarket products. There is one by Slide Systems which is supposed to be in development for the Titan at this time.

Good Luck
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top