Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought the XM kit from Jamie. But I didn't get the antenna (it's big and ugly to me) and the mounting brackets were on backorder. But I knew I could install it either way. So I got only the unit and the extra parts that come with it.

Ended up installing it right under the steering wheel. I removed the lower plastic piece, then there's a metal pice that comes off with 4 bolts. Took the brackets that come with the XM unit and mounted it to the underside of this metal piece. Worked out great.. wish I had the patience to take pictures.. LOL!

Ran a ground wire to the amp bracket bolt just in case there wasn't a good ground from the mount(that came with the kit too). Plugged in the N-Bus, the antenna, and had no problems. Just waiting to activate now.

The antenna I ended up getting was this one from Crutchfield. It's super small and hardley noticable on the roof.

It was like 39.99 and then I had to buy the splitter which is another 25 or so (splits the new one lead antennas into the older 2 lead which this unit uses. The antenna is magnetic and also comes with 2 way tape, which I used. Mounted it right above the rear brake light, ran the wire in through the light (again, super easy) to under the dash and it was a done deal. (BTW, if you do buy a different antenna, make sure the leads are at least 19' long.. I don't think the ones with 14' leads would have been long enough).

Sounds great (well, the demo channels at least). And super easy compared to the instructions from Nissan. And easier to get to for any reason.

Also installed the front bug shield.. again, super nice and easy.

Kudos to Jamie for being our Parts guy! Great service!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I actually like where I installed the unit better than where it "should" be. Also much easier access. Sounds GREAT too, so I may not even worry about the FM problem unless its a simple fix. I've been hooked on XM for years now.. :)

·
Premium Member
17,186 Posts
bvstone1 said:
Well, I bought the XM kit from Jamie. But I didn't get the antenna (it's big and ugly to me) and the mounting brackets were on backorder. But I knew I could install it either way. So I got only the unit and the extra parts that come with it.

Ended up installing it right under the steering wheel. I removed the lower plastic piece, then there's a metal pice that comes off with 4 bolts. Took the brackets that come with the XM unit and mounted it to the underside of this metal piece. Worked out great.. wish I had the patience to take pictures.. LOL!

Ran a ground wire to the amp bracket bolt just in case there wasn't a good ground from the mount(that came with the kit too). Plugged in the N-Bus, the antenna, and had no problems. Just waiting to activate now.

The antenna I ended up getting was this one from Crutchfield. It's super small and hardley noticable on the roof.

It was like 39.99 and then I had to buy the splitter which is another 25 or so (splits the new one lead antennas into the older 2 lead which this unit uses. The antenna is magnetic and also comes with 2 way tape, which I used. Mounted it right above the rear brake light, ran the wire in through the light (again, super easy) to under the dash and it was a done deal. (BTW, if you do buy a different antenna, make sure the leads are at least 19' long.. I don't think the ones with 14' leads would have been long enough).

Sounds great (well, the demo channels at least). And super easy compared to the instructions from Nissan. And easier to get to for any reason.

Also installed the front bug shield.. again, super nice and easy.

Kudos to Jamie for being our Parts guy! Great service!!
This sounds alot better than the factory instructions. I have a few questions, if you would be so kind:

1. You said that the brackets are on back order, but you installed it with the brackets that came with it. Are there two different types of brackets?

2. Do you have a link or part numbers for the antenna and splitter?

3. What exactly is involved in running the antennae wire? I assume you had to take out the carpet. Do you have to take out the seat? How did you run it from the brake light down to the floor? Is it completely hidden?

Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
bestatchess said:
This sounds alot better than the factory instructions. I have a few questions, if you would be so kind:

1. You said that the brackets are on back order, but you installed it with the brackets that came with it. Are there two different types of brackets?

2. Do you have a link or part numbers for the antenna and splitter?

3. What exactly is involved in running the antennae wire? I assume you had to take out the carpet. Do you have to take out the seat? How did you run it from the brake light down to the floor? Is it completely hidden?

Thanks
1. Yes, they are different brackets. If you look at the install directions you see what comes with it. Brackets, a ground cable, some 2 sided tape, velcro.. a hole bunch of stuff for different install options. These all come with the tuner itself.

2. Heres a link to the antenna I got. The splitter is shown off to the left as an "optional accessory".
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0ASQLPpQcE0/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=18&g=177550&I=003XM1SAA&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

3. The antenna install is pretty simple. In the back on the headliner, you'll see 2 plastic square covers. They pop right out to give access to 2 8mm bolts that hold the cyclops light onto the roof. You'll need a deep-wall 8mm socket to get these out.

Remove the bolts, then you can go in the bed and pull the light out.. you'll see exactly where you can run wires. Once inside, you can run the wire under the headliner to the rear passenger side. Then find a place to route it (there are a lot of options, I chose to pull out the rubber door molding and stick it in there down to the floor).

Then remove the rear and front kickpanels.. they just pop right up. Run the antenna wire with the other wires, up to the front kickpanel and up under the dash. Super simple.

To mount the XM unit, remove the two screws holding the lower panel on below the steering wheel. Then pull the piece off. Then you'll see a metal piece held on by 4 bolts. First slide the receiver up there so you can see how it would mount. I put the bottom edge on the edge of the metal there (so the side with the antenna an n-bus connectors are facing down). I put some rubber window stripping on the tuner bottom edge, and rested it on the lip of the metal piece. (It could go down behind it a little, but I liked this better for access to the wires should I need to unplug them.

Now once you findn out how it goes in there, remove the metal pice, attache the brackets to the tuner, then mark 2 holes to drill in the metal. I then ran short screws up through the holes, and put those little speaker mount clips on the bracket holes that are flush with the metal piece (near the top), and screwed it in.

Then I ran the ground cable from a screw on the tuner untit bracket to an amp bracket bolt. Put everything back, plug in the n-bus and antenna, tie up the wires out of the way, and you're done.

Maybe an hour tops for the hole job. A lot easier than the Instruction manuals.

A lot of this may not make sense until you actually get there to do it. I wanted to take pictures, but my ADD always kicks in when I'm doing something like that... LOL!

·
Premium Member
17,186 Posts
O.K., very nice, thanks alot! No Body Control Module removal and no accelerator panel removal and a much less obtrusive antenna. Maybe you should send Nissan an email. They could probably integrate the antenna into the third brake light and you wouldn't even see it.

When I do this install I will take some pictures if nobody does it first. I will have to wait a little while as I just spent a couple of grand on cap + roof rack + roof rack attachments and now my wife wants to drop a few grand on remodeling her bathroom.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And if anyone REALLY needs pics I could take some as well. At least of where I mounted the tuner. :) But, once you look it's pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
548 Posts
mfr of your xm?

who makes your kit you got from jamie?
clarion?
xm itself?
does it have a tuner or commander module?
can u send us pics of all your stuff u did?
mine was from the factory on my monte carlo pace car
i did a 1995 kingcab nissan xm in oct 2001

·
Registered
10 Posts
bvstone1 said:
Ya, I actually like where I installed the unit better than where it "should" be. Also much easier access. Sounds GREAT too, so I may not even worry about the FM problem unless its a simple fix. I've been hooked on XM for years now.. :)
sounds like a great idea - I put mine where it "should" be, had to make some brackets out of plumbers tape to hold it in - haven't listened to the crappy fm since I put it in - sounds awsome on the bose!

:cheers:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks Bvstone1!

I'd like to thank bvstone1 for this great write-up. I just completed my install using this method, and it worked out very well. I received everything I needed to install XM from Marlboro Nissan last week, but the mounting bracket kit looked rusty as heck, like it was sitting in a puddle for 3 months, so I didn't want to use it.

I got a hold of Jamie, and he said that he'd send me a new kit later this week, but he'd have to order it first. In the meantime, I read about the complicated install using the OEM mounting bracket, then I stumbled upon this thread.

This method works great. I was able to complete the install using material from the receiver kit, and not needing any of the parts from the bracket kit, which allows me to cancel to replacement bracket, and send the rusty scrap back for credit. It also is far less complicated, as there is no need to loosen/remove the accelerator assembly.

Bvstone1 was correct in stating that there is lots of room below the steering wheel, and I was able to drill 2 small holes in the sheetmetal plate for the supplied self-tapping hardware, and easily mount the receiver. I also used the terk magnetic mount antenna at the third brake light, as suggested also. All of these tips were real time savers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought from Jamie too. Got the same bag of ugly/rusty factor brackets. Couldn't think of where you could squeeze them.

Like the initiator of this thread, I took the L brackets that came with the kit and bolted it to the knee plate below the steering wheel. Easy to get to. The lower dash panel snaps off and the panel releases by removing four bolts. Just secure your tuner to the back side. I almost used double stick tape. Routing the antenna is easy although I have an Armada and just it poked in along the headliner trim.

Bottom line is all you need is:

The tuner from Jamie ($270) and any XM antenna out there. If you use the new low profile single wire ones ($30.00) you'll need the splitter ($25-30) too as the tuner has two inputs, one for satellite signal and one for terresteral. The new antennas handle both with one lead but must be split to input into the tuner.

After you ditch the idea of using factory instructions, the factory bracket, the factory antenna extension, the install becomes childs play. If you can hook up a Roady you can hook up this. Plug the N-bus into the tuner on the antenna side jack (there is another similar female jack put there to confuse you), plug the splitter into the tuner, plug the antenna into the splitter, and you will instantly have signal.

The only challenge is hiding the wires neatly and sticking the box to the back of knee panel.

Kind of tricky to figure out, but your factory buttons exercize quit a bit of control over the XM tuner. Will give title, artist, and let you search by genre.

I would have nver blown $120 on the Roady if i new it was this simple.

Note to Jamie: What is with those factory brackets? Are you sure your shipping the right thing. I might use them to mount a HiLift jack somewhere.

·
Registered
183 Posts
schneid said:
After you ditch the idea of using factory instructions, the factory bracket, the factory antenna extension, the install becomes childs play.
I agree. Plus it turns out better too!

If you can hook up a Roady you can hook up this. Plug the N-bus into the tuner on the antenna side jack (there is another similar female jack put there to confuse you), plug the splitter into the tuner, plug the antenna into the splitter, and you will instantly have signal.
You know, I must have spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why the N-bus connector did not fit until I found the "correct" one on the other end - D'oh!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep, that extra connector input was a *****. The N-bus just wouldn't plug in. At first I thought I had the wrong kit with the giant rusty brackets and all. Then I remembered the N-bus plugged in on the same side as the antenna. Double duh!

Anyway, the bottom line for all here is that if can change a lightbulb you can install the factory kit. Factory bracket and antennta extension are not needed. Splitter is if you use the new single wire low profile antennas. You do want to use the new antennas and splitter as the single skinny wire is easy to run and hide.

The prize is that the factory Pioneer tuner sounds to much better than using the Aux jack, tape adaptor, or FM modulator. The line level is even so volumn doesn't have to be turned way up and you don't have to buy the PIE amp and cables to fix that. The radio fully integrates with your factory head although I'm sure there are differences between the RF and Bose. I have the factory manuals and there is no documentation that I can find.

If any one knows what head unit buttons do what with both the RF and the Bose let us know.

Don't wait. Call Jamie today before he runs out. While you are at it asked what the heck we are to do with the monstrous rusty factory bracket kit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great thread and I really appreciate this information. I have a LE with the RF system but there is not a SAT button on the front...just the AUX. If I install the XM receiver does it use the AUX switch? Does that mean I couldn't plug in a IPOD to the Aux input on the front?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Houston Titan said:
Great thread and I really appreciate this information. I have a LE with the RF system but there is not a SAT button on the front...just the AUX. If I install the XM receiver does it use the AUX switch? Does that mean I couldn't plug in a IPOD to the Aux input on the front?
Do you have the rear A/V controls? If so, there will be no SAT button. (Please forgive me on the following instructions...I'll explain afterwards) You will get to SAT mode by pressing the 1st button on the left as this toggles you through the different modes.

Now, the only reason I know this is because my dealer had to replace my radio and A/C control panel after they scratched it doing some other work. However, they replaced it with the wrong panel, the one with the rear A/V controls even though I don't have the rear A/V in my KC. But, while I was waiting until my next trip down there to have them replace it, I stumbled upon the different method of getting to the SAT mode.

I hope this helps or at least makes some sort of sense.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got the kit from Jamie too. Some rust on the brackets but shot them with a little T9 Boeshield and used them anyway.

Nixed the Nissan through glass antenna but opted for a similiar Terk XM 11 and mounted on top of 3rd brake light. I already had a CB mag mount just forward if the light so the 6" antenna was no big deal and didn't need a ground plane.

Simple install

1 - 20 of 24 Posts